Indiana Jones on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GabeG, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Re: A tale of buying Indiana Jones

hmmmmmmmmm. My Eckerds did not have them in stock but had the flyer with the $34.99 price advertised. The store employee called the manager and he checked Tuesday's invoice and he confirmed he did not receive any shipment of this title. He called another Eckerds nearby and got the same story..."Did not receive any."

Has anyone actually bought this dvd at an Eckerds? Or, could this be a ploy to play with the competition? Or is it just a mistake?

I took the flyer down the street to Wal Mart and they did price match. The manager had to be called to the counter and seemed shocked at the price on the flyer. A word of caution though........most "price match" policies only apply if the advertiser has the item in stock. If asked if Eckerds has the dvd in stock just say "I don't know (gulp!)....I'd rather shop at Wal Mart."

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Maybe those of us west of the east coast could recruit some of the east-coasters to do the Eckerd's/Best Buy loop for us...before someone wises up. :D

I'm going to be Eckerd's made a big mistake, and pulled any stock of the title IF they had any (or just didn't ship them out to the stores).

3. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

It sure seems that way but, wouldn't they be violating state sales law (bait and switch) ? A sign posted at the store front stating a mistake in the flyer is usually how they rectify the mistake. It does appear strange. I'm still curious if anyone has purchased a dvd of "Indiana Jones" from Eckerds at the advertised $34.99 price.

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've heard that Staples also had it low-priced in the $35 range, and that Wal-mart was honoring that price. There've been reports of Wal-mart automatically reducing to that price too, with signs saying that they shop the competition so YOU save.

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

It's not really bait and switch, since they're not offering something else in its place to "switch" you to. But, one guess is that they got a very limited amount and they sold out immediately...especially at that price.

I didn't check our local Walmart. Staples? Hmmm...there might be one in Westland. I'm not too hot to get the title yet, but I'm sure there will be specials on it up until the holidays.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

We don't have Eckerd's or Staples up here. We don't even have a Best Buy! Hrumf! The shopping center of Wyoming my ass! Hopefully Wally World will have it discounted under the "competitor's" price, and hopefully that'll be a national discount rather than a local one. I'll know by tomorrow at some time. I don't wanna pay a penny over $40 now!
    Dan C

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I assume the first mention of widescreen here was a typo. But do you really need to "put a clerk in his place"? I'm sorry, but that sounds really aggressive and arrogant - dude's just doing his job...

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yeah. I guess that did come off a bit arrogant. What I was trying to convey was that when he suggested widescreen, I just let him know that I wouldn't consider fullscreen. True, he was doing his job, and I really didn't do anything stupid or agressive. It's just that I'm rather passionate about films being in their original aspect ratio, and I was trying to convey that passion here.

Once again, "Sorry." :sigh:

Harry
    ...board apologizer, online...

9. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

many thanks for posting this!!!!

I got a copy of the circular and bought the DVD set at Circuit City today. they matched the price and took off another 10 percent. total with tax and everything was 33 bucks and change. now that's a deal!

thanks again!

10. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I bought the Widescreen version at Best Buy but haven't had a chance to open it as of yet. I was wondering about the extra 5th disc that was suppose to be included.

Is it slipped in with one of the 4 DVDs or does the set have 5 visible and separate DVDs. I only count 4 from the outside wrapping of my set. Any thoughts???

11. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

It's a 4 disc set...

12. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

The fifth DVD should be apparent as a bulge behind the rear insert.

Jay

13. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Hey Dan-
    My local Wally World had it for $40.

My kids bought it for me for my birthday- but got the Widescreen version, and got raped at FYE buying it there. I returned it as I wanted the Full Screen, happened to be in Wally World- and grabbed it for $39.95
    Chris

14. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Last night I stopped at an Eckerds on my way home. Their circular has it for $34.99. They didn't have any copies (they claimed the didn't receive a shipment yet). So, I walked over to Blockbuster and they did a price match.

Todd

15. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I picked this up yesterday and watched Raiders of the Lost Arc. It looked really good and the sound was good overall, but sometimes it seemed to me the dialogue got a bit lost and the brass section was too loud. Besides that, it was a good experience and brought back many memories of my youth.

16. GabeG

GabeG New Member Thread Starter

I keep reading reviews about how these discs have been remixed, but I'm not so sure. Something that keeps coming up in the reviews that doesn't sound right is that the first two movies did not have split surround tracks. Even though 70mm magnetic tracks originally provided for a mono surround, beginning with Apocolypse Now stereo surrounds were possible.

Empire Strikes Back definately had one and my memory of Raiders is that it also had split surrounds. Growing up in NYC, the vast majority my (many) viewings of these films was at the Loews Astor Plaza, which was (and still is) one of the best theaters around.

What I'm trying to say in a very long winded way is that my memory of Raiders sound is pretty much what's on the dvd. While I'm the last one to claim that sonic memory is reliable (I don't think it is at all), I do remember thinking every time I saw Raiders that the music was really prominent in both tone and placement in the surrounds. Also, every time the pilot in the flying wing scene shot his gun, I jumped at how loud the surround effect was and how prominent the stereo effect was in the surround.

17. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

hmmmm........ I take it still no one has actually picked up a copy at Eckerds ??? Interesting.:confused:

18. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Really? I've already put the outer box away for storage. I didn't notice anything obvious. Guess I should take it back out, and have a look!

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Superman was shown with stereo surrounds a half year or so below Apocalypse Now. The surround use was very conservative however.

Other than the surround levels being a bit higher, the Raiders DVD sounds pretty similar to even the pro-logic versions I have heard before. It is certainly not a radical departure from the original.

Regards,

20. GabeG

Really!!??!

I've never heard that. Interesting.

21. Todd Fredericks

I recommend if anyone stops at Eckerds (and doesn't feel like the hassle of going somewhere else for a price-match) have them write you up a rain check slip (which is free). The gaurantee the sale price until they receive their copies (if they ever do).

22. Todd Fredericks

Similar background as you yet for me many veiwings of 'Raiders' were at the newly opened (now torn down) Loews multi-plex on 34th street. :)

23. GabeG

That theater and the original murray hill were my backups!!

24. Todd Fredericks

Loved those places, especially the old Murray Hill!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.