Integrated Amp for bedroom. .?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tubesax, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubesax

tubesax New Member Thread Starter

Looking for int amp for double duty. Sammy bookshelf speakers & head phone use
    Source to be mostly CD , TT maybe in near future . Headphones to start ,speakers later
    I would like simple straight forward amp 50 -100 watt should do fine
    Headphone sound quality is crucial
    I've considered int tube amps like rogue Cronos ( I have Cronos mag in main listening area) at top of price point. Down to Yamaha S500 much less$ but questionable HP quality. Rogue audio Sphinx as well

So. .. I ask the forum members for some help with this
    Price range. Max @ $800. Preowned is ok.
    Turntable /phono capable is a plus

2. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

Check out the PS Audio Sprout. It is a little lower on the power output, but has all the features you're looking for and goes for about $500.

3. timind

timind phorum rezident

4. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

+1 on the Sprout... PS Audio (through Amazon) offers it for $500 here. Its made for small applications, has a nice Wolfson 192/24 DAC, headphone amp and a phono stage to boot. Also, you can stream your music via Bluetooth and add an audio component. The only drawbacks are that the external component must be hooked up via a mini jack and the unit's frequency range only extends down to 50Hz. That last bit is the only thing that has kept me from jumping on it as I've heard it several times and it does everything I need it to but I need more bottom end on my speaks.

5. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I'd go for an SET. Low power, makes a nice nightlight, warms up the room on those cold winter nights, and has a sensual midrange perfect for those intimate small ensemble recordings you play when you have a special friend staying over.

beowulf likes this.
  6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I think for that application I would use one of the new BlueSound PowerNode2's. 60 watts, analog OR optical audio in (not both as they share the same jack). Also part of a great multi room system.

I used to run my office system on a Sonos Amp and was quite happy until it's limitations (no hi-res or external storage) pushed it out.

I have a NAD D3020 and it would serve this app perfectly if 30w is enough oomph. That little is soon much better than it should be - and I think they just dropped the price $100!

7. tubesax

I'm leaning towards something like the Sphinx -integrated & hybrid
    it's over powered for bedroom but you never know ;)
    I would really like all tube but just too bulky

8. BayouTiger

I think I would have a look at the Creek Evolution 50a as well. It looks really nice but no dealer new me to take a listen.

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

NAD C356

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am glad a special friend was involved because I was beginning to wonder where that was going!

I like the NAD D 3020 and the Pono a lot. On sale both together should be in your budget with room for a micro sd card or two. Then you could have a balanced headphone set up were the Pono shines while adding headphone portability. You could probably drop the CD if you had a way of ripping/managing files, you would also get hi res; you would not be set up for vinyl; so really this is probably more if you want to scale it down which I am gathering you might not.

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The Sprout is probably a nice little amp, but I can't abide by anything that labels the phono input "vinyl", and am worried they won't sell it to anybody without a beard and Ryan Gosling haircut.

BayouTiger likes this.
  12. tubesax

hey rolltide , did Ken Stabler go to 'bama?

13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yep.

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Peachtree makes some nice stuff - usually you can find something used on Audiogon - like a Nova.

One on Audiogon for 475 - I'd take that over the PS Audio. I take that back - seems the one on AGon is a preamp - usually they are Integrated amps.

Last edit - there is another one on Audiogon that is an Integrated amp is 675.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  15. BayouTiger

I sold my Peachtree Decco65 for $400 shipped. Never buy one new! They list them refurb for $499. My only beef with them is their refurb sales makes them the worst resale in the business. Nice amps otherwise!

16. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I have a not very well known small integrated suggestion for you: Music Hall a-15.3

I've had mine for about 6 weeks in my small listeningroom. It has the specs and power you've mentioned, I believe, and it's under $500. Mates well with my small Totem speakers. Got mine from Underwood Hi Fi. Good bang-for-the-buck.

50 wpc
    6 line-level inputs
    Built-in mm phono input
    Front panel mini jack
    Basic black and solidly built

17. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

My bedroom has a Rega BrioR which are available $500 to 800 range. No headphone but I use the headphone jack in my Audiolab 8200cdq. With other cdp I use outboard headphone amp. Many good inexpensive ones are available.

18. tubesax

I just rediscovered NAD. They have a few int amps. Good prices. Not tube but they may do well

19. professor gascan

professor gascan Well-Known Member

I've had a Yam A-S501 for a year and have absolutely no complaints with it's performance driving my AKG q701 hp's or Polk speakers. Connectivity is great with plenty of line level in with optical and coax digital as well. Having a dedicated sub out is also a nice bonus. The A-S500 is basically the same amp without the digital inputs and can probably be had pretty cheap. There is also the A-s301 with all the same specs and inputs but 20w rms less.

The Yam basically let me get get rid of my other vintage ss amps(Pio sx-850, HK 330) it performs so well.

20. tubesax

I'm leaning towards the NAD 326bee. I have a 2 nad CD players & am pretty happy with them
    I had Yamaha receivers back in the day and they were very good
    I'll take a peek at the s500

21. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I was happy to find out when I got a NAD D 3020 earlier this year that it still had a very similar sound to my 3240PE I got around '87 and had for about 7-10 years. Nice to be back to NAD.

22. tubesax

I have an older nad 7220pe sitting around that I'm going to put into service
    If it sounds good I may pursue a newer unit like the 326

23. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I like the sound of my Peachtree Nova but I agree with others here, get a used one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.