Instructions for a DIY Who compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Hey Luke,

If you're out there, I have an old post of yours from the first DCC forum, the first all-text version (post is date 5/1/2001).

It does a track by track comparison of all the Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy (MBBB) tracks with other CD's out there, and I thought it would make a good blueprint to making your own CD compilation. Main guideline is that remixes are avoided. No fake stereo, which means several tracks from the My Generation: The Very Best of the Who (MG: TVBOTW) don't make it.

This is edited a bit, but here's what I've got:

1. I Can't Explain - MBBB version takes the cake. Unlike other versions, there aren't any clicks in the beginning, and the drum sound is a lot better, much more clear.

2. The Kids Are Alright - The box set by default, since it's the only place to find the complete, unedited version. Not a lot of difference in terms of sound quality when compared to other versions sampled.

3. Happy Jack - Who's Better, Who's Best (WBWB), for better drum sound and no NR. The one found on MG: TVBOTW uses some NR, given away by rising and falling hiss levels; on MBBB, drums aren't well defined with the EQ a bit mushy, possibly an inferior tape

4. I Can See For Miles - MBBB is the clear choice. Interesting note: there's a hard intro. On WBWB there's like a half second more, but it sounds terrible in general. Remixed on the Astley CD's.

5. Pictures of Lily - Pretty close call around when comparing the box set, MBBB, and WBWB, with the box set possibly being a bit more bass heavy, but not quite as clear. MBBB has it mastered at a lower volume. Personally, I'd go with the MBBB.

6. My Generation - MBBB is the clearest sounding, but again, not a big difference. WBWB is a bit more distorted, the box more muddy.

7. The Seeker - No notes given. On MBBB, it's 10 seconds shorter than the one found on most current CD's.

8. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere - Toss-up between box and MBBB. Personally, I'd go with the MBBB.

9. Pinball Wizard - The 1993 Erick Labson mastered single CD probably used the best source. Remixed on Astley CD.

10. A Legal Matter - MBBB. Box is close, but uses some NR that leaves some noticeable distortion on the vocals.

11. Boris the Spider - MBBB is in true stereo, but a bit thin, a bit bright. Luke gave the nod to a disc dub of the German vinyl ("warmest and fullest"), followed by the AQO CD (MCA MCAD-31331), but if you don't have either, I'd try fixing the EQ on the MBBB version.

12. The Magic Bus - MBBB is the clearest, and sounds like a better source than the others, but the EQ still needs work. Bass is a little thin, and there's too much top. The EQ on WBWB is a bit better, but it sounds like an inferior tape source. Still, the MBBB version is the only place you'll find the complete intro, so it gets the nod, more so if you can fix the EQ.

13. Substitute - WBWB gets the nod. MBBB doesn't sound too good in comparison, and MG: TVBOTW has some NR.

14. I'm A Boy - MBBB uses an alternate version that's longer with different vocal overdubs. WBWB uses the original stereo mix. MG: TVBOTW and the box use a remix that loses a lot of overdubs. I'd go with the WBWB, maybe throw the MBBB on the CD-R as a bonus.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd have to change my opinion here. The MBBB version was taken from a tape that had something else recorded on it before that didn't get erased all the way. You can hear this (bass sounds) mostly in the left channel in places.

I'm pretty sure there's no NR on the box set...

Everything else pretty much stands up, I think. After listening some more, I'd say ICSFM is more of a personal preference between WBWB and MBBB - they sound *different*, but I'm not sure if one is really better or not.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

You could substitute the *extremely rare* long version of "Magic Bus" for the MBBB version.;)

4. Matt

Does such a thing exist on a boot somewhere? I'm not a collector or anything, so I'm not aware of all the different versions of different songs.

I've grown attached to the MBBB version.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The long version is in mono/fake stereo, is unedited, and has different lead vocals. It was on the MBBB LP, but can only be found on CD on The Who Collection.

