Inappropriate Movies Your Parents Took You To See

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jayce, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

On the other side - I rented the 2009 Star Trek to watch with my son who was 8 or 9 at the time. It's Star Trek. I used to watch it when I was that age. Well first Kick tools around with some green girl. Then there is the genocide (obliteration of the Vulcans). There was something else but I forget.
    (Now he is 15 and loves the new star trek movies. The first (2009) was way too over the top for me to have any interest going forward.)

2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I saw Friday the 13th Part 8 Jason Takes Manhattan when I was 5 :eek:

3. My sister took me to see "Dressed to Kill" I'm sure she was cringing during the sex scenes and where Angie Dickinson (or rather her body double) fondling herself. It didn't bother me at all of course but we didn't talk after the film. I didn't know what to say and I'm sure she didn't either.

4. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I think I was 12 when someone brought a video copy of The Exterminator to our house for the family to watch. Eek! No desire to ever watch that again.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I actually have the impression that younger people today are more exposed to "adult-oriented" content than ever because it's so unavoidable.

You were essentially the first generation that grew up with cable and VCRs. I was mid-teens when those became available in my area, so as a younger kid, the only way I could see an "R"-rated movie was to go to a theater.

On the other hand, you could turn on HBO or rent a video and see that stuff - there's still some parental control over those, but not nearly as much as I experienced.

Fast-forward to today, and the Internet makes everything available to everyone! No boundaries!

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have to say Jaws as well, and I was probably 10. I thought for sure we wouldn't get in due to the incredibly long line. We went to a really large theatre that only had one screen...wish those were still around! Anyway, they had like 5 tickets left when we bought ours, so guess where we got to sit? Yup, right in the front row. Did I love it? Absolutely! But it scared the daylights out of me.

Now that I'm older, my parents took my sister and I to see Klute but made us lay down in the back seat of the car. Wow. Not very appropriate for sure.

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

My old man used to have these marathon poker games at the house. The wives decided to take the kids to a drive-in. I was seven and the movie was Psycho! At the time, Janet Leigh made more of an impression on me that anything else!;)

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Both my parents and grandparents took me to movies all the time. They were all movie fanatics and would see anything that came out. They took me to see all kinds of R rated movies including Pet Sematary because my grandmother and I shared a love for horror movies. The only time I was not allowed to see something was when there was a lot of sex involved. As far as violence was concerned my family didn't care as long as the movie was good. One of my mother's favorite movies she took me to see was Rambo. We both loved it.

9. I dind't get with my parent (which are separated for about 27 years) too much into the cinema and didn't see any inapropiate movies. But I've seen a lot on tv (includig one man beeing "impield" with red hot iron... brrrr - and this during dayilight).
    But I've been on a play about Anne Frank (I was older then 19 by then) and it was a sex scene where the girl got half naked. I was pretty shocked, throu all that I've seen naked girls since when I was a kid (and I liked it!) and there was no warning about this stuff... well, the thing it was that was a mother with a boy (no older then 12) in the audience.

10. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

It was at the drive-in, my parents took me with them to see Five Easy Pieces. I still remember seeing the diner scene but I slept through most of it. I was 9. I do remember some screaming from the audio waking me and then asking about one of the sex scenes - what were they doing? My dad replied they were playing tag and I should go back to sleep.

11. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Fun thread:

My mom was a big Burt Reynolds fan back in the 70's. I'm the oldest of 5 boys, my youngest brother is 7 years my junior.

So, around 1974 she takes us ALL to see The Longest Yard. I was 13 my youngest brother was 6 or 7 at the time... Anyway, from Bernadette Peter's scene where she disappears under the camera shot to all of the F bombs we laughed all the way home. I'll never forget the line "I think I broke his F'n neck".

We had to watch what we said around her but my mom was a good sport. I miss her.

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For me it was Animal House. Went with a date in high school but was still too young to really have done much with a female back in those days, and they got to the scene when John Belushi looks into the sorority house room on the ladder. My date and her sister, sitting on each side of me, ruins the moment by covering my eyes! Didn't see a thing....was secretly pretty bummed, but what was I going to do...push them both away and then be in the dog house?

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Poltergeist? Now there's an innappropriate scary film for someone of 5!

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I saw SNF again five years ago for the first time since I was a teen, and I was still offended by it. Just too raunchy for me, but it's amazing the other films that are a lot worse that are fine for me. Weird.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Are you kidding me? Really? We've really lost it!

Rocker likes this.
  16. First probably the Birds, I was 7 right when it came out. Then The Group I was 11 or 12. Scarred for life.

17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Night Of The Iguana. I think I was 9. On a double feature with something I can't remember.

18. chacha

Well, that helps explain things.

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I can't recall my parents ever taking me to see an inappropriate film (mainly because they had no interest in movies at all) but I certainly subjected THEM to a ridiculous number of inappropriate films after I talked them into buying a VCR. But, I mean, to be fair, I hadn't actually seen 'Pink Flamingos' myself before I subjected the whole family to it. So, you know, at least I have plausible deniability. Oh yeah, and 'In The Realm Of The Senses' as well. And 'Putney Swope.' I really don't think they even knew that movies like that existed.

johnnyyen likes this.
  20. AKA Bubbleup

AKA Bubbleup Forum Resident

When I was 10 or 11 (younger brother was 6) my parents took us to see a double feature Zardoz and Westworld. Thought Westworld was super cool (I dug sci fi). Considering my age, Zardoz was lost on me (think pops just needed a frontal fix). I later came to realize that Zardoz was just inappropriately bad.

21. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I saw Jaws in the theatre when it played at a matinee sometime after it's release, I was pretty young and it really froze me with fear, I was stuck there just watching, I couldn't even look away but by the end it was fun in a movie type way where I knew it was fake. Same with the Exorcist when it was on TV, that was completely different though, it wasn't fun, it really freaked me out and I was literally paralyzed with fear watching it. Even to this day I get the creeps hearing that music, but now I can just appreciate it as a movie, but as a kid, that is some scary ass ****!!!

I got to watch the Cheech and Chong movies and Eddie Murphy's Delirious really young too, my Mom will still curse my Dad for exposing us to that stuff because of the language me and my brother learned!

22. chacha

I took my mom to see El Topo when I was 15. Yikes - talk about inappropriate.

93curr likes this.
  23. Trace

Trace Senior Member

When I was young, our local theater didn't pay much attention to Ratings and we could go into see pretty much whatever we wanted. However, the one that sticks in my mind was when my mom went with me to see a horror movie called "They Came From Within" (aka Shivers). I was 12 and it was the most uncomfortable experience of my young life.

If you're not familiar with the film, it's about a parasite that turns people into sex maniacs. Yeah, not the best choice for a "Mom & Me" outing. We didn't really speak much the rest of that evening....

After that, she let me go to horror movies by myself or with friends.

[​IMG]

24. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

This was not me but I remember going to see Silence of the Lambs and there was a mother and 2 children ages about 4 and 6 in the row in front of us. I just felt bad for those kids.

My parents never took me to see any movies other than Disney movies, but my sister took me to see Slap Shot when I was 11. I loved it.

25. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

My parents never took me to anything "bad". But I got in a lot of trouble for taking my 15 yr old brother to see SCREAM back in '96.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.