Instances where the * (MoFi) MFSL CD * -version is the best version of any digital format

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jelloza, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

How is it better than the original RCA or EMI/Fame CD?

George P likes this.
  2. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Yes it's expensive. I paid a lot a few years back For a good disc.

3. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder- Innervisions
    John Coltrane- Blue Train
    Miles Davis- Kind of Blue

audiomixer likes this.
  4. AJH

AJH Senior Member

If memory serves, many years ago, in another thread, I believe Steve said the MFSL version of Year of the Cat was a flat transfer of the master tape. I own the MFSL, and several other versions of Year of the Cat, and I find it sounds rather lifeless compared to other versions I own.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

I dig the EMI/FAME mastering.

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I have both the EMI and the MFSL - The EMI cost me more BTW, as I found the MFSL in a shop bins for 8.99 years back. While I prefer the MFSL, due to it's "smoother" mid's and low's, I would not give up either disc, they are both excellent.

vconsumer and Plan9 like this.
  7. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

In actually, i prefer 2014 remaster of GBYBR to MFSL or MCA 1st CD. MCA 1st CD is lack of clarity and sounds trebly. MFSL is good but sounds little 'OLD' to me. 2014 Remaster has good tonality and clarity although a little compressed

8. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

GBYBR give me the SHM-SACD/Pt CD any day.

mpayan likes this.
  9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm surprised if there's a redbook version of HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED better than the DCC gold disc. Is it so, and are the other MFSL hybrids equally good?

10. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I think MFSL did a great job with R.E.M.'s Murmur and Reckoning, although I haven't compared much beyond the original CD's of both and the later 2008 double of Murmur, so I'm not qualified to give a definitive statement on best all around, but they're better than the other versions I've heard.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Bob Dylan Bringing It All Back Home. Best I have ever heard it.

The Velvet Underground White Light/White Heat has been the best version of this on CD for a long time. I still prefer it today.

Yes I agree. It sounds like they rebuilt this album, and only for the better.

Also I suspect that the MFSL of Miles Davis On The Corner is hard to beat.

Guss2 likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

IMO, there isn't.

audiomixer likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed.

mr.datsun likes this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Agreed.

15. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

I don’t understand this viewpoint. In many respects, the WL/WH MFSL sounds better from a vocals standpoint, but there is serious clipping going on. How does that then make it the best version on cd?

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

There is no clipping on the title track
    There are two instances of clipping on The Gift – at 3:06 and 7:18
    There are four instances of clipping in Lady Godiva's Operation.
    There is no clipping in Here She Comes Now
    There are two instances of clipping at around 1:31 on I Heard her Call my Name
    There is one instance of clipping in Sister Ray at 11:43

All these instances of clipping last for a length of about 3 samples.

I don't really think these are enough to concern human listeners or interfere with their perception of the music being reproduced. Or can be counted as 'serious' clipping. Do you?

Jack_Straw likes this.
  17. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

I’m not trying to be facetious, but isn’t clipping (any incident of) a result of audio being mastered too loudly?

I can’t recall any example of a cd that sounded natural, relaxed, warm, and analogue that just happened to also have any clipping.

I realize that WL/WH is a poorly recorded, aggressive, needle-to-the-max cacaphony, but that doesn’t mean I have to turn it DOWN when I play it. I noticed immediately how much louder the MFSL is from all the other digital versions, though I did prefer it to the 1996 remaster. But the 1986 cd has more of that “vinyl” quality that I dig.

Just my two cents....

George P likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Do you mean distortion? The distortion seems to have been ‘baked-in’ to the mix at analogue stage. The distortion does not apparently come from the mfsl mastering. There is a lot of head-room in that mastering, which is why I looked at the digital clipping, which is what I thought you meant. Yes, the mfsl is compressed. Maybe that is what you mean. It’s possibly the most compressed version there is on CD. And yet for many years it was VU fans favourite version of the album on CD, which is why I said what I said about it – based on people's views on the vu forum over the years.

I agree that the 1986 CD is probably the most natural-sounding version there is. What is interesting about that remaster is that Bill Levenson, the producer, said of it that when they mastered it for CD, words to the effect – ‘that they could not leave the distortion as it was’. How they might have lessened it I don't know, unless they went back to the master tapes. The distortion is obviously there on other CD remasters, except the recent mono remaster.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  19. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Yes, heavily compressed. Agreed.

20. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

You mean the Target CD, right?

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My favorite MFSL CDs are:

Eat a Peach
    Bridge of Sighs
    Mad Man Across the Water
    Backless
    Stand Up
    Second Winter
    Don't Cry Now
    Marc Cohn
    All Time Greatest Hits - Roy Orbison
    Moving Pictures - Perhaps the best version ever.
    Bookends
    Back in the Highlife
    Full Moon Fever

22. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

They both get slammed for the amount of bass, compared with the original CDs, but I really enjoy that phat bottom end.

Jim N. and Golden Richards like this.
  23. "Miles Davis - Kind of Blue":
    The MFSL is one of the best digital issues.
    Album list - Dynamic Range Database
    You can argue ratings/numbers ain't music; however, in this specific case of attempting to definitely define the superior release, DRD Ratings can figure into the equation.

Enjoy.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I am impressed with the shm-sacd of gbybr also

25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I found Bridge of Sighs, Second Winter and Full Moon Fever to be too bright on the MFSL Gold CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.