Inefficient Speakers... Let's talk Tube Power!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Funky54, May 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If you love speakers that you feel blossom with big power, stay away from tubes. Sure it can be done but the cost and maintenance is a serious number. If I had 20k to throw down on a pair of mono blocks, game on. But if you're trying to light them up for less than 5k, it's not likely to end well.

Also, lets not forget about the heat they are going to put into a room or on your equipment. The heat those big bossy tube amps generate literally burns them up over time especially if they dont have point to point wiring.

SKean likes this.
  2. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I paid 1.3K for my turn-key refurbed Dynaco monoblocks about 10 years ago. They were biased down to ~40wpc.
    Still singing lovely today. Have rolled in a few matching pairs of rectifiers and outputs since then, of course.
    /just sayin'

When i wanna tear the roof off the suckah, i go to my Sansui 990DB/Chorus II solid state rig.

So yeah. Tube amplification best for lower db listening. Which i do a lot of. No shame in that at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  3. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

If your system can't reproduce dynamics adequately then it's not hi-fi

Robert C likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

:doh: I give up.

5. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

Yes I did actually verify this with my dealer who is a long time ARC rep before I had the 150's installed. I went from the 6550"s to the 150's so I can't comment on long term direct experience regarding the 120's but I have listened to amps with them and the 150's provide more oomph as you say but also just have a more engaging sound character IMO. The leap from the old tubes to the new was dramatic and well worth the money for me it was like getting a new amp. You are correct that not just any amp can handle the 150'sso you must check with the manufacturer of your amp before installing just to be safe.

SKean likes this.
  6. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Good man with your reply. Feel free to give us a more winded report on your reinvented amp...

7. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have V4's on https://www.martinlogan.com/products/aerius I went from a VTL 75/75 to the V4's, V4's have much more power and I listen at low volume. V4's fill the Martin Logans much better than the VTL and going to the V4`s noticed a dramatic reduction in distortion, not that there was much before...but now there is nothing. :shh:
    Sensitivity
    89 dB/2.83 volts/meter
    Impedance
    4 Ohms, 2 at 20kHz. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.

sean

8. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Let's hope the K150 is the start of something good, where current manufactures with modern capabilities, will design newer tubes based on modern know-how and will begin to manufacture them for now & in the future, alleviating the lack of product since many of the classic tubes we know & love haven't been made in 40+ years... K200, K250, K300-like tubes to be seen in the coming years?

9. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

86.4db is average, as per S.F.

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Your right, and J.A. has tested more speakers than anyone I've heard of.
    If a speaker is in the 90db area i'd say you've got lots of options.
    Your Strads Tommy are 92.3db, as tested.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.