Inner sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Szeppelin75, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm in the process of replacing my LP's inner sleeves. Mainly the old paper ones with Diskeeper Antistatic 2.0 inner sleves. I'm also taking out the records that come in cardboeard like inner sleeves and placing them in the Diskeeper inners, keeping the cardboard inside the jacket.

Situaation is, i'm also replacing the glossy paper original inner sleeves of almost all my records with the Diskeeper inners, keeping the original inners as well, but now the jackets hold more, meaning they are thicker, occupying more storage space, which i don't have much.

When you replace your inners, Do you replace all of them ? being paper ones, hard cardboard or glossy printed inners? Dos keeping the record in the original glossy printed inner scuff or scratch the record in any way? even if you're careful removing the record and placing it back?

2. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I replace them all with poly sleeves (Mofi brand). If the original sleeve is just a plain white paper sleeve, I toss it. I save all the inner sleeves with artwork or advertising on them in case I ever decide to sell.

3. Szeppelin75

But do you put the pirnted ones back in the jacket?

4. Raider4life

Yes I do and I've never had a problem with that. Sometimes it takes a bit of patience to get record/poly sleeve back inside but I'm not in a hurry.

5. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Hi Szeppelin75,

In addition to the poly sleeve for the vinyl, I also use an outer sleeve to protect the cover. I slip the original paper sleeve between the outer sleeve and back cover. Downside is you can't see the back cover, but it's all there if and when you decide to sell or trade.

patient_ot, marcb and Burning Tires like this.
  6. Raider4life

I use the outer sleeve also and I've heard several people mention that they also keep the inner sleeve between the outer and back cover. I just never cared for the look, but it is a viable option.

7. attym

attym Forum Resident

Only a few I keep out of the jacket in the inner sleeve. All things must pass comes to mind. You have to save that hinge!

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I only keep original inners on something that is highly collectible or unique in some way (eg picture or printed lyrics). I have sold a number of LPs and no one asked me about the paper (or clear plastic) inners, only the condition of the LP and cover.

9. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

IF the original sleeve was special to the album. Pics or lyrics YES I keep it and stuff them together into the album cover.
    If the original sleeve was advertising or plain, i toss it.

I have one inner sleeve I do not know what album it belongs to.
    It is a picture of a cloven hoof in a high heel shoe. Gotta be some special album. Most likely some big Rockers...
    First guess would be RollingStones...

mikeyt likes this.
  10. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I feel like I've seen that album in stores on occasion. I'm pretty sure it's a Stones record.

11. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I would never throw out a company inner sleeve, especially those that show other releases by that record company. Columbia, A&M, Capitol and RCA, among others comes to mind. It will lower the value of the LP, due to the inner sleeve being "part of the package". I would never toss a "New Sounds of Capitol" inner sleeve from an original Beatles album, for example.

I routinely pass on eBay used albums that are missing their original inner sleeves. When an LP is missing its inner sleeve I tend to think that it hasn't been cared for very well.

Scott

12. Szeppelin75

It's The Stones Tattoo You Inner sleeve.

[​IMG]

mikeyt likes this.
  13. Desert Island Daniel

Desert Island Daniel Well-Known Member

It's also my avatar.
    I always, always keep the inner that came with the record, whether it's blank or not. Not because I'm ever going to sell, but because they I think they belong together, and it's part of how the original object was designed, blank or not. I tend not to buy records with only a replacement sleeve inside, because they seem incomplete to me, and, like Scott said, I think they haven't been cared for properly. If it's a used record (95% of what I own) I put it in a fresh, clean new sleeve (the best I can afford) and stick it in alongside whatever it came with.
    I don't have much storage space either, but really all the outers and inners I have can't add up to more than a few inches of shelf space and they keep everything happy.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  14. niblips

niblips Active Member

I have run into the "space" issue recently as well. I always replace the inner sleeves of new purchases (new or used) with poly/paper inners. It works in most cases but is frustrating for some albums. The new AIR album for instance has glossy cardboard inners with artwork and the album sleeve seems a little smaller than most. I can not get the old inners and the new ones to fit in the slots no matter how hard i try. It's a double album as well so i keep one of the inners in the gatefold and the other in the back of the album btwn the poly bag and the back cover.... it's not the best solution, and bugs me, but there is nothing i can do about it.

15. Desert Island Daniel

Desert Island Daniel Well-Known Member

@niblips Get yourself a packet of the round-bottom poly inners from sleevecity. They're for just such occasions.

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The 1.5 round bottoms work great as liners for thick cardstock or magazine paper sleeves. Sometimes even those with not fit certain cardstock inners, which means I just put the original inner outside the jacket but inside the clear outer sleeve.

17. niblips

niblips Active Member

I'll pick some of these up and see if they work. I keep looking at them on amazon but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

18. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I use the QRP inner sleeves from Acoustic Sounds. They are the exact same ones as the Mofo (made by the same Chinese manufacturer) but are a better deal bought in bulk.

I just slip a QRP inner sleeve inside the original sleeve. Works fine in almost all cases. I also use 5 mil outer sleeves for all my single and gatefold album covers.

Rolltide likes this.
  20. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

this...

21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Speaking of bulk, anyone else find it amusing acoustic sounds lists a 1,000 pack of sleeves?
    That's a lot of sleeves, I mean, heaven forbid you need to order more next time you buy something!

I guess you're just supposed to buy the MoFi version unless you need 250 of the QRP model.
    Last time I needed some, I went with the disckeeper ultimate audiophile ones from sleevecity.

22. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Me too.

23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I just toss those terrible white paper sleeves with a hole and the blank plastic crinkly ones
    because they just remind me the record label was too cheap to include something respectable.
    Of course if the sleeve really is meant to go with the particular album, they would have
    printed something on the sleeve. The only grey area for me is the kind where the label has
    printed the sleeve, like advertising or even just the company logo. I sometimes
    keep it inside with the replacement poly lined sleeve, but not always.

For some reason, we all have our personal quirks. What I don't really likes mixing brands,
    I don't like putting MOFI sleeves in everything. My preference for poly lined replacement
    sleeves is no logo. I like for example, classic records sleeves or QRP sleeves in their own
    records, but not as replacements for all labels.

24. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I went through about 3000 sleeves in two years when I cleaned and resleeved my entire collection. I was buying 500 packs of sleeves from Acoustic Sounds.

25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Thats a lot of cleaning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.