Integrated amp recommendations <$3,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PopularChuck, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Some excellent amplifiers here, and a few people suggesting I upgrade the TT first. I'm going to ponder that before proceeding.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Let us know how it works out.

3. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

http://colleencardasimports.com/dealers/

You can call your nearest dealer for info, or if you give me a PM I'll let you know the pricing.

4. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

That was the combination used for the LS50's US debut at the California Audio Show a couple of years ago.

5. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I ordered my kit yesterday - a Croft Micro 25 preamp with phono stage and a Croft Series 7 power amp. Between Glenn Croft and my local dealer I'm also having the following mods done: -

1) Mono switch
    2) Single volume control plus balance control
    3) Remote control for the volume and mute
    4) An extra line-in
    5) A buffered line out to support a tape loop

Looking forward to getting that set up at home!

In between auditioning and buying the Croft kit, and just for fun, I purchased an Arcam Delta 290 line-only integrated amp on eBay. Lovely, musical amp that throws a massively wide and deep soundstage. Not as good as the Croft kit, however but something that will still get used every now and then because it has such a sweet character.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

7. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member Thread Starter

I just pulled the trigger on a Croft Phono Integrated. Once the bank account rebounds a little, I'll start shopping for a better turntable.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Opeth likes this.
  8. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Sounds good to me. Maybe we should compare notes when our respective pieces of Croft kit arrive. :)

9. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

Congratulations both, I think you'll both be very happy! It's actually amazing how fast one adjusts to the dual volume pots, but when I get mine upgraded to "R" spec, a mono switch sounds a very nice addition.

If either of you find the gain is too much, Croft can address that too, but I found a swap to 5751 tubes (lower gain version of the 12AX7) solved my slight issue. I can highly recommend the GE 5751's.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on :)

sound chaser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.