Installed AT33PTG/II cartridge and got nasty HUM. Help!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TLMusic, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector Thread Starter

Based on the many recommendations on this site, I decided to try the Audio Technica AT33PTG/II moving coil cartridge. Turntable is a Linn Lp12 with Ittok tonearm. Took it to my Linn dealer for installation.

Bad news! There's a pronounced hum in the right channel. We're wondering if the cart I received is defective. Is the right channel ground supposed to be grounded to the body?

The Linn tech said it would be helpful to test another AT33PTG/II and find out if mine is defective or that's the way it's designed (making it incompatible with a Linn turntable with Linn arm).

If someone could check their AT33PTG/II with a voltmeter that would be extremely helpful.

Check the electrical connection between right channel pin (green) and bottom of cartridge bottom.

Any other advice?
    Thanks! :wave:

2. TLMusic

I have contacted Audio Technica with hope they will get back and be able to help.

3. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I'll look at mine tomorrow but in the meantime have you tried different interconnects? Balanced interconnects can sometimes cause trouble.

TLMusic likes this.
  4. TLMusic

Thank you for the reply!

The hum is apparent on the bench equipment in the store. The tech tried a couple preamp and cable options while I was there.

The hum is only in the right channel.

5. TLMusic

Any experts out there who would like to suggest a solution?

6. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

If the dealer has another table maybe you could try it on that on?

7. I have no helpful suggestions, but wish you good luck. Sounds to me that you may have received a faulty cartridge from the factory??? It can happen and I'm usually the one who gets the bad one. :sigh: I have been curious about trying that cartridge myself. I have been very pleased with my modded Denon 103R, but I'm always on the look-out for other good cartridges that don't cost thousands! Please keep us posted.

8. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Are you using a step up transformer?

9. TLMusic

Tech told me the hum is present using a SUT, also present when plugged directly into an active phono stage.

10. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

^^^^^This^^^^^^
    Where did you buy the cart? I didn't realize they were sold in the USA through authorized dealers.

11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I assume they have swapped out leads L/R going out from the table and it follows to the left. Same with the cart pins. Those two moves should isolate cart from tonearm wiring, but that's so basic I assume they have done that.

So, as mentioned above, testing the cart on another table/arm is going to confirm it is something about the cart.

Davidmk5, Shoalcove and utahusker like this.
  12. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I agree. I have several MC cartridges, one of which is the original AT33PTG, and I've never had hum coming from only one channel.

jeff

13. TLMusic

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice.

Audio Technica technical support personally called me and explained that the cartridge I have is likely defective. Tests by the local tech confirmed that it is defective.

Now to return it...

14. TLMusic

There are no US dealers for the AT33PTG/II, Audio Technica confirmed this to me during a phone called earlier today.

I bought the cartridge on eBay.

15. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

That's great service! I was asking about source of purchase because some manufacturers don't support "grey market" items. I buy carts that way all the time but have been really lucky not to have to use a warranty.

Nice to find out that Audio Technica supports there stuff!

Davidmk5 likes this.
  16. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Wait, I may have misunderstood. Is Audio Technica supporting it, or do you have to send it back to the eBay seller?

17. TLMusic

Audio Technica USA said they would accept the cartridge and they would test it for defects, but they could not send me an exact replacement.

I have to try to return the defective AT33PTG/II to the eBay seller.

18. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I wonder what replacement model they would send.

19. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

As the cartridge is defective, and verified by a tech., a refund should be straight forward.

Most likely the "EV", as it's the closest to the PTG.

jeff

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    utahusker and TLMusic like this.
  20. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'd take an EV if it comes with a warranty, or if the eBayer turns out to be a flake.

21. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Let us know how it works with the eBay seller.

22. TLMusic

Thank you for asking. The eBay seller (who is recommended on this Forum) has not responded yet to my notice of the defective cartridge.

23. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

If it's the one I'm thinking of, they will come good in the end but you have to be (very politely) persistent. These days I pay the extra and buy from authorised dealers, for an easier life and peace of mind.

I'm pleased you found the answer to the problem, at least.

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

jupiterboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.