Integrated amp with surround sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hifisoup, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone check out the new Marantz 8012? A huge beast. Seem great for music w clean power.

As some point I need to upgrade from my old Rotel RSX 1065. Been great for music for 15 years, clean sound but no hdmi or proper surround needs.

Love the new Rotel RAP 1580 but have heard about hdmi handshake issues. Music is my number 1 concern so can I get around that ? I do love the Rotel sound.

Then there is the Anthem MRX 1120.

I don’t care about Bluetooth or streaming Bells and whistles. Even room corrected set up stuff.

Thoughts on these three ?

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

This is a Marantz SR5007. There is one currently on eBay, with 9-hours left on the auction. There is one bid, currently for $175.95.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a link to the product description on the Marantz web site. The original retail price on this unit was $849. It can handle 4k.

About anything that you can conceive an AV receiver doing, this one can. It comes with the largest instruction manual I have ever seen for a piece of electronic gear.

By coincidence, I bought this very same model for less than $300 on eBay, last year, when my processor died. It was for temporary use, until I replaced the processor.

It was an excellent sounding unit for both stereo and HT (and I am not a big fan of AV receiver's.

It didn't fit well into my system configuration. My system is set up for a processor, which feeds into the other pre-amps and amplifiers. This unit is designed to be at the end of the chain, before the speakers. I ended up gifting a longtime friend with a HT set up, which included this AV receiver.

They sell so many of the Marantz AV receivers, that you can usually get one that is only a few model years old and in perfect condition, for about one third the new retail price.

[​IMG]
    You can save a LOT of money, this way!

Alternatively, you can buy a fairly late model Emotiva Processor used for about $200-$300 dollars used.

That way you can get a nice analog integrated amplifier, of your choice. Peachtree offers both true analog and digital. There are often many eBay listings for used Peachtree integrated amps in the $400-$600 price range. I own and use Nova's and iNova's.

Kubricker and Richard Austen like this.
  3. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I have been looking at the Anthem AVM 60. This is utterly overkill for me as my Hong Kong Apartment will not be able to support 11 channels of audio - still when you look around the rest of the market the price (while not cheap) still seems way better than what most other companies are offering. From the people I've read or talked to it is a first rate SS preamp along with surround sound - and as I am looking for a reference level SS system this sure looks enticing. Quality high power SS amps second hand usually come cheap too.

[​IMG]

BayouTiger and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. I've recently been hearing more about Anthem and was told that the AVM 60. was a sold unit and especially great for audio. But I've noticed that software updates are PC based with no MAC iOS option. What's that about in 2017?? How would you update software if need be if you don't have access?

5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I know the Anthem ARC software only runs on Windows. I did it on my MRX300 and 510 via a Fusion VM. I don't recall having to use any software to update the 510 but Its been a couple years and my memory ain't what it used to be.

edit: It looks like Anthem does indeed have an iOS app for ARC and firmware
    Anthem ARC Mobile on the App Store

BTW looking at their site, that new integrated is sexy as hell! I hope my dealer gets a demo !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I use PC so it's a non issue for me.

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I got a multichannel Yamaha for $20. 5.1 analog inputs; I could use it to biamp a woofer and satellite. Working remote too! Also got a Denon 2-channel, with pre-out/main-ins, for $10...though I haven't gotten sound out of that one yet, or even hiss. Lots of cheap old receivers but a great point about 3ish year old stuff.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Just won one of those Marantz 5007’s on ebay for cheaper than some of the new/refurb ones I’ve been looking at for ages now. Looks to be in excellent shape.

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have been using Emotiva's UMC-1, processors. I've set up a couple of them. And, you are right, when you are first trying to understand their operation, it will drive you up a wall, until you have it figured out.

So, my LFE's channel went out on me, a few weeks back, so I upgraded their newer 4k processor, the MC-700.

Before doing the exchange, I took the time to write down all of the processor's settings.

But even thinking that I had this processor thing down, by this time. But Nooooo, the menuing system was completely different, the input's and output's were different and the remote has changed completely.

I ended up with me taking several days, before I had it completely back the way that I wanted it set.

10. parman

parman Music Junkie

I just stumbled on this thread and it made me think, why did all the manufactures feel they needed to include a tuner in the surround sound amps?? I don't think anyone was buying one to listen to the radio with

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Totally agree with this.

parman likes this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Might be very cheap to implement and if it is missing someone might hedge.

parman likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Or the wife would really object when she can't even play the damn radio on this new thing brought into the home.

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think, from my own experience, there are people who don't have enough time to research properly, make a mental list of things they do need, and make it harder on themselves by immediately discounting the more common features they can't seem to make heads or tails of, in respect to their own ergonomics.

I will try to shop like a pro, but with an amateurs' perspective in experience. So I will make unnescessary demands of the marketplace I don't completely understand, with no thought that I may miss those features once I gain a little more time using it. People like me want to buy the "best" one, one time only, and without doing my homework, assume it will be somewhat "future proof".

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Try a Yamaha DSP-A 3090. Older unit but has the 7.1 you are looking for and 80WPC if my memory serves me right. It has a really good sound for a A/V integrated amp. You can find them for around $250.00 to $300.00 used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.