Installing cartridge on Technics SL1210 MK2 (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 115thdream, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 115thdream

115thdream New Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I picked up a Technics SL1210 MK2 and Audio Technica AT440MLA cartridge, bought them online but the place I bought from actually does have a shop, albeit nowhere close to where I live.

I contacted the store asking them if they could fit the cartridge to the turntable themselves before it gets sent out which they said they would do.

I have received the turntable today and they haven't installed the cartridge, but I basically have no idea what I am doing now, I've got a turntable, a cartridge and no idea. The only paperwork I have is the pamphlet provided with the cartridge (which all seems to go over my head a bit as well), there is no manual for the turntable. So when it comes to setting up the cartridge I'm clueless, I don't know what tracking/adjustments etc. anything needs or how to go about this.

The only turntable I owned previously was a Rega P1, I took that out of the box, put the weight on, adjusted tracking etc. according to all I had read online and sorted, job done.

Any tips/suggestions/guide on what to do here?

2. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

There are literally dozens of step by step tutorials on-line; VERY easy search

Especially for Technics machines (arms) WITH PHOTOGRAPHS so you don't have to research every new vocabulary word you may encounter and not be familiar with

Also, Vinyl Engine has various alignment protractors on their site which are offered at NO CHARGE, Vinyl Engine will also have the Owner's Manual for your table and in it there will be EXACTLY what you need to know and do in the simplest of terms (Technic's standard set-up is VERY easy)

At this point, do not allow yourself to become side tracked with alternative set-up schemes, just start off with the "factory" recommended procedure and geometry and work from there as you become more intimate with the subject

This is how you should do it

CARPEYOLO likes this.
  3. 115thdream

Ok, so I've managed to do this, despite my somewhat melodramatic original post. They included a small bit of plastic (actually Technics branded) that you can plug the Technics headshell into and align the cartridge/stylus from that by matching the tip of the stylus up with the point/arrow on the plastic bit (I have no idea what this plastic thing is actually called, haha). I've managed to line it up so that the stylus tip pretty much meets the arrow on this plastic measuring device both vertically and horizontally but when I have screwed it into place it looks a bit skew whiff on the headshell, being at a bit of an angle and one of the screws holding it in place a bit higher up than the other. Does this sound correct when all points are matching when I used the measuring device?

The tracking force I have set to zero, but this required three turns of the weight before it would stay in place (so I went from zero through to three point five on the weight then back to zero) and the anti-skate is also set to zero. Does this sound correct? Just wondering if there is too much weight being put on the stylus having had to turn the weight fully before it would stay in place.

On another note, I have given the turntable a test run and it's playing fine, but only out of the left channel on my headphones. All of the wires are connected properly to the cartridge/headshell, I've double and triple checked, and the phono wires are fine. It's a weird one because when I half unplug the headphone jack, I can actually hear sound out of both headphones/channels, but when I plug the jack in all the way/properly the sound only comes out of the left headphone/channel.

Any tips/advice on the above is much appreciated, cheers.

4. Analogman

I have given you the most helpful and honestly thoughtful "tip" you could receive, short of installing the cartridge for you

The Owner's Manual for your specific turntable/arm (including set up details) is available to you for FREE at Vinyl Engine:
    Vinyl Engine - The Home of the Turntable
    www.vinylengine.com/
    The Vinyl Engine has all the information you need to get the best sound from your records, all completely free of charge.

You have described the Technic's set up jig, that's good, and the "factory" method I mentioned (nice, as it adds convenience to achieving Technic's 52mm over hang setting from bayonet base/plug)

When that little jig is used, the cartridge "should" appear square in the head shell, but this requirement is NOT and absolute, as many cartridge bodies are not 100% symmetrical with their casting/molding/ etc

I am not going to allow myself to be drawn into a spoon feed, long distance cartridge installation via what is essentially email when a superior illustrated rendition of the material, without all of the typing, is already only a few clicks away from you; I have given you good advice, take it

ALL of your questions have been answered already, and more thoroughly, than I could ever do (or am willing to do) here

It is a WELL COVERED TOPIC, WITH PHOTOS & HUNDREDS OF ILLUSTRATIONS, ALL OVER THE INTERNET

Did you have a look at Vinyl Engine's set-up section and manuals as I suggested?
    Read any of the dozens of set-up tutorials available on line?

Put some effort into it

Good luck with your set up :agree:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The key to using the Technics Jig (its official name!) is to ignore that little notch in the center. The idea with the jig is it helps you align the cartridge at 52mm offset, so the length is the important aspect, not positioning it into that obviously off-center notch. Pointing the cartridge straight ahead in the head shell has always worked for me. The Technics is pretty forgiving with setup.

Given that you've checked and double checked wire connections, I don't think your problem with only one channel being present has anything to do with the cartridge setup though. The part about "when I half unplug the headphone jack, I can actually hear sound out of both headphones/channels" seems to imply it's a problem somewhere else in the chain, especially if the half-unplugged sound is actual stereo separation vs. "double mono". I guess you don't have any actual speakers to test with?

A manual for your turntable can be found here: http://www.kabusa.com/SL1200MK5.pdf
    Never mind the different model, all of the key information is the same and the MK5 manual explains things better then previous iterations.

6. Analogman

Sorry I missed this; channel drop outs/problems with Technic's tables are commonplace (on well traveled tables)
    DJs have a bad habit of using spit on the head shell connections when gigging (in the field contact enhancer) This is just one of several possible causes of this ailment
    Rough handling also gives rise to many Technics tables having breaks in the PHONO cables where they exit the deck's cabinet
    I recently had to replace the PHONO cables on my Son's SL-1300 for just this problem (just years of flexing, old age)
    The leads in your head shell may LOOK "OK" and not be; after making certain your head shell is making good connection at the arm you will need to investigate further with an Ohm meter (assuming the problem can't be cleared up with a little contact cleaner or alcohol)

You are starting to have enough issues with your new table it might be time to give your seller a call

The headphone deal? That's normal; if you get it in just the right spot, the STEREO 1/4" plug is making enough contact with one of the female lugs in the plug jack to give you a little signal on both sides: you have another problem (see above)

Good luck

7. 115thdream

I've tried swapping phono cables, so when I swap the channels on my amp they swap round on the headphones, I get sound through the right channel/headphone, then I can switch it to the left and the same applies. Again, if I half unplug the headphones I get a sound from both, if the headphone jack is completely plugged in I only get one channel. I tried changing the cartridge wires with the ones provided with the cartridge (rather than the ones that came pre-attached to the headshell) and that didn't change anything. I don't currently have any speakers I can test unfortunately.

It's probably going to end up being a return after all, I don't really have the patience (or time) to sit there myself trying to troubleshoot the problem etc. and it does seem like a fault to me, I plugged my other turntable into the amp and that was working fine as usual. So it's something to do with this new turntable/cartridge that is the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.