Initial Impressions of the New Denon DJ VL12 Prime Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lymbo, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've uploaded my "Initial Impressions" on the VL12 Prime Turntable to my YouTube channel. For those of you that aren't put off by "DJ" or Direct Drive turntables, check it out. So far, I'm pleasantly surprised. I will be adding a more in depth, full review within a week or two.

I also just uploaded my first needle drop video to my channel as well.

bluemooze, ClausH, bradleyc and 4 others like this.
  2. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Like it better than the Pioneer?

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What is the s/n and rumble for this unit? Agree the logos look tacky. Otherwise looks interesting. Is this a Hanpin OEM or something else? Would be interested to know how well the antiskate works.

Lymbo likes this.
  4. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Looks like a nice TT. I totally agree with the Denon Logo. I would keep the halo light on clear or light blue if it were mine. Looks solid and probably sounds great. Cool

Lymbo likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

One thing I just saw that looks like it could be a problem is the +16 pitch button right under the pitch slider. If you were to inadvertently hit that while playing a record with any delicate cart you'd be in trouble.

Lymbo likes this.
  6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

With as many people around that recommend the PLX-1000, I'll be very curious to see if this catches on with the same praise. I have to agree that it's a looker in all the wrong ways, but if it becomes the recommended DD over the PLX I think people will get over it.

Lymbo likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@Lymbo, I saw your update video re: the whirring noise. That is too bad.

displayname likes this.
  8. Lymbo

VL12 Prime W&F figure: Actual measurement is <.05%
    From everything I've read, it's not a Hanpin.

patient_ot likes this.
  9. Lymbo

Yup, very strange. Kudos to Denon for responding rapidly to my email. They are shipping a new one out to me. I'll be interested to see if the new one has the same noise.

HiFi Guy, displayname and patient_ot like this.
  10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I may try one of these. I tried a Pioneer PLX-1000 and the tonearm play was way beyond what is even acceptable with today's TT's, which seems to be pretty common.

Did the Demon have tonearm play, besides what you showed in your updated VTA ring issue ? Looks like the tonearm was loose after.

Lymbo and displayname like this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@Lymbo, thanks for the honest and detailed review on this unit. I wonder if you could get this info to Denon directly and they could fix the issue. The VTA ring seems like a problem.

Lymbo and displayname like this.
  12. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

And maybe tell them we'd love a dust cover option while we're at it, haha. I would be ok paying a little extra for that.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Did someone say the PLX 1000 cover fits on this table ?

14. Lymbo

When you move the lever to the lock position, the tonearm becomes very stable, but the ring can still be turned so it's not a huge issue. The bearing are not loose at all either.

displayname likes this.
  15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

No tonearm play ?

I may have to try one of these.

Lymbo likes this.
  16. Lymbo

No, none at all. I think I've found a keeper. Still blown away by the sound.

17. Lymbo

18. Lymbo, Saw your videos including the Final one. And knowing you've had both a VL12 and PXL-1000. I have now had (3) PLX-1000s. here's the abridged 3 week story #1 had defective tone arm sub weight threads. #2 had turnon "thhuume" which settled into an audible hum, especially in left channel, changed to right when reversing RCA plugs at the back of the PLX. Changed RCAs, grounds, AC plugs (including ground lifters at the socket). Had two different headshells (Pioneer & Jelco) with 2 different cartridges (AT-OC/9II & Adcom Cross Coil) both hummed. Took it back to G.C. #3 thrummed & hummed too (quite audibly and comfortable play volumes at my sweet spot 9 feet away). Finally I even set PLX #3 up in the hallway 9-10 feet from my audio rack plugged in to a different Monster Line Conditioner. TThhummed and Hummed. All 3 PLXs were meant as shinny more versital and satble rplacement for my 1983 AR The Turntable which never hummed in my system. Including last night when I set it back up and replaced my PLX to see if the AR would hum. As I turned on the platter motor and watched the platter turn my sound track was absolute silence. Can't abide with an audible hum that will compromise low level detail and resolution. Unless Pioneer (who I've repeatedly been in contact, and who said #2 was a defective ground, and after all the PLX was never meant as an audiophile turntable and turnon spikes & hum are meaningless to DJs) can come up with a very quick fix. So far, while excellent listeners and responders, Pioneer doesn't seem very good at real world solutions. I'm planning on ordering a Denon VL12 tomorrow or tonight and I'm wondering if you heard any turnon "tthhuume" or hum when not playing music?