It's interesting, but I prefer the short stereo mix on the MBBB CD myself.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

lukpac said (with my own added emphasis)
    Luke is rarely given credit for his capacity for understatement. I would have said that the MG:TVBotW version of "Substitute" was ravaged by a "breath" sucking vampire named Noisefereductionatu. :)

OK, now that we have things covered more or less up to "The Seeker", and our options have been previously well covered on Who's Next (get the Canadian CD unless you can find one of the very scarce early MCAs by Steve), what is the best digital source for the subsequent singles: Join Together, Let's See Action, and [The] Relay? They sound decent on my British Rarities Vol. 2 LP, (better than my Hooligans LP, anyway) but I never heard the Polydor CD version of the same and it appears to be difficult to find, anyway.

The Box Set may win on "The Relay" by default due to lack of competition.

Regards,

7. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Ken posted the following:

The one thing, Ken that frustrated me about The Relay was that its intro was underneath Join Together in a crossfade. It should have been included on Ultimate Collection, but with Astley at the remastering helm maybe it was good that it wasn't. Love to hear it in hothouse isolation on a decent Who comp, but oh well.

And I find it amazing how (I believe according to Astley), we were not going to have multiple greatest hits packages, just one, and yet we need to go through three compliations (Box Set, MGTVBOTW, and now Ultimate) to get a stereo mix of Magic Bus.

Brian

;)

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You know, I've never really bothered to compare those. Join Together is on WBWB, FWIW. I never did bother to pick up the Hooligans CD. I do have the German Rarities CD, though.

Note that Relay on the box set is a) a remix, b) crossfaded with Join Together. I do like it, though - a neat exercise is to edit on the intro from, say, Rarities, with the rest of the remix.

9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Thanks to everyone! Now I can replace my recently eaten cassette of the Who. The one track I need a recommendation on is the single version of "Summertime Blues".

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If you want the original mix, pick up an old Polydor LAL CD - 825 339-2.

11. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Here's something interesting. I was in my local cd store today and found a 2 for 1 Japanese cd of Who Rarities Volume 1 & 2 on Polydor. It was sealed and dated 1991. There was also a German Polydor cd of the same as well. I bought the Japanese version and found the sound to be very good. Anyone have any info on this one. I couldn't read any of the mastering info as it was in japanese.

12. nashreed

nashreed New Member

When considering how many Who comps have been put out on the market- I'm curious if every comp has been considered as a source... including the "Millinium Collection", the old "Who's Greatest Hits" with the Union Jack on the cover, etc.

nashreed

13. Matt

That "Zombies" thread got me thinking about this, but if you want mono versions of "Boris the Spider" and "Magic Bus," you can pull them off the box set. Saves you the trouble of either tampering with the EQ or finding an out-of-print, in some cases, obscure CD's for source material. In some ways, I actually like the mono mixes more. "I Can See For Miles" is great in mono, too, but I'm not sure where you can get a good-sounding version of that on CD. Just stay away from the My Generation comp for "Boris the Spider," which is fake stereo on that CD. Don't remember if "Magic Bus" in fake stereo on that disc, but "Boris" is.

14. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

I'm pretty positive that disc's "MB" is straight mono (non-fake).

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's the mono mix, but IIRC, there's a SLIGHT bit of difference between the two channels - obviously "mucked with" somewhere along the way. Not very noticeable, though.

*Personally* I have no use for the mono mix. It's a bit "harder" sounding, but also really squashed and clouded. The stereo mix is just amazing - just very "alive". Probably one of my favorite mixes, period, other than the backing vocals being a bit harsh.

I'd never even heard the mono mix till the box set - Who's Better Who's Best had the stereo mix, and radio always played the stereo mix as well. When I heard the box set my thought was "what IS this garbage?"

16. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

I just checked my copy. Actually, very noticeable with headphones. I didn't remember that much channel difference from before -- my apologies.

Could have been mono tape playback on a (mis-aligned?) stereo tape head as opposed to intentional stereo faking, too.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd have to check again, but I'm pretty sure it's more than that.

18. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Here's a funny bit from the liner notes.....
    "This mono version of 'Magic Bus' has been included at the request of Who fans!"
    Due to the fact that it has also been included on the bonus disc of the new collection, no one has figured out that it is the long mono mix, from MBBB, that the fans are requesting!

19. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Senior Member

I made a track by track comparison of the cd version of Rarities for the hell of it. This might help if you're making a rarities compilation:

The cds I tested:
    Rarities German Polydor
    Who's Missing Canada
    Two's Missing CD-R
    Magic Bus The Who On Tour
    A Quick One Remaster 1995
    Who's Better Who's Best
    30 Years Of Maximum R&B

Circles - Rarities vs Two's Missing = Rarities. Two's Missing is more compressed.
    Disguises - Magic Bus vs Rarities vs AQO = Rarities
    Batman - Mono mix, nothing to compare to.
    Bucket T - Magic Bus vs Rarities vs AQO = Rarities but they both sound like crap.
    Barbara Ann - Rarities vs Who's Missing = Rarities. Who's Missing seems more compressed.
    In The City - Mono mix, nothing to compare to.
    I've Been Away - Rarities vs AQO = Same. AQO is louder, Rarities has slightly more bass
    Doctor Doctor - Magic Bus vs Rarities = Magic Bus
    The Last Time - Rarities vs Two's Missing = Rarities is a little better.
    Under My Thumb - Rarities vs Two's Missing = Two's Missing
    Someone's Coming - Magic Bus vs Rarities = Magic Bus
    Mary Anne With The Shaky Hands - Rarities vs Who's Missing = Who's Missing. Rarities version was
    taken from vinyl with many audible clicks.
    Dogs - Rarities vs Two's Missing = Rarities. Two's Missing is more compressed.
    Call Me Lightning - Mono mix, nothing to compare to. Box set is stereo, Ultimate Collection is fake
    stereo, Magic Bus version has no lead guitar.
    Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde - Magic Bus vs Rarities = Nothing to compare to. They are 2 different mixes
    Join Together - Rarities vs Who's Better Who's Best = Who's Better Who's Best. Rarities sounds like a
    bad tape copy.
    Don't Know Myself - Rarities vs Who's Missing = Rarities has more treble, Who's Missing has more
    bass, it's a matter of personal preference. Rarities is a little better.
    Heaven And Hell - Rarities vs Who's Missing = Who's Missing
    When I Was A Boy - Rarities vs Who's Missing = Same as Don't Know Myself. Rarities is a little better.
    Let's See Action - Rarities vs 30 Years Of Maximum R&B = 30 Years Of Maximum R&B. Rarities
    sounds like a bad copy.
    Relay - Rarities vs Greatest Hits = I don't have the Greatest Hits cd, so I can't compare.
    Waspman - Rarities vs Two's Missing = About the same.
    Here For More - Rarities has too much treble, Who's Missing has too much bass.
    Water - Rarities vs Two's Missing = Two's Missing. It doesn't have the "somebody, champagne!" scream
    at the end.
    Baby Don't You Do It - Nothing to compare to.

Some cd versions of Rarities have Water and Baby Don't You Do It edited. The full times are:
    Water 4:44
    Baby Don't You Do It: 6:17

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Don't forget the box set, which uses the stereo mix.

In stereo on AQO.

In stereo on the box set.

Can't say I agree with a couple of the assessments, but hey, what are you gonna do...

21. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Senior Member

Which ones do you disagree with? It's all a matter of personal preference.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

And there's the rub...

Personally I *generally* prefer the stuff on Who's Missing to that on Rarities.

23. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

A very cool approach to a custom compilation. Of course, one man's ideal sound is another man's bane of sonic existence. Still, it's cool to see fans who take the time to research these differences.:D

24. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Early "Singles" CD of ICSFM

I'm late to this thread, having just joined the forum, but as a committed Who freak among other such obsessives I have to ask a question right away: Where on earth did the mix of ICSFM on the Who "The Singles" CD come from? This compilation was released in 1984 by Polydor London, catalog number 815 965-2. The mono mix of ICSFM features a very loud, very low bass track that I've not heard on any other version of this song. Very strange. Anybody else heard this?

Gardo

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Early "Singles" CD of ICSFM

Well, I don't have that particular CD, but I know of it. The mix is either the original 45 mix, or a mix done for the BBC. Both had an additional bass line overdubbed on top of the basic track. The difference being the BBC version has the bass overdub a lot louder. I'm not yet sure if the two mixes have the same overdub, or if each had a different overdub.

Now, I have yet to hear either a good/clean version of the 45 or the Singles CD, so I can't tell you exactly what version it is, but that should give you a start, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.