Inexpensive But Good Interconnects/RCA Cables - Try Complete Cable Concepts/jmshearer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by patient_ot, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I recommend Monoprice for HDMI cables and for people who want to prove to the world how little they care about interconnects. I think the industrial RG6 that Comcast runs from the pole is more flexible then Monoprice RCA cables.

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I've bought the bulk Canare and terminated it myself. It's not bad for the price, but I'll take Wireworld Luna 7 or Solstice 7 for a cheaper price when you factor in getting some decent connectors.

3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Good point. There is no way that any Blue Jeans Cable RCA connectors can be used on the back of my Revox B77 MK II - not enough clearance between the jacks. A BJC interconnect just barely fits in the output jacks of my Whest Two phono stage - the clearance between the output jacks is a bit close and the big BJC plugs with their thick shrouds will touch. On the plus side, the BJC jacks are really grippy, so they can be plugged in or unplugged fairly even easily and even from awkward angles when reaching around behind equipment.

From the photos on the eBay page, it looks like Jim Shearer's Canare plugs use a less bulky strain relief or shroud.

4. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

That's what Blue Jeans uses standard.

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I though that Blue Jeans recommends their Belden SKUs first, Canare second. Thing is, they're both excellent cables.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

That's too funny! I always thought the same thing.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks for this thread @patient_ot
    Just ordered his Canare LV-61S, needed a descent cable for my Amp->Pre
    If I like it I'll grab a couple more

8. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

9. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Si senior. BJ RCA ICs use Canare as their std termination.

10. triple

triple Senior Member

So these Monoprice cables cost all the same, right?

dunkyboy likes this.
  11. triple

triple Senior Member

It should be spelled senor, according to Bob Dylan. Unless you are certain that Jupiterboy is older than you...

12. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

This is asked often.
    for me , when i visited TNT Audio the signpost was there for me..
    those cables changed my whole perspective.
    the site is extensive. a magazine to read online, reviews, and a DIY section.
    the cable that i build most is based on CT100 satellite cable.
    it outperforms all previous cables.
    the outer sheath is removed, snd the copper braiding.
    We are left with a copper foil shield, an air cell insulator, and copper inner(solid core )
    the cable is covered with 6.2 heatshrink. and terminated.
    unsurpassed on cd.
    Capitance 32/ 1/2 meter.

SandAndGlass and Shawn like this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

hi_watt likes this.
  14. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Agitator mentioned the issues with the lower end AudioQuest cables. My first foray into "better" cables were the AQ Evergreen series. They worked well enough, but after a few plugs and unplugs i did start having issues. Add that they are not easy to just open up the connector and fix.

Another lesson learned from some of the AQ cables is that they tend to be made so the left and right can not be spread very far apart. I have lots of stuff where the jacks are not right together and they simply can't be used. Just something to consider. You don't want your new cables to be obsoleted by you new dual mono amp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

mogami w2497...imo, better than belden and canare...you'll thank me later

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

17. any love for Kimber Kable??? See it advertised a lot but know nothing about them. Have the AQ Evergreen cable and like it, but now looking at Blue Jean cables thanks to this thread

18. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Kimber is just like all the other so-called audiophile cable companies. There are literally dozens and dozens of these sorts of companies, all sourcing wire from most of the same wire manufacturers, adding custom insulation, custom twists and custom configurations. It's all of a single piece, for the most part. Blue Jeans Cable (and a couple of other honest companies mentioned earlier in this thread), offer all the connectivity options, excellent terminations, excellent strain relief at the connectors, low resistance, low capacitance and low inductance, excellent shielding where appropriate, exellent and factual statements on the BJC web site, and so on.

There are some excellent, low key/low profile, honest, intelligently run, and highly skilled small business operators in the audio business in the U.S. and in Canada. Blue Jeans Cable, Schiit and a short list of other makers offer great quality at fair prices for products that just work. The people running those companies market their products honestly, so much so that they sometimes fail to achieve the cachet (in the minds of prospective customers) boasted by vastly more expensive products that don't actually do anything better (and which, in some cases, actually perform relatively poorly by comparison).

dunkyboy, basie-fan, Helom and 2 others like this.
  19. AHHH Thanks. Good to know.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  20. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

be the reviewer!
    listen and judge honestly, price is immaterial, as a wise person pointed out Companies like blue jeans are less profit greedy.Kimber overpriced.
    its simple really. borrow or buy one snd then try a chesper cable and be honest.
    think like this solid core or stranded,
    screened or unscreened?
    make your own conclusions.
    frozen? burned in . i personally don, t believe it.

dunkyboy and Kristofa like this.
  21. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I just ordered the Belden 1506A cables. Can't wait to hook them up.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

I like those cables that allow ample flow of electrons, I won't buy anything else.

SandAndGlass, LarryP and hi_watt like this.
  23. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I've been extremely happy with Blue Jeans Cable products. My entire system is made of with them with the exception of 2 pair. Even then swapping them out with some very high end cables (read really high priced not better sounding) I end up back with the BJCs. Fantastic people to deal with too.

SandAndGlass and Kristofa like this.
  24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Blue Jeans Cable has most of their products on Amazon with prime shipping now as well, a minor detail that might be of interest to some.

25. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Thanks for the link, Patient_ot!
    I just looked at Jim's stuff via the link. Looks very similar to BJC's offerings. The Belden 5000UE 12 AWG speaker cable offered by Jim is the same price as BJC for 15 ft. but with different bananas.

The interconnect RCAs look identical, which is a good thing, as I think my BJC RCAs are superb. Nice and firm connection but easy to swap without fear of damaging components. The only drawback to them is clearance--which has been mentioned before in this thread.

My Morrow cables are much easier to get into tight areas, but without taking advantage of their sales, they can be more expensive. If you sign up for Morrow's newsletter, they provide deal where it is a buy-one-get-one-free for the MA-1 interconnects making them about 25 bucks a piece. If clearance is an issue for readers, explore that route.

dunkyboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.