Integrated amp recommendations <$3,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PopularChuck, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone...

I'm pondering an upgrade from my Jolida 502BRC integrated and would like any recommendations. My current rig is a Rega Apollo R CD player, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with an Ortofon Bronze cartridge, Jolida JD-9 phono stage, and Golden Ear Triton Seven speakers. Power and interconnect cables are Signal Cable.

I'm happy with the current system but would like a little... more. Space also is a bit of an issue, so I'd like to get an integrated with a phono stage to eliminate one box if possible. I'm partial to tubes, but wouldn't rule out solid state. I listen to rock, jazz and a little classical.

Budget is $3,000 or less. New or gently used, doesn't matter. So far I've been looking at Primaluna and Rogue Audio (just missed out on a Cronus Magnum on Audiogon), and there's a nice Cary Audio Design on A'gon, but don't know much about other brands.

I haven't had much luck getting much info about what might pair nicely with the Tritons (sensitivity is 89 db), so if anyone's got specific info that might help, I'd love to hear it...

2. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat, I've got a Peachtree Nova and Cambridge Audio phono preamp that I'm looking to upgrade into one unit. The Cronus is high on my list from everything I've read but it's weak point according some is the phono stage. I know that Primaluna has some respected stuff but I'm not sure if the newer integrateds have built-in phono stages or if they are all tube. I'd like to get something all tube and all point-to-point wired but that may not be within my budget or I'm going to have to look at vintage stuff which comes with it's own challenges.

3. PopularChuck

Primaluna integrateds offer a phono stage option for $229 and they're point-to-point. I like the Dialogue Premium, but it's just a bit above my budget (though open box models come up from time to time).

4. jcure

jcure Forum Resident

I love my Cronus Magnum. Highly recommend it.

5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Musical Fidelity kW500 or Tri-Vista integrated, Tube pre amp/SS amp, the best of both worlds with phono. Only issue for you, they are two box deals.

6. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Almarro 318B if your speakers are sensitive enough.

7. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

Croft Phono Integrated

I'm using the Croft Micro 25 phono pre, which is absolutely wonderful for the money, and is I think very close to the pre side of the integrated. The mm stage is a delight, I was running a Whest PS30 RDT before, and the Croft holds it's own quite happily, I'll just need to add a SUT at some point for mc carts. Art Dudley reviewed the integrated recently, and rather liked it.

raferx and bhazen like this.
  8. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Cronus is outstanding, I have no desire to change after 4 years.

You will have trouble bettering your JD-9 with a built in phono stage. I would find a way to make it fit.

crassus515 likes this.
  9. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

The Cronus Magnum is a great Integrated, but the Phono section would be hard pressed to better your JD-9. The Jolida JD-9 is soo thin, maybe you can keep it in the mix.

10. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Ha, Great minds!

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

How about a Rega Elicit R? I believe they come in under 3k.

Alan2 and RonW like this.
  12. Redux

Redux Active Member

I heard both integrated primaluna on Martin Logan Montis. Both amplifiers are good compared to price - altough the "entry level" model is a bit weak if you want to play loud.

13. PopularChuck

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm not adverse to keeping the JD-9, which would open up more options for an amplifier.

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The Rogue Audio Sphinx at $1400 (with remote) was just reviewed by Stereophile and came off very well.

Upinsmoke likes this.
  15. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Nice choice. You won't go wrong with a nice Marantz in that price range either. Keep th JD9 in the mix.

Ntotrar likes this.
  16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Suggest some of your budget for a better deck. The Carbon will get you so far. A 50:50 or thereabouts split would net greater rewards I think.

Ntotrar and blakep like this.
  17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

keep your jolida as a pre and go for an audio by van alstine fet valve power amp. the fet valve 600r goes for ~3200 and has 300 watts per channel.

for solid state go for the cambridge audio 851w power amp. ~ 250o. 200 watts / channel.

experience is that power is not over rated- get as much as you can from a reputable manufacturer. a higher powered amplifier will sound better (more dynamics and less strain) even at lower to mid volume.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  18. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Agreed. 100%

19. I listened to the Triton Sevens with my Simaudio 250i when I was shopping for new speakers and was quite impressed with the sound. There is no built in phono but it sounds like you already have a nice stand alone. They are 50 wpc and get good reviews. I haven't heard your current amp so cannot speak to the advantage of one over the other but thought I would throw it out there for consideration. Best of luck.

20. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

But I don't think the phono stage is tube based.

21. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

This...all day long - call it done and done.

22. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I don't know why I forgot this one as it would be what I would buy right now for 3K.
    Musical Fidelity M6i. This is a very fine integrated with some awesome power and clarity. The soundstage is wide open and the sound is warm and very musical. I'd buy it...

23. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I was leaning towards an NAD 390DD w/phono board before jumping on my MA6300. Still would've liked to have heard the NAD but the Mac's not going back.

Bill

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

How about a used McIntosh MA 5100, MA 6100 or MA 6200. All in nice refurbished condition can be had for your budget and give you many reliable years of musical performance. www.mcintoshaudio.com gets you these refurbished by Terry DeWick with very good warranty. A good long term investment.

Redux and RonW like this.
  25. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Heed Obelisk SI with outboard power supply.

Or Croft. I think the Croft is only $1895 and has a spectacular phono section.

raferx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.