Inexpensive portable hi-res player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rockos, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking for a portable hi-res player that can drive my Audio Technica M50's without a separate amp. Any suggestions? Fiio X1 looks interesting.

2. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

The FIIOs are superb but at that level I prefer the Ibasso DX50
    all depends what you call inexpensive!

They do like a beefy amp, if you can, look for a used Hisoundaudio Studio-V,
    it has the most powerful amp of any DAP I have tried and I have owned or tried
    an absurd amount of DAPs in the past 4 years.

You could always use an amp/dac with your phone maybe?

3. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Define inexpensive. For now I'll say the Sony A17.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Sony specs say it has an output of only 10 mW. And they don't even bother to tell you at what impedance.
    Can the Sony drive large headphones like the M50x without an external amp? It seems it's only suited for IEMs and for using its line-out to car audio or a portable amp.

5. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

The Fiio X1 is as cheap as it gets around $119 and sounds very good, gives you 10omw, 24 bit replay and the ability to connect at line line (1.5 volts) and the X3 mkII should be in stores soon. I own an X1 and the original X3 and am very happy with them.

Rockos likes this.
  6. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

I've been using the Sennheiser PX-100II with the Sony; those are 32ohm, and there's no problem. The ATs are what, 38? Should be all right. You've got me curious to try them with it, though. (I leave them at my desk at work)

7. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Pono player

rburly and kfringe like this.
  8. The X1 sounds great! But the battery life sucks.

9. Rockos

How bad is it? How much time do you get?

10. Rockos

$150 or so. Looks like the X1 is what I will check out. Just want to test the water so to speak.

11. madrushian

madrushian Active Member

[ Looks like the X1 is what I will check out. Just want to test the water so to speak.[/QUOTE]

The x-1 player is currently 99.00 at amazon

12. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Forum Resident

I have the Sony and the M50x, the Sony drives them fine. Half way volume 15/30 gets them to the almost too loud point. The Sony has fantastic battery life but the trade off is a less powerful amp. Great sounding unit and the ergonomics are a step above average.

13. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I know this isn't what you've asked, but I want to volunteer as someone who has bought high rez digital for 15 years....that the difference in headphones between the 48khz that every iThing can play and 88.2+ is simply trivia. Where I can pass an ABX with flying colors on my big system, I have never tried with phones....but, I'd certainly doubt how accurately I could pick. BUT.....the difference in 44.1 and 48khz is easily audible in lousy earbuds, let alone decent phones.

So, I take my 24/192 new Jackson Browne or 24/88 Natalie Merchant and make 16/48 or 24/48 ALAC for my iPhone. I don't think the bits matter, but I've also got 16gb....so, ehh....

I'm pointing this out so that A)you can know why the market is so sparse and B)so you can try 24/48 on your current device--I can assure you it will spank the lossless CD rip up and down, if we assume the high rez master wasn't lousy to start with....

14. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

is this a stupid answer:

your Android phone (with suitable app and USB adapter cord) with a Dragonfly?

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I have both, I think they sound awesome. The new X3 (X3K) is even better if you're willing to spend a little more money.

16. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

I'm considering one of these players to add to my modestly sized/ modestly priced setup. Does Windows recognize them (i.e. can you do the ol' "drag and drop"), or do you have to install software? The X1 at 99 bucks is mighty tempting, especially since extra cards are cheap...

17. Master_It_Right

I should also mention that I thought I heard the new X3 is capable of native DSD playback (it doesn't downconvert it to PCM).

18. Master_It_Right

It's drag/drop. Get yourself one of these - http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-CR2021.html. The microSD card plugs into that, that then plugs into the USB port and Windows will recognize it as a drive/folder.

I used to use Sandisk Media Manager but something strange is going on with it right now on my system. Basically SMM scans your libary and you can pick which songs you want on your card (it syncs them).

You don't "need" SMM, but it just makes the job that much easier.

I think you'll like the X1. I use it with Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. For more sensitive headphones, you may want a separate headphone amp, or move up to the X3.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  19. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Thanks for the tips, Master!

20. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

For the Sony or X1, what are their outputs aside from a traditional headphone jack? I'm thinking in terms of car use, and neither company's product page is definitive or clear.

Using the headphone jack with an AUX cable is a nonstarter, but USB will enable selection and screen control via the car's system. I've already ruled out Pono for this reason.

21. Master_It_Right

I don't know about the Sony, but on the X1, it has a headphone out that doubles as a line out. It is changed in the software.

22. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

This is timely info from you, Master, as I'm putting together an Amazon order right now. Does this mean that I could use a Toslink mini adapter to plug into the X1, and then use that to feed audio via the optical audio input on my receiver? (I have the actual Toslink cable already.)

Edit: My receiver has a USB input as well.

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

So for me it's either the Sony or holding off for a while.

24. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

The new X3 really is superb, but when choosing a DAP it's all
    about priorities, every solution has a draw back.

So whats most important?

1)Sound
    2)EQ
    3)Gapless
    4)Battery life
    5)Memory Size
    6)Screen or Button
    7) IU
    8) Portability
    9) Power
    10) Line out or not
    11) DSD or not
    etc etc

I go for , and I would expect any self respecting audiophile to chose Sound as most important and
    stuff the rest. BUT the good loonies on Head Fi (and I am there a LOT more than here) would not all agree

Everyone has different needs, mine is for a 1 hour commute and I have a plethora of portable amps to chose from.
    Some people NEED 30 hours battery, why I don't know
    For some Gapless is a deal breaker
    For others it's all about memory size

My current DAP arsenal
    HIFIMAN HM-901 - with Mini Box - the best, get outta town AK240
    Ibasso DX90
    Ibasso DX50
    HIFIMAN HM-601 - Hoffmanites would adore this little midrange marvel with NOS DAC
    Hisoundaudio - 3rd Anniv Studio-V
    Hisoundaudio - Studio-V
    Hisoundaudio - Nova N3

all in their own way excel at something, But it's the 901 and Studio V 3rd that I most use.
    901 for sound, Studio V for 60 hours battery life and portability.

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For people with large libraries, and high res users, a lot of storage or removable storage (SD cards) is critical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.