Integrated amp recommendations <$3,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PopularChuck, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Couple more to chuck in to the mix -

- Cambridge Audio 851A. I've got its predecessor (840A v2 – now discontinued) and highly recommend it/either. Fulsome, confident and detailed. Holds a killer soundstage. It’s certainly not ‘in your face’ though, and some may find it reserved.
    - Naim Nait XS. A friend recently got one of these. Amazing. Pulses out the music with real heft and detail. May be a bit too sonically rich for some though.
    Not saying I recommend them over suggestions above, but just well worth auditioning if you get the chance. Neither has built-in phono stage.

2. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Or even the Rega Elex-R. Check out what's written about it here.

http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_integrated_amps.html

Having auditioned the Croft Micro 25 pre and then the nearly-twice-as-costly Micro 25 R and decided that the cheaper pre is the better one I have now learned that sometimes more is less.

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Another happy Cronos owner here. I was looking for something between my Peachtree Decco65 and ARC separates and the Rogue has been nearly perfect. I only gave a quick test to the phono stage as I have a PhonomenaII that I like a lot. I also just added a DACMagic 100 to connect the Sonos and AppleTV.

I can also say that I loved the little Decco65 as well. It sounded great, but the Rogue has a great ability to disappear into the music. I demo'ed the Sphinx and didn't care for it, but unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to spend a lot of time with it before taking it back.

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

If you decide to go that way look know further than Ayre's AX7.

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

With a £200 turntable? A £2000+ amp? Come on guys, just because the guy's got three big ones to spend doesn't mean we're going to blow whatever balance he's got in the system out the water. It's all opinions I know but the sources and the proposed amps are out of whack here!

chumlie likes this.
  6. missan

missan Forum Resident

I´m guessing there must be hundreds of amps that would fit perfectly fine in this case, just pick one that looks good.

timind likes this.
  7. Redux

Redux Active Member

I recognize that the Golden Ear Triton Seven speakers have some very good recommendations. As far I can understand, you have some very fine and transparent speakers with a good soundstage.

Hence, the only good advice is to stay away from any bad and cheap amplifier and check out several recommended ones. Your speakers are relatively easy to drive, so purchase amplifier according to room size and how loud you want to play.

For instance, you can get some very nice amplifier from, for example, Luxman - even class A 20 watts for a good price. They have plenty of current and play relatively loud with few watts. Others have recommended Mcintosh. Some of their (entry level) models are not compatible with 4 ohms speakers, but your speakers are 8 ohms - so you should be pretty safe in any way. In contrast to many analytical high end and stereophiles, I like the warm, yet detailed and transparent, sound from the Mcintosh - but you should benchmark them carefully with others.

If you life tube like sound, Manley is also very nice / warm sound.

My best recommendation: T+A Power Plant is another good amplifier (it is probably the best recommendation within your budget!) if you are the analytical kind/listener (they have a load of recommendations - german quality and design - they look lovely!). German quality = never breaks!

If you don't like to repair your amplifier every year or so, stay away from tubes! I went for a SS amplifier after several years with tubes.

8. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member Thread Starter

The turntable will be upgraded at some point. I only recently got back into vinyl.

Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't considered that (obviously). Advice like this is one reason I started the thread...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  9. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

The Croft is £1k and includes a phono stage, saves on cables and power cords. Add a Clearaudio Concept TT package @ £995 including the mm cartridge and you'd have a pretty decent set up imho :) Not quite sure if this maths still works at dollar prices, but I guess it would still be close.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Musical Fidelity M6i.

11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Great suggestions so far.

Rogue Cronus is always a very good option. For just a little over your budget, you could also think about a Rogue Pharaoh, which is another great choice (and has a nice phono stage).

Rega Elicit-R would be a very good match with the Saturn.

What Cary integrated are you looking at? (SLI-80?)

12. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I love my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium. It does everything very well out-of-the-box. Upgrading the tubes can really make it sing. I bet you can get a good deal from Kevin at Upscale Audio. He is the US distributor of PrimaLuna and a no-BS wheel-and-dealer. He also knows tubes and tube amps. That's where I would go first. I've heard that unit is set to have a price increase (if not already).

I have a local shop that sells Rogue and they really think the Cronus is awesome. Anyone know how Rogue is getting 100wpc out of the Cronus?

13. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The current model (Magnum) uses two pairs of KT120's. I think they can be pushed well beyond 100W.

14. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

The Croft is an amp I really wanted to demo before I pulled the trigger on the Audio Note Oto SE. Acoustic Sounds has it for $1995... Use the difference and get a great AC/Mains cable.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/8...ft_Integrated_Amplifier-Integrated_Amplifiers

15. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

PROG U.K. likes this.
  16. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

17. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Prima Luna and Croft are both amazing companies.
    But looking at your system, I would upgrade the turntable first.

18. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Unison Research Unico Primo with MM/MC phono stage is about $2500. Step up to the Unico Nuovo for 20 watts more per channel (95wpc vs. 75 wpc) and you'll come in right at $3000.

(I'm the US distributor, but I honestly would rather have Unison than any other brand mentioned in this thread--and I've heard most of them.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    timind and rob303 like this.
  19. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Recently heard a Unison Research Unico Nuovo selling used at 1/2 price and just 1 yr old. Excellent sound it was paired up w/a pair of KEF LS-50's.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  20. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Wow! Good lookin' stuff! Where can I find pricing and dealers?

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  21. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

22. missan

missan Forum Resident

If you are continuing this long enough you will reach really good amps, like Bladelius or Accuphase. ;)

Metralla likes this.
  23. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Solid state?! Ewe... ;-)

Metralla likes this.
  24. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

Have you heard Sonneteer Orton? It is great.
    I also have 4 other integrated amps: a Rega Brio R, Marantz PM8004, HK 6950, Onix OA21s. The Orton is clearly in another higher league. Awesome solid state beauty made in England.

25. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

No mention of YBA Integre DT solid state with built-in phono stage. A reliable and well built integrated with excellent reviews.

Happy hunting :edthumbs:

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.