Inner sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Szeppelin75, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yes, but now it's all done, and I am in maintenance mode. Much easier.

And I'm about out of sleeves, so will have to decide what to get. I don't need to buy 250 sleeves at a time (Acoustic Sounds only does QRP sleeves in bulk), so may just get a 50 pack of Mofi sleeves.

2. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I've been using MoFi poly sleeves for records that have some sort of printed inner sleeve, slipping the MoFi sleeve in the printed sleeve and keeping it all in the jacket.

But for records that come in a plain paper or old lined sleeve, I replace those with a paper/poly sleeve. The MoFi sleeves on thir own are such a pain to get in and out without having them crinkle up and bunch in the corners if the jacket is even the slightest bit tight. The sleeves I've been using from Bags Unltd. end up being more than I'd like to pay- close to .50 a sleeve, with shipping.

Guess I'll give those ElusiveDisc sleeves a shot then...

3. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

The sleeve city ultimate sleeves eliminate any and all crinkling when sliding the record in or out of the jacket. Great sleeves.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  4. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

I store all my records in an outer poly sleeve, inside which is the jacket, then the LP itself in a Sleeve City inner sleeve. The record goes behind the jacket, but inside the outer sleeve. The opening in the outer sleeve is on top, and the opening on the inner sleeves is on the side, which may or may not prevent some dust from getting in.

A couple of dealers in my area do this, and it actually makes accessing records a little easier, while keeping everything nice and clean. It also keeps the jacket in great condition, though i wonder if my records are more susceptible to damage this way.

Anyone else do this?

5. Josquin des Prez

No. Too much risk of damaging the record. The jacket provides protection.

Is there a point of not storing the record inside the jacket, that is worth risking damage to the record when it's stored?

6. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

Exactly how I do it.

I've never damaged a record.

If they're leaving my house they go back in the jacket.

Not having to remove the jacket each time means less wear on the cover.

Of course it's slightly more POSSIBLE to damage the record this way...but what are you doing with your records?

Removing the jacket each time means there's a slight chance of damaging the cover. Which slight chance worries you more?

I think people worry too much about maybes instead of just fixing a problem if it comes up.

7. Josquin des Prez

I'm worried about storing and handling records for playing, with a vulnerable record protected only by an inner sleeve and a thinker poly outer sleeve. I have 3000+ LPs and sometimes have to move many of them around on shelves to reorganize for additions. I do now want all of them exposed. I think the risk is more than slightly greater than storing them properly in their jackets.

I have been collecting for 40 years and don't have issues with jacket wear once I've acquired records. I'm just careful about sleeving and storing them.

But to each their own. I don't have a single compelling reason not to store records inside their jackets, as intended.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

Exactly.

I've got way more then 3k albums and have also been collecting for years.

Just reshuffled 'em last weekend.

I DO have covers with ringwear and seam splits. I've yet to have a record damaged doing it like this. No more ringwear or seam splits since I started storing 'em this way. So I'm solving an actual problem and I'm not worrying too much about what might happen.

It's not like a record jacket offers that much more protection then the plastic sleeve and the polylined paper sleeves I use. It's a little more but not much. The very few records I've ever damaged were in their jackets. They didn't really offer very much protection.

But....everyone needs to do what makes them comfortable.

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I slide the MOFI sleeve inside the printed inner (if it came with one)

niblips likes this.
  10. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I use the Mofi sleeves placed back inside the jacket. I keep the paper inner sleeves even if it is just plain. I do toss the really thin poly sleeves though.

11. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

For the records I like the Quality Record Pressing, Mofi type rice paper sleeve. Better priced, same handling, same quality.
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/78062/-Rice_Paper_Sleeve_with_QRP_logo-Record_Supplies

For outside the album covers I like the Japanese reseal, fold over flap style crystal clear poly.
    http://www.elusivedisc.com/Japanese...uter-Sleeves-100-Pack/productinfo/JPNOUTERLP/
    (Far West Record Supply for years was a non-web mail order only family run outfit who exclusively imported Japanese crystal-clear resealable sleeves. I have had thousands and only four failed in some fifteen years.)

When an album gets filed back on the shelf I usually return the record in its (rice paper sleeve) to inside the album cover and inside the outer poly sleeve.
    I too put record discs, in their rice paper sleeves behind the album cover in an outer sleeve, but only if 1. when in heavy rotation or 2. When the cover is old or particularly fragile (and then never risk tearing out the cover seems from repeated record entree/egress). And of course if an original inner sleeve has lyrics, graphics, or is cool for some reason, I keep it in the record album, if it is plain white, I throw it out!

