Installed a Dynavector 10x5 in LP12, caught between Budgie and Cambridge Pre-amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian308GTS, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Subtle adjustments can make a huge difference in vinyl playback. Glad you got it sorted out.

Brian308GTS likes this.
  2. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

you have a budgie and the 10x5? reading the specs on the budgie it seems as if the gain is a bit low. Also i noticed in the specs saying more suitable for cartridge 5Mv... ??

3. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Jolida's JD9 used is a giant killer for the money. I had a Cambridge 640 before the JD9 and that unit is excellent for the cost.

david zepeda likes this.
  4. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

i have a budgie, i mean i had. A shame because I bought some great tubes for it, but it just didnt have the gain..I had to turn way up. I connected to my adcoms phono jack and low and behold volume and staging at reasonable levels. I am considering the hybrid version with its increased gain to I think 46 to utilize 200$ Phillips mini watt tubes. or maybe i sell them give that jolida a shot. I do love the warmth i am missing from the budgie/tubes and thats about it.

5. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

The Jolida has all the gain you could ever need. I can't recall the specs but you should google them. It uses two 12AX7 tubes and has plug in opamps making it highly tuneable. There's a wealth of info on the web concerning this phono stage.

david zepeda likes this.
  6. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

i have a converastion with dealer about it who wasnt selling it that the increased gain would be a noise floor issue, but replied headroom is much needed. he just turned and said blah blah blah. I think i might wait and see what parks audio has up his sleeve and if doesnt do it the jolida is coming home. I am really stuck on the tube idea. what comes first when upgrading the phono pre or the cart?

7. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Get one that can handle both a moving magnet and a low output moving coil and you can use any cartridge that you want to try. The Jolida can do this, it has a wealth of settings for either, you can change opamps and roll tubes. They can be had used for well under $500 unmodified. It's usually, not always, been my experience that brands a dealer doesn't sell are junk compared to the brands he sells.

david zepeda likes this.
  8. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

your absolutely right. I wanted a vpi, he said he doesnt touch them any more. I asked about the jolida he went musical surroundings. he finnaly did it when i bought a music hall cleaner saturday. I asked him if i was good to go and he said yes, came home and no cleaner. .....I am done with them......thanks for reassurance you cant believe how much it helps me. I think I will just unload these 6922's and look for a jolida...thanks so much. this is a pretty cool site.

Gumboo likes this.
  9. david zepeda

david zepeda Member

are you still using the budgie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.