indy mike's pick ONE tune/hour theme o' the week: O Canada...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"Yankee Lady" - Jessie Winchester.

Jessie, of course, was the pacifist draft-evading singer-songwriter who called Canada (Montreal???) his home during the late-60's to late-70's until he was granted amnesty under the Jimmie Carter administration. This song is from his self-titled debut LP (1970). Other Canadian link: Robbie Robertson produced and played on this album.

Jim W.

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Come to Me" -- France Joli

The first Quebecois to make the top 40 of the US charts, in 1979.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Oscar Peterson- Happy Go Lucky Local

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Since Tim Neely beat me to Kon Kan:) , I'll present another little-remembered 80s technopop number:

Living on Video--Trans-X.
    Peaked at #61 in 1986. Joel Whitburn says Trans-X was really Pascal Languirand from Montreal. Also available in a French version, "Vivre sur Video."

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

How could anyone not mention one of Canada's biggest bands, the Tragically Hip? "New Orleans Is Sinking" is one of their best!

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If I had 669,210 Dollars - Barenaked Ladies

;)

Regards,

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Takin' Care o' Bidness - BTO...

8. fivecent

fivecent Member

"Star Baby" by The Guess Who

I've always enjoyed that one from The Great White North.

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

The singer's frustration grew with the each fluctuation in the exchange rate. ;)

10. John B

Which Way You Goin' Billy? The Poppy Family - A guilty pleasure that is highly nostalgic for me.

11. John B

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot.

Very Canadian in theme, subject, singer and location. Gordon still returns every year and sings for the family of those who drowned.

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Funny thing, but the B-side of that single--"Endless Sleep"--doesn't seem to be found anywhere but on the 45(though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong).

Earlier in the thread, I listed Gord's "Early Morning Rain"--great choice, obviously--but it wasn't his first U.S. 45. In fact, as Gord Lightfoot, he recorded two 45's for ABC-Paramount back around '62(Mr. Neely's guide can be very helpful when you remember to consult it). However, Gord did have one WB 45 from 1965--#5621 to be exact--"I'm Not Sayin'"/"For Lovin' Me," and that's the promo I have. Same takes as used later on the UA albums, but the mono mixes are a bit different from the stereo, though not excessively so.

On "Edmund Fitzgerald": remember when some critics considered that song not a tribute but exploitation? I'll guess the families didn't think so, if Gord's still playing it to this day.

ED:cool:

13. John B

How do you do it ED? I have just returned from starting a Poppy Family thread and I thought about including that song but didn't. It is one of their best.
    Probably, it is their most obscure gem.

John

14. John B

He does play it to this day for the families - for free! Perhaps to counter the critics but I doubt it. Gord appears down to earth - it's important to him.

15. You've lost me Jamie. :confused: What is the Canadian connection with this song?

The Co-Dependents - Anna (Go To Him)

Billy Cowsill's band The Co-Dependents based here in Calgary, do a note perfect version of the Arthur Alexander classic, a la The Beatles arrangement.

Billy is the one with glasses.

Attached Files:

16. From the obscure files:

Deep Purple sound-a-like band from Montreal in 1973, "Warpig", who no doubt took their name from the Black Sabbath song, had a mid-level hit with "Rockstar". The lead singer could hit the high notes very similar in style to Ian Gillan. The song would have fit well on "In Rock" or "Fireball".

Here is a sample of the lyrics from the song.
    "...Oh the hot life of a rock star stole away my virgin wife..." :laugh:

I picked up the single some months later in a delet bin for 29 cents. Ah, those were the days... :)

Attached Files:

17. Popular Mechanics - Oil Daddy

Great alt.rock band from Winnipeg in the late 1970s, early 1980s. They released two independent albums, s/t and "Western World". The Mechanics had many very good original songs. Great hooks, smart lyrics. They also had a fine stable of cover tunes including a note perfect rendition of Talking Heads - "Pulled Up" as well as versions of "Stepping Stone" "Mary Anne With The Shaky Hands", and "Kicks".

I could have chosen 7 or 8 different songs easily between the two albums. Oil Daddy is song about hanging out in the summer and seeing all these beautiful girls who have everything courtesy of a "sugar daddy". They don't have to work hard, just look pretty.

Oil Daddy

She said I'm looking for an oil daddy
    Have you seen one around?
    The shops are beckoning with the new wave sound
    My friend told me about the marrying kind
    She said get yourself an oil daddy and put him in your bind, Oh!

Get down
    Tease all the boys in town
    Get brown
    Tease all the boys in town

With your AM radio blaring on the main beach
    When you see an oil daddy, you just act llike a peach
    You're willing to compliment his body when he looks like a beach ball
    Anything required to obtain those fashions for next fall, Oh!

Chorus / middle eight

You're looking prestigious when you drive his sports car
    If it weren't for oil daddy, you'd be stuck in a bar
    Well this job is really simple and it's easy to understand
    Just go to the beach and work on your tan, Oh!

Chorus....

:laugh:

18. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

The Hot Knife Boogie- The Good Brothers (1980)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.