Inexpensive CD Players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tristero, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I say go for the Onkyo 7030. After reading the very long thread on this player, I sold my Emotiva ERC-3 and bought the Onkyo. I am once again totally enjoying listening to CD's.

tmtomh and patient_ot like this.
  2. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I fired up my Denon DVD 2910 last night and it sounded pretty good playing some redbook cd's. So good that I bought a remote for it. Now I'll need to buy some sacd's.

BuddhaBob and CrazyCatz like this.
  3. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

That's a great grab. Where did you find it?

4. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I went through 3 Onkyo 7030's. I decided to try something different. I got a Nad c 516bee. A lot of the harshness I heard with the 7030 was gone. Sibilance was reduced to almost zero. Smooth and warm sounding.

[​IMG]

5. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

eBay!

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Blu Ray players are uber cheap now. Some even play SACD, don't they????

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    CrazyCatz likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Keep the Oppo unless it's performing duties on a separate rig (A/V maybe ?). Hard to beat that one with a 200 bucks Onkyo, Teac, etc.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Jerryb likes this.
  9. Andrew1967

Andrew1967 Forum Resident

Jerryb likes this.
  10. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

This is the player I ended up with as well. Amazing sound for the price.

Jerryb likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Was this part of the "bad batch" through Amazon? Three duds? I'd be frustrated too. My 7030 is fine so far. No sibilance or harshness to my ears either, though it does sound a bit different from the two vintage CD players I have - more detailed. I've heard good things about NAD CD players soundwise, though apparently they've had QC/QA issues as well.

Jerryb likes this.
  12. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

When I switched from an old Sony to my NAD 516 the difference was so apparent I could hear it from the next room. I've been collecting CDs since the mid-80s and have listened to some of them hundreds of times through the years. Over and over the NAD 516 has made an old favorite a new revelation.

scobb, Jerryb and timind like this.
  13. triple

triple Senior Member

That player has the best ever Sony laser assembly. Excellent find. :righton:

14. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I had a Pioneer DV-79avi,then one day the drawer mechanism stopped working. I got it for $75, but it was beat-up bad on the outside.

15. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I may get booted from the website for suggesting this; but DVD players can also function as CD players. My present workhorse CD player is a $20 DVD player I bought at a discount appliance store. Gets the job done; no more will I say.

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No one's booting you for that. A lot of people use DVD players and Blu-Ray players as CD transports. See all the threads about Oppo and Sony universal disc players.

My issue with the really cheap 'n nasty DVD/Blu-Ray players is that they usually lack analog outputs and/or have horribly noisy drive mechanisms. If I wanted something to play CDs for $20, it's time to hit up Craigslist for a used single disc CD player.

geralmar likes this.
  17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

MusicHall cd25.2.

18. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

Oh yes, the ERC-3. Everything with the play was done right (built quality, price, good transport, etc) except for the sound, it sounded waay too cold for my ears.

19. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Better be a damn good gambler if one is considering GW. Just sayin'.

rockclassics likes this.
  20. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have bought several there for $15 - $25 and been lucky. All worked perfectly. Usually I have been able to put a disc in and verify it would play and skip tracks. But could not always listen to it actually playing.

56GoldTop likes this.
  21. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Yes, I have done well at GW myself over the years. The ones around here allow 24 hour returns on Electronics, so the risk is minimal.

56GoldTop and RPhelps like this.
  22. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Can't comment further; but, I'm glad you guys have had good experiences. And yes, a return policy is key. I'd make sure of it every time I walked into one.

EDIT: I've been considering the entry level Marantz CD5005?? for a secondary system.

23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I see $30 Sony Blu-Ray players at Goodwill all the time, and the one I picked up plays SACDs, a nice bonus. It became my 5th SACD deck.

gorangers likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Do you think that there is anything wrong with the SQ of your Oppo???

None of Oppo's players are really bad products, Although some are superior to others in different ways. Mainly the DAC's and features.

I have a BDP-93. It does not have a DAC that is as good as the 95 and 105, but it does have a good DAC.

But that is not important to me as I use the unit, mostly as a transport for CD's, for the Saber DAC that I have in the iNova.

I also use the Oppo in HT applications, through the HDMI output, into my processor.

Really, you can use almost any CD player as a transport, as long as you have a DAC in the system to decode the Digital to an Analog signal. If your Oppo was to break down, then you could use any cheap CD player as a transport, as long as you had a separate DAC.

The higher end Oppo's are designed to make use of their internal ESS Saber DAC as the main DAC in your D to A chain. If you have a 95 or 105, the DAC in your Oppo will most likely be the only DAC that you will need.

It really comes down to the quality of the DAC in your system, is it already the one in your CD or are you using a DAC, that is not in your CD player already?

Somewhere along the way, you are going to need a decent quality DAC, it doesn't matter where in the food chain that it is located.

25. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

The DVP-S7000 is even better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.