Inexpensive Audio Note UK OTO phono SE integrated amplifier, sounds great right out of box

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Two panels, you can see in the pic, one white, one black. Just what Warren Jarrett uses at his hi-fi show rooms. Same speakers, everything. AN Newport2014bh.jpg

2. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I am so jealous of that VPI classic direct turntable! Edit: Oh wait never mind, I see the belt.

BTW, What is in the red box?

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I probably need to build something like this to add symetry to my room as I only have one corner and two speakers. I was wondering if these were absorbing or reflecting. Thanks

4. Steve Hoffman

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks for the pictures.

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

The second picture is great. A man enjoying his toys.

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

6BQ5s? Talk to me when it's time to start rolling some of those EL84s... :wave:

8. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

Why?

The only pics of oto's I can find with the pot is shown are definitely not a alps blue, and I highly doubt these guys would be drooling over the action of a alps blue.
    They are pretty ordinary after all.....the alps blue pots that is :)

triple likes this.
  9. triple

triple Senior Member

It's most likely this one:
    http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/-c-61_96_315.html
    About $45 for this Alps Blue Velvet look-alike.

They do make a quality stepped attenuator, but it comes at a price:
    http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/audio-note-stepped-attenuator-stereo-p-1246.html
    This one comes in at about $450.

BTW, the parts quality us very low in this component, the exception being beefy output transformers. Other than that, there are no tantalum resistors in sight (only 10 cents-a-piece Beyschlags), also bottom of the range Jensen film capacitors (probably aluminum foils) and no Audio note copper foils.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

The speakers looked interesting to me so I looked them up. Seems like they are a fairly old fashion design paper cones etc? but what I was shocked about where some of the measurements. Deep bass and very flat frequency response. Another speaker to put on the list in case I win the lottery.

11. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Art Dudley's review here:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/...re-loudspeaker-audio-note-espe-he-august-2008

12. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Like all AN UK products it's built containing parts that reflect Audio Note's different performance levels and their corresponding price points.
    The Oto SE (Line or Phono), is a Level Two product, with Level Six being their highest, Level Zero their lowest.
    Tantalum resisters, AN all-silver internal wiring and copper or silver-foil capacitors can be had, but at a higher cost.
    I'm more interested in the sound personally, rather than whether or not this capacitor or that resistor is being used.
    If I ever find that I would like to have upgrades performed, AN UK can do that as well.
    Finally, this amp has been in production since 1992, with only minor tweaks and upgrades as parts improved. If it ain't broke...

From AN UK's website:
    "Audio Note’s product range is built around a series of ideological and technological performance platforms from which we have developed a wide and comprehensive product range catering for as many price points and as wide a performance spectrum as possible. With the end goal intended to allow our customers and dealers to select and build systems of superior sound quality and longer lasting value."

The entire performance level document is here:
    http://www.audionote.co.uk/articles/art_level_system.shtml

13. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

14. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

My pleasure!

15. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

They look (on paper and in reviews) to be a really amazing speaker for the price point.

16. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Steve, can you tell us what brand of tubes is in your Oto from the factory?
    Cheers,
    –R

17. Steve Hoffman

Not my place to open it up. If Warren sez OK, I'll do it...

raferx likes this.
  18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I had read stock Eis, but there are many versions of these amps and what is used at one point may not be what is used now.

19. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

No worries, I thought perhaps they had listed the valve compliment before/when you took delivery.

20. Steve Hoffman

They did but not what brand of tubes.

21. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Yes, I believe they very carefully match the valves used in each individual amplifier, but which exact tubes (brands) are used month-to-month, day-to-day or even amp-to-amp I'm unsure of at this point.

22. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.

23. Steve Hoffman

Yes, AN (read Peter Q.) has a tremendous tube stash. I mean, super duper stupendous.

24. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Yes, I've read that. Also LPs too from photos I've seen with interviews. You mentioned a couple months ago that Peter was hoping to send you his favorite 2A3 quartet for the AN mono blocks you have?

25. Steve Hoffman

I don't have those Empress amps any more (back to Warren for shows, next at Rocky Mtn.) so that moment passed. Onward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.