Take care of your records and they will take care of you. Happy Listening!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I replace the inner sleeves with paper if they come with plastic. Don't take any more space. I have the same limited storage room too.

13. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

subframe and Gumboo like this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Agreed, the only thing I would add to this is that for new releases, rather than "tossing" the original sleeve I save them up until my next trip to the local shop, who are happy to take them for "recycling" into used titles that deserve an inner sleeve but do not warrant a new replacement when they clean them up.

DeRosa, Raider4life and utahusker like this.
  15. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I used to do it that way, but it took up too much room. It cut my storage down considerably. I stopped obsessing over the covers a few years ago, and guess what, my mint covers are still mint, and my crappy covers are still crappy.:shh:

I do use rice paper inner sleeves, as always.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  16. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

Real good idea.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  17. niblips

niblips Active Member

I don't toss any of the cheap paper inner sleeves. I use them for old thrift store and bargain bin records that i pick up that don't have inners.

I change the inner sleeves of most of the NEW records i buy to paper/poly lined. I like the solidness of them and, as i've said before, I shove them into the jacket with the printed inner sleeve. I've been buying them at my local store a dozen at a time, but my local hasn't had any in a few weeks and i have about 20 new records to clean and spin (thanx to RSD). So, I finally pulled the trigger on 100 MoFi sleeves from amazon(dot)ca. With shipping and tax it works out to about $0.70 each. The paper/poly sleeves i've been getting from my local record shop are $6.00 a dozen plus tax which is about $0.56 each. Being in Canada ordering from bags unlimited is not viable. And i can't find anywhere else to get them.

I wish i could come across more old ones... I found a guy at an antique market that had a bunch in good condition from the 60s and 70s. I paid about 0.10 a piece for 300. That was a great deal.

18. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

You MAY want to re-think that practice as far as advertising sleeves go...........especially for certain titles or bands

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I buy the Nagaoka style unbranded sleeves (Moth in the UK sell them) and place inside the plain paper or printed inners. I am currently using Mo-Fi to replace those hideous clear or pink plastic inners that RTI are using on some nice audiophile pressings. Do not toss original sleeves even plain unless in contaminated state - add to value of used vinyl as specific to the Lp or label and often have a date code.

20. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Why would you pay $0.70 each when you could purchase the same thing as Mofi sleeves from QRP for$0.29 each@250 count? (see above)

21. niblips

niblips Active Member

Cuz i'm in Canada.
    That site (which i didn't know about until now) is US based and does not quote the shipping to Canada until after the purchase. 250 of these will likely cost $30-40 to ship to Canada. I don't know if there will be customs duties and taxes on top of that or not but my guess is yes. Ontario has 13% tax and duty could be anywhere from 6% to 10%. If they ship UPS or Purolator or anything like that they will also change brokerage fees. based on my quick math that's about 55 cents each USD... convert that to CAD and we've got about 68 cents each.
    No idea how long it would take for QRP to ship, but the ones i ordered monday on amazon.ca showed up today (2 days shipping from quebec)

I'm with you on the cheaper option, and if i lived in the states i'd be all over it. But, my options are limited in Canada

22. niblips

niblips Active Member

I like those clear and pink plastic ones... I don't replace those.
    I do hate the static that comes with them though... but that's another thread.

23. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Sorry, that is sad. Anywhere near the boarder? A clandestine smuggling of Lp paraphernalia could happen! Just one music enjoying cat, taking care of another... Actually, we have some audio club members from near London, Windsor, and Sarnia that visit quite often, and may or may not go home with a few extra items from time to time, I've been told...

niblips likes this.
  24. niblips

niblips Active Member

this sounds like an excellent group, and i'd like to join :) I'm in Kitchener. I could get to either Detroit or Buffalo a couple times a year. The wifes family are in Windsor so Detroit is easier. I see you're in the Rock City.

25. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

We're called SMAC Southeastern Michigan Audio Club. Have been meeting once a month for almost nine years, without fail. We have a lot of good folks, tube amp builders, vinylphiles, digital streamers, you name it! We're pretty casual, and have a great time. Actually, we are started out of the Royal Oak Michigan area. I'll PM you for contact info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.