Integrated Amp for low to medium volume listening

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antoniofhowe, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antoniofhowe

antoniofhowe Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am seriously considering upgrading my current amp, which is a CA Azur 351A to something in the $1500 - $2000 range, the frontrunner right now being the Rega Elex-R. Here is my current setup:

Rega RP6 w/ Ortofon 2M Black
    Leema Acoustics Elements Phono
    CA Azur 351A
    Monitor Audio BX2

I live in a condo building so I only listen at low to medium volume settings. My question is, is it worth my money to upgrade the amp when I can't turn it up? The power output of the CA is 45wpc (8 ohms) while the power output of the Rega is 72.5wpc (8 ohms). I have no issues with the power output but I often wonder if I could get better sound quality if I upgraded.

Thoughts?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd get a tube integrated amp for that system and purpose. The Jolida JD-202BRC is a really sweet sounding little amp, well within your budget.
    -Bill

_cruster and Daedalus like this.
  3. Maxwell86

Maxwell86 Active Member

I had a A351 traded up to Musical Fidelity M3si very very nice upgrade

Erik Tracy and PROG U.K. like this.
  4. antoniofhowe

The M3si is actually second on my list. Still, are these upgrades worth it if I can't turn up the volume?

As for tubes, I've never actually heard a tube amp so I'm going to try to audition one. I have read really good things about the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum, though it may be a little out of my price range.

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

A buddy is in the same situation. No, more power will not do anything for you at all. Another amp might or might not sound "sweeter" to you, but if you're going to spend money, save up and upgrade to a much higher quality SPEAKER. If you like your Monitor Audios, to something even higher in their lineup. I'd also suggest towers-despite what you might think, more low frequency extension *should* result in better transients and damping of the bass you do hear. Plus, you can get some more low bass that will be pleasant without being overwhelming to your neighbors.

A tube amp might indeed sound "Sweeter" but it depends on your ears/brain and on your speakers themselves. Tube amps have a high output impedance that interacts a lot with speakers, so it is a very synergistic relationship. Personally, I wouldn't bother changing the amp, but if you can audition at no risk what the heck. Just BEWARE-the tube amp WILL sound different right away. You'll have to listen to see if it is really an IMPROVEMENT or just different. Tube amps also eat more power, especially as they are often left on constantly due to warmup issues.

6. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I would also consider speaker upgrade before the amp. I believe it is where you can find the most bang. Give the Dynaudio X14 a listen. I love mine.

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Seriously, a used Pioneer Elite A-717 for under $500. These things are built like a tank and sound amazing and have a true bypass for the purist. I've owned 3 for decades now. Very reliable and plenty of clean power. Something in totally out of the box thinking for you.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Maxwell86

Maxwell86 Active Member

9. antoniofhowe

I just upgraded to the Monitor Audio's maybe 6 months ago (I was running Polk Audio Tsi200's before that). I have no complaints with them and they are the perfect size for my listening area. I'd like to see how they are with a new amp before I think about upgrading again so soon.

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you can't find a nice tube amp in your price range I'd recommend a solid state amp that runs heavy in class A. I have a 30 watt Cairn 4808A integrated amp which serves up the first 10 watts in class A. At low volume, which is where I do most of my listening, class A seems to offer more coherence than most.

gregr and Daedalus like this.
  11. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I'll echo everyone here ... tubes and I'll also throw in very efficient speakers. And yes it can be done for $2000.

For something really special check out the Decware Zen Triode SET, 2 of the most bang-for-the-buck watts you can get for the price at $895.

Then pair them with a set of really efficient speakers such as the Omega Super 7 Monitor MK II, 95dB @ 8 ohms a single crossoverless and efficient speakers that (being a single point source) have excellent coherency, speed and imaging for the price at $995.

The Decware amp is all point to point wiring and comes with a Lifetime Warranty. The Omega Speakers use its own proprietary drivers and come with a 10 Year Warranty. Both the amp and speakers are hand built in North America and IMO they offer some great pricing for the quality and customer service you get.

This setup will be excellent and dynamic at both low level listening and capable of reaching higher SPLs when needed (although not as high SPLs as multi driver speakers and solid state amplification can do).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  12. antoniofhowe

Ok now I am really intrigued... and a little confused. Looks like I have some more research to do!

beowulf likes this.
  13. Maxwell86

Maxwell86 Active Member

You like your speakers, trust your ears you will know when you hear the right amp.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  14. antoniofhowe

I've been reading about the Zen Triode amp linked above and am seriously considering it, however I do have a question maybe someone could answer. On their site they talk about how pre-amp's are not required... that's different than the phono stage right? So I would still need to run my TT through my Leema Acoustics?

And if that is the case, is there an issue with running the source through a solid state phono stage before it hits the Zen?

15. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

It is similar to an integrated amp in the sense that it has a volume control and RCA inputs for 2 sources. However it does not boost gain in a way that a preamp does, but that shouldn't matter as long as your source has enough gain (which most DACs and CD/Blu-Ray players do) then you are good to go.

And yes you would still require and plug your current phono stage/preamp into one of the RCA inputs, then your TT into your phono stage just like you are already doing. No it will not matter that it is solid state and it will sound excellent, in fact it should sound better using the tube stage amp. Decware also makes a fine tube phono stage, but your budget will not allow at this time but consider it in the future.

Rick58 likes this.
  16. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

If you don't need the power (and it sounds like you don't) why not just get the Brio-R and throw the grand you saved at a killer DAC or a nice set of headphones?

Ntotrar likes this.
  17. Maxwell86

Maxwell86 Active Member

18. antoniofhowe

I have to wonder if this would really be an upgrade worth the amount of the Brio-R. I don't want something where I'll only notice a little bit of a difference, otherwise I may as well just stick with what I have.

19. antoniofhowe

Found it, thanks. Not sure how I missed it the first time.

Man the SE84CKCS and the ZP3 Phono Stage would look awesome sitting together on a shelf, especially with the matching wood bases. They'd be great conversational pieces when I have people over too.

Apparently there is a dealer in south central BC (about 10 hours from me) that handles both Decware and Omega. I'm planning a road trip out to BC this June and may have to build up my budget until then and stop in to take a listen.

beowulf and raferx like this.
  20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Eastern Electric M88 is on sale for $1800. Plays well with the KT120s. Good transformers, biasing meter, true balanced inputs with their own valve for a digital source. Good grip, good detail, and very accepting of alternate valves. No balance. No headphone. No phono.

21. REV76

REV76 New Member

I have a NAD 533 (Planar 2 rebrand) with a Ortofon 2M Black. I was using an Outlaw Audio RR2150 and recently swapped it out for a Yamaha A-S801. The RR2150 is cheaper. Throw the Yaqin 6J1 tube buffer on it and the sound opens up completely. Otherwise, the RR2150 is too warm sounding.

22. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

The Elex is basically a higher powered Brio with a better phono stage. The two designs are very similar.

23. cwon

cwon Active Member

If it's possible, I'd audition the amp you're thinking of before deciding. You might even bring your Azur into a shop if that's the only way you can compare. The power rating might not make a difference in the quality of the sound if you plan to play it soft.
    I don't know what the Monitors sound like, but if their efficiency is average, you might also investigate a higher efficiency speaker. You might hear more without having to turn the volume up.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  24. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I like my rebuilt 1959 Scott 299a tube integrated in my office system. Paired with a set of Dynaco A 25s.

beowulf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.