Integra RDV-1 CD/DVD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by laynecobain, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member Thread Starter

I made a trade on Craigslist for a very well-kept, well running Integra RDV-1. I really had no idea on the brand or model. I think I have figured out at some point Onkyo bought his company and made it it's "Elite" or "ES" brand?

I'm not finding much on the player I have, but plenty on the RDV-1.1 which Onkyo put out and the only difference between the 1.1 and my 1 is HDMI and SACD is offered. Could be more, and likely.

For what I got it for, was a week's lunch, so it was more to buy something that was considered very high-end on the early 2000's.

The sound blows away my Pioneer Elite DV58 on CD's and DVD-A. It's heavy, maybe 26 lbs at least and is made very well.

Anyway, looking for anyone who knows anything about this component? Manual download? I need a remote control also.

Thanks

2. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Forum Resident

3. laynecobain

Thank you very much for the manual link! I'm wondering if a Logitech will have a code...I may have to call them and see if their $30 one does it. If not, I'll be paying more for the remote than the player.

4. laynecobain

I knew this also had the ability to be used as a DAC with the Optical and SPDIF IN/OUT, so I did an A/B against my Schiit DAC. Amazing this 10 year old component is right there with it. And if warm is your thing, it's better than the Schiit. Comparing some classical now.

I can see how this was selling for $4K back in the day. Everything about it is smooth as silk. Just wish it played SACD's. But bought a Sony BDP-S590 and that issue is taken care of.

Probably going to sell the Schiit BiForst now...so look for it soon in the Market Place.

5. laynecobain

Wow, this thing is incredible. To think it was manufactue in 2001 blow my mind. Forget about the DVD portion. If you can find one of these cheap, like I did, buy it for the RedBook and OutBoard DAC. Excellent component and cheap if you can find it.

I'm using a $30 Logitech Harmony Remote. Works perfect after downloading all the info online.

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The "Integra" name has always been used on Onkyo's upper-end components. At some point in the early 2000's, Onkyo decided to separate the Integra components (rebranded as Integra Research and aimed them at custom-installer market) from its regular Onkyo components. This practice has stayed 'til now....even Onkyo's current $1,300 CD player doesn't carry the Integra moniker.

Btw, I clicked on the link to owner's manual and checked out the "Features" on this DVD-A player. Wow! That's some serious componentry inside.

7. laynecobain

I downloaded the manual, and you're correct. It's like a 54 page book. Ironically, it's not much to set-up. Once I bought a Logitech Harmony and got into the Menu it didn't offer anything more than my old Oppo 93.

I changed it to 2-Channel analog and it made such a huge difference, other than that I didn't change too much in the Menu.

I'm not knowledge about " toroidal transformers" or what they offer audio wise. Looked up Apogee, which is stenciled on the front, and they seem to be more a software company now, maybe they were back then? But the below script on the RDV-1 sounds good. Again, didn't buy it for the DVD picture use. Just audio.

Integra Research's RDV-1 DVD, DVD Audio, and CD Player
    05/14/01 - The Integra Research RDV-1 is a THX Ultra certified DVD player that combines professional audio and video circuitry features to extract the ultimate performance from DVD, DVD Audio, and CDs -- including CD-R recordable disks. It can also function as an outboard D/A converter for other source units. The RDV-1 was designed from the ground up to set new standards for DVD performance and quality; the D/A converters and power supply alone make this product stand out from the competition. The RDV-1 uses 192kHz/24-Bit DAC to provide the most accurate DVD-Audio playback possible. The DAC uses a Vector Linear Conversion (VLC) system with a low jitter Master Clock developed by the professional audio firm, Apogee Electronics, of Santa Monica, CA. The Apogee clock all-but eliminates jitter and provides for the highest quality digital conversion available. The Vector Linear Conversion system completely eliminates the ""sonic unevenness"" inherent with conventional conversion methods.This low-jitter digital clock circuit was first developed by Apogee for the professional music recording industry, and is at the very heart of the best equipment used to make the master recordings for music. Now, Integra Research and Apogee have used the same technology to play these recordings back at home. Jitter is the measure of the lack of rhythm between digital sound samples. Unfortunately, the human ear and brain are very sensitive to these tiny timing irregularities. Jitter of just a few nanoseconds can compromise digital audio performance by interfering with the brain’s ability to perceive a stereo soundstage. By using the Apogee clock, the RDV-1 minimizes jitter and insures each digital sample arrives in perfect step with all the other samples. With all the digital signals zipping around inside a DVD player, there is a lot of potential for these signals to go where they do not belong. To circumvent these problems, Integra Research has developed high-quality dual power supplies to provide inherent DC stability and ensure that no traces of digital artifacts enter the audio paths or analog ground. The Integra Research RDV-1 is also state-of-the-art when it comes to video. It has progressive scan video output for a smooth, flicker-free image, and compatibility with digital-ready TVs that can upconvert video signals. The video playback system uses a 27MHz/10-Bit video D/A conversion with four times the accuracy of conventional 13.5MHz/8-Bit systems. In addition to a full complement of optical and coaxial digital outputs, the RDV-1 has a multichannel analog output (DB-25) for simple single-cable hookup of multichannel applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.