Infinite Zero label - Wha' Happened?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AtcoFan, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member Thread Starter

In 1997-98, Henry Rollins and Rick Rubin briefly had the Infinite Zero Archive reissue label.

Below: Sampler VI and the Contortions' BUY

2. Mike

Mike New Member

They've been out of business for years, but I got my Trouble Funk cd's. :)

Here's some info:

http://www.ursis.com/LAS/archives/features/music/rollins/

LAS - You and Rick Rubin (producer and owner of American Recordings) started Infinite Zero records 4 or 5 years ago. The company was set up to re-issue out-of-print records and you did re-release records from, among others, Alan Vega, James Chance, Devo, Flipper and Trouble Funk. But a couple years ago all of those records went back out of print. What happen with the label?

ROLLINS - What happened was that it (Infinite Zero) was a division of American Recordings, which was under the umbrella of Warner Bros. So Rick got dropped from Warner and they dropped Infinite Zero. So I retained ownership of the things bought by Infinite Zero and the masters that were licensed I have for the remainder of the licensing time.

The Elephant Man likes this.
  3. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

I've been wondering the same thing. They put out the definitive reissues of the first three Gang of Four albums, with great sound (courtesy of Bill Inglot, IIRC) and excellent bonus tracks.

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

If you're looking for one of the tracks mentioned on the first album pictured, the album Black Monk Time, by the Monks, is available from Repertoire Records in Germany, FYI. A pretty insane album.

--MK

5. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I give this old thread a bump for the great (sorry: fantastic) Gang of Four releases, released by Henry Rollins' Infinite Zero label and mastered by the way by Bill Inglot. See more about that earlier in this thread.

I just purchased the album 'Entertainment' by Gang of Four and am beaten to silence by its sonical qualities. Awfull that this label existed just some years and for sure a shock for post-punk fans to learn there is real 'audiophile' post-punk to find :)

6. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Ok, as 'audiophile punk rocker' ( :) ) I'm purchasing the best works of this, here almost unknown, AUDIOPHILE LABEL of Henry Rollins and Rick Rubin which existed just some years, ca 20 years ago.

Master engineers: BILL INGLOT and DAN HERSCH (what more to wish?)

Infinite Zero did exist just some years (more info up), but left GREAT MASTERED CDS!!!! Cheap to get, but sometimes difficult to find.
    I found all I needed at EBay and diffetent Amazon sites and I would like to help some of you interested in proto punk, punk, post-punk and hardcore.

I am enjoying e.g. these albums:

The Monks: 'Black Monk Time' - 9 43112-2 (proto-punk from 1965!)
    Tom Verlaine: 'Dreamtime' - 914508-2 (yes, that great guitar guy from Television and CBGB)
    Gang of Four: 'Entertainment' (incl. EP 'Yellow') - 9 43047-2 (great UK post-punk, a classic album!)
    Flipper: 'Sex Bomb Baby' - 9 43028-2 (hardcore from San Francisco)

There are many more albums great albums of great bands, so, please, check that remarkable label!

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I never did hear the US version of G4's 'Entertainment.' The UK EMI claims to be mastered by the band itself (and it doesn't have the really small front cover art) so I went with that one. FAIK, the UK and US editions of 'Solid Gold' are identical.

Anyone do comparisons between the IZ and EMI of 'Entertainment'? Did I choose poorly?

I never did buy the IZ of 'Songs Of The Free' either, if only because they used the US running order and I assumed this meant they didn't have the original master tape and used the WB safety copy.

8. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Yes, I am owning both versions of Gang of Four's 'Entertainment' and the one of Infinite Zero is even better! I never expected that while I was allready satisfied with that of EMI, even done by members of Gang of Four. Surprising, isn't it?

There is here at SHTV also a thread about comparing both versions. That's where I read for the first time about that fantastic label :)

Found it:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/gang-of-four-entertainment-2005-rhino-remaster.54406/

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The Black Monk Time CD on this label is excellent. The 1994 Repertoire CD was released without the band members being payed royalties. I also have New Traditionalists by Devo as well. I nice short lived label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.