Indiana Jones - Spielberg interested in possible reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

maybe he can bring his raptors along...

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I must admit Harrison own this!

Holy Diver likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Love the two Abrams films. They're the best that the pretty campy Trek franchise-referring specifically to the atrocious and cringe-worthy TOS-has to offer, but that's another thread.

Regarding Indy, the acting is important but not nearly as important as the writing and directing. Ford starred in Crystal Skull, and that film was a piece of garbage. If the film is well-written, cast and directed, it will be a fine film. If not, then it will fizzle like its predecessor. They should have stopped with Last Crusade, but now that they've given us Crystal Skull, I feel that we need something to bring the franchise back to its former glory. No franchise should end as abominably as the Indy franchise would if Crystal Skull were the last film.

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I was a big fan of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Sean Patrick Flanery was very good as a younger Indy, but he's not the star that Disney will be looking for, and he doesn't really look the part of an older Indy.
    [​IMG]

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My brief River Phoenix story: an old pal of mine was the A camera operator on I Love You to Death and invited me to the set for a day, where I got director Lawrence Kasdan to autograph my laserdisc of Silverado (one of my top 5 favorite westerns, and I hate westerns). A couple of years later, my friend invited us to the set of Batman Returns in 1992, and who walks by the craft services truck but River Phoenix! He sits down with me and my friend and we had a great freewheeling 20-minute conversation about the business, life in general, politics, and so on. I was stunned when the kid was dead the following year in a drug overdose. Smart guy, very witty, very aware... absolutely the antithesis of what I would presume a drugged-out celeb would be.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I thought it was Chris Pratt?

7. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

please god no

Plan9 likes this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I think I'd actually probably be fine with new Indiana Jones films without Ford starring, as long as they were well-written and well-directed. Look at the James Bond films for how this can work.

eddiel and Encuentro like this.
  9. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I love River. For some reason unknown to me, he's the only actor or musician that I've ever felt any kind of "real" affection for (beyond just appreciating them for their artistic talent). I think it has something to do with his portrayal of Mike Waters in My Own Private Idaho. He gave such an amazing authentic performance in that film. And from what I've heard, a lot of his character in that movie was based on what River brought to the role (outside of what Gus Van Sant wrote)... I guess knowing that, and loving his character in that movie makes me feel like I somehow know him. That probably sounds completely ridiculous (especially coming from a 46 year old man), but it's the best way I can explain it. When River died you would have thought I lost a close personal friend... I know, kind of strange.

By the way, John Franco put together something called "My Own Private River" in 2012 as a tribute to River. From what I've read, it's basically a re-cut My Own Private Idaho with a lot more River in it. I think it was in a few film festivals but never got any other kind of release. Any chance you can pull some Hollywood strings and let me know where I can get a copy of it?

PH416156 and mikeyt like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was very surprised to find in meeting the kid that he had a good sense of humor and was very well-read. Much brighter guy than I would've expected. It makes his death even more of a senseless waste. That's an actor who I bet easily had another 30-40 years of good roles ahead.

agaraffa and mikeyt like this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You have a point here. I do wonder though if the association of Ford with the Indy character is stronger than any of the Bond actors with the Bond character. To me I feel like there's a stronger link between Ford and Indy. So casting is key. But, yeah, I think it could work.

12. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

That nullifies everything else you said.:sigh:

13. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

I see it a chance to do something fun and adventurous. I do not think anyone "owns" a character like this really.
    If they can really do some scenic stuff, fun adventure etc, that is not cheesy or silly it could be cool!

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Seeing how well Jurassic World did I'm sure this will be made with Chris on board.

15. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

A 5th final Indiana Jones with Harrison Ford

The 4th one was great

16. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

>>>

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a big if. Bear in mind that even if they had a script ready in a year, by the time they got it into production, Spielberg would be close to 70, and Lucas -- who would still be involved as creator and co-producer -- would be around 72. These are not the same guys who made the earlier films in their 40s and 50s.

On the other hand, Ridley Scott just made The Martian, which is an extremely fast-moving, complex film, and he's 77. So ya never know...

18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

*sigh* If they're gonna do it, I guess get Chris Pratt on board. I have no issue with him as an actor or being Indiana Jones. But I wish they'd either a) kill it or b) go one last one with Ford and make it GOOD this time.

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I forgot to mention before that George Lucas should have zero involvement in any future films. Otherwise I won't expect much.

20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Lucas shouldn't even be allowed to buy a ticket to see any future Star Wars on Indy films at the theater.

21. nbakid2000

George should be allowed to write the storyline and HAVE IT APPROVED and NO control over the script itself. If the storyline sucks, then get someone else in there.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Technically, I think Disney owns the rights to all the Indiana Jones characters... lock, stock, and barrel.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Disney owns them, too!

[​IMG]

BGLeduc likes this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

That's what I thought as well. It would be interesting do have Speilberg direct without any input from Lucas, just to see what Spielberg's solo version would be like.

25. nbakid2000

James Bond films are well written? :wtf:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.