displayname likes this.
  19. Did order the Denon VL12 a couple days back and should get tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. Musician's Friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse: 15% off (with an absolutely ugly after market non perfect sized dustcover) 36 month interest free. I couldn't rent a single VL12 for even one night for the little over $23 dollars a month it will cost to rent this one until it's fully paid for. And if it hums, or has loose tone arm bearings they will pay to ship it back. If the sound and quality isn't up to par or if the lights and design style induce me into feeling that I'm being impaled by LP record scratching, pitiless jackhammerish pounding, and melody less verbal drek, I will willingly pay to send it back, and move on to upgrading my trusty and non humming AR, or seeking out a shiny new (double the price) Clearaudio, Music Hall, Rega, or Project.

arem and patient_ot like this.
  20. BTW, BTW. While anxiously waiting my new VL12 Prime, today I was on Audio Advisor and saw a turntable I had been attracted to for several months. It was a demo Pro-Ject Classic with a Ortophon 2M Silver. It has full factory warranty and is in excellent shape, and it was over $400 off of the retail price (which everyone on earth sells it for). Which puts it between the PLX-1000 and the VL12 I ordered it, and it should be here early next week. So I will have all weekend with the VL12 and my AR, then get the "Classic." I will replace the 2M Silver with my AT-OC/9II. I will thoroughly audition each unit (unless of course the VL12 hums). Then I will decide which, if either, fits my needs and tastes. If I keep the Classic. I will mount my brand new 2M Silver on my AR The Turntable and sell it. If the AR is better than both. I will keep it and sink $600-$900 into upgrading it. A good place to be. Far better demoing at home in my system than in different stores, or all in the same store on differnt systems. I will be reporting in. BTW if anybody can tell me how to use Ortophon's $8 Cartridge Protractor I'd appreciate and insights.

21. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Is the Denon DJ VL12 not a Super OEM?

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you are concerned about hum, make sure you test both the Pro-ject and the Denon with headphones.

Robert C and punkmusick like this.
  23. Will do.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. Here I sit listening to BOY IN THE BUBBLE from Paul Simon's GRACELAND 180 Gram LP. It sounds great, not even a trace of hum, cranked way, way up. I need to fine tune my AT-OC/9II cartridge. I am listening to my 1983 AR The Turntable.

Today I received a brand new Denon VL12 Prime. And to be honest I only listened to maybe 1 minute of this great album on it. As soon as I hooked it up it hummed even before I turned the unit on. Hummed far worse than any of the Pioneer PLX-1000s I returned for humming. Immediately while opening the outer shipping box, and unpacking the much less substantial inner box & styrofoam, and then again when I hefted the V12 onto my waiting shelf, it was unescapable, compared to the meatier PLX the VL12 seemed cheap. The frame, the top, the switches, the sliders all felt a lower quality. The tonearm even seemed cheaper than the $200 less PLX-1000. Even the RCA cables were laughably cheaper than the PLX-1000. Radio Shack would have been embarrassed by these cheap throw aways. IMHO the VL12 should be priced much less than the PLX-1000. Unless of course your thing is colored lights.

IMHO the owner's manual would be worthless to anyone who hadn't already put together a few turntables. And there was absolutely no instructions about mounting the cartridge and no overhang gauge. Not even the cheap 54mm rule printed in the Owner's manual of the PLX-1000.

I have already reboxed the VL12 and have a paid Return Lable. Tomorrow this VL12 will be on its way back.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Now let me say that I really haven't given my AR a good listen with the AT-OC/9II and they sound great together. NO HUM TO BOOT. So It ain't my system or my inability to set things up properly. The PLX & VL Direct Drives both have horrible hums in my system. BTW I think the AR sounds better too, better detail, separation, bass, smoother high end, everything. Who knows maybe I've just been wasting time.

Next up a New/Demo Pro-ject Classic which was shipped today. It's got some tough competition in my AR.

25. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

If you were to turn the table 90 degrees with the arm in the back (as in DJ style), you'd have the cables in the back and the controls in the front (instead on of the sides with it oriented like you've got it in the video. Just a thought.

I've re-read this several times. I cannot figure out what the peril is to the delicate cart by pressing this button. Of course, the easiest solution is to keep the pitch slider right at 0 at all times.

Robert C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.