Inappropriate Movies Your Parents Took You To See

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jayce, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Fritz The Cat was mentioned, saw that one at a the local drive-In at 10 or so. Also 2 'Happy Hooker" movies, around 9 to 11 years old. Can't remember if my Mom took me, or my best friend's Dad. Probably one for each.

Texastoyz likes this.
  2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I think we went to see Looking for Mr. Goodbar with the kids asleep in the back seat.

Texastoyz likes this.
  3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Lets all watch Porky's while the grandparents are visiting.

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

That was the lovely 1971 Playmate Of The Year, Tina Weber Clark. When I first saw it on VHS as a 23 year old, I couldn't enjoy it; I nearly had a heart attack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anne Archer, and a very young (22, at the time) Kathleen Quinlan also co-starred.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Texastoyz likes this.
  5. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I just saw that for the first time recently; it's a good movie. Someone on the film's IMDB board said he and his brother got in to see it when they were about 8 years old, and were really upset when it didn't turn out to be a movie about a giant iguana on a killing rampage.

Dudley Morris and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  6. knob twirler

I don't recall seeing it at the theatre, but I must have seen a rerelease of The Godfather in the mid 70s. It might have been in '75, when Part II was released, which would have made me four years old. At any rate, I reportedly told my babysitter later that I thought Jesus was nice, but I really didn't like God the Father. When asked why, I said it was because he killed that horsie and put it the man's bed.

arley likes this.
  7. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

my mum made me watch 'Don't Look Now' when I was 12.

don't think I've ever recovered.

somnar likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

When I was a kid I used to ask my Dad to take me to the cinema and to kill two birds with one stone he'd take me downtown to the Royal cinema which, at the time, showed Italian movies only. Usually a double bill. First a comedy and then a drama. There was always tits in the comedy one.

I can't remember any of the names of these movies though the comedy was usually a Franco e Ciccio movie. I was maybe 12 but if you had a parent you could see these adult movies. I think you could smoke and drink espresso in there still.

9. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Can't recall the name sonething B.C I think, it starred Raquel Welch, cavemen dinosaurs, and naked women. I guess I must have been around 9 or 10. Seem to remember I enjoyed it!!!

10. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

My dad is very old fashioned, and wouldn't let us watch anything, but my mom was the exact opposite. My dad worked nights, so we'd watch Nightmare on Elm Street and similar movies when I was 6-7 years old and up. I turned out mostly fine, so don't worry! :)

11. My aunt took me and my 3 older brothers to a drive-in to watch Dirty Harry -I was 7. I still liked it.

12. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Me too, although let's face it, age 12 (or thereabouts) was pretty much the perfect age to see Kentucky Fried Movie. It does not require a great deal of intellectual or cultural sophistication to appreciate fully.

I cringed when I came home one day and my 10 year old daughter was watching Zombieland with my (ex) wife's knowledge and permission. She showed no ill effects (thought it was hilarious), but I mourned the disappearance of the little girl who used to watch Tinkerbell movies. Which I think is what's going on most of the time when parents refuse to let their kids watch stuff that they must know is tamer than stuff they've already seen and handled just fine.

rebellovw likes this.
  13. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

They didn't take me to see them, but they did actively allow me to rent some questionable choices, starting with The Rocky Horror Picture Show when I was like eight or something.

johnaltman likes this.
  14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

My mom really wanted to see "Rosemary's Baby" and who needs a sitter when you had a station wagon? I was 5 and supposed to be lying asleep in the back--that didn't work!

Rich C likes this.
  15. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

For awhile when I was a kid, I'd often spend the weekend with relatives. My uncle started the tradition of us going to the movies every Saturday night. It was a single screen theater, so we saw whatever was playing: The Deer Hunter, Midnight Express, American Gigolo, etc. Dubious choices for a middle schooler, but I did get to see some really great films.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  16. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Oh, and a friend probably wins this thread: Because she liked to watch "The Love Boat" as a kid, her 60-something dad thought she'd enjoy "Cruising" too.

Incredibly, they sat through the whole thing!

17. knob twirler

:laugh:

Tanx likes this.
  18. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman. I would've been 3 when it came out, but given how far out in the sticks we were, I may have been 4 when it came to our town. I just remember Mom holding the popcorn box in front of my face when anything scary happened.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

:laugh: When I was a kid, you hadda go to sleazy back-alley joints to see "inappropriate" movies . . . which my parents never did.

driverdrummer likes this.
  20. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I have very similar experiences with my parents at the Drive-In.

I don't even think we went that often. But I remember one double feature. Pinocchio and Bonnie and Clyde. I was supposed to sleep during Bonnie and Clyde. I also watched all of Dirty Harry another time.

Come to think of it, Pinocchio is the scariest of all those movies. I watched it as an adult about 10 years ago and found it disturbing, but it didn't effect me that way when I was little.

jupiter8 likes this.
  21. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Saw First Blood with my grandmother. She actually enjoyed it quite a bit as she loved Sly in Rocky.

SomeCallMeTim and driverdrummer like this.
  22. arley

arley Forum Resident

The parents brought me to see 'Hawaii' in 1966--the Michener story about a missionary going to Hawaii to proselytize. Pretty tame stuff, right? Well, at that time I was a young teenager with the usual hormonal rages, and there on the silver screen was a scene with several nubile shirtless adolescent girls paddling an outrigger canoe. Oh my, my. Didn't know my heart could race that fast, and how quickly other circulatory phenomena could occur.

LivingForever and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  23. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Parents never took me to any. I do remember however sneaking in to see 10 (Bo Derek, Dudley Moore) with a friend when I was pretty young, maybe 11.

24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Never took me to anything bad, but I can remember watching An American Werewolf In London with my father.

25. DanBNash

DanBNash Forum Resident

My dad took me to see Animal House and Deer Hunter in 1978 when I was 13.
    He didn't take me but he dropped me off with my friend at a theater to see Tommy when I was 9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.