Integrated Amps - Moving on up!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChuckyBuck, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

No, they figure the rebuild will take at least 20 years and we are only starting year 7.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Wait till a similar quake hits LA ...

3. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Numerous. Too many to list. For basic Integrateds, Rega Elex-R and new Brio.

My best systems are comprises mostly of separates. Complete Herron audio system, and Hovland preamp/McCormack DNA500/DNA125 amps.

4. coopmv

Steve McCormack has not been very active after he split with Conrad-Johnson ...

I once considered one of the McCormack amps before I decided on a CJ amp.

5. AmericanHIFI

Sure he has. That's when he became more active, actually
    SMc Audio in Vista, CA. Offering excellent upgrades to all amps he's ever designed along with a world class designed from scratch and built in-house linestage preamp. Look them up.

6. coopmv

But nothing in the way of a brand-new amplifier ...

7. AmericanHIFI

Indeed, no. He was working on a reference level mono set two years ago, but no word. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't have to. DNA500 is one of the best amps in the world and is sanely priced. They're very hard to find used. Insane power, drives MBL 83db 1ohm dipping impedance. Has balanced inputs. Have off loaded 5 digit Pass Labs monos in it's favor.
    Has the tactile qualities of a good tube amp in the upper frequency with control of the best solid state in the bottom end. A rim shot will make you jump.

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

The way we all hear things seems to be unique to ourselves.

Everything I say about amps is just what my ears tell me. YMMV

I currently listen to two amps (well, receivers) that I love the sound of, and which to me sound distinctly better than other amps I've heard over the last 50 years. A Sony STR-6055 receiver and a Marantz 2238b receiver. They just sound beautiful to me. :)

Edit - Another unit that has a very distinct sound (to me) and that I don't care for is the Exposure 2010S integrated amp.

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. coopmv

I am beginning to wonder if I should have my Tandberg TR2075 MKII seriously overhauled given how much you enjoy your vintage Marantz 2238b. The Tandberg TR2075 MKII is only 75 watts/ch and obviously does not have a pair of dedicated CD input jacks ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

It would be nice to see a successor to the DNA500 ... :righton:

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  11. AmericanHIFI

I just don't know how much improvement it would be.....
    Seriously.
    Unless a successor's price would skyrocket......
    I've also had a pair of X600.5 (Pass) compared to it. Four people on panel preferred the DNA. All driven by Pass preamp (so Pass wasn't at disadvantage).

D

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Any of the inputs will suffice. There is nothing internally/electrically different about any audio input labeled "CD" on any piece of equipment.

Looking at the image you posted, you have two inputs you could use for your CD player, or DAC, or whatever you want: Tape 1 Mon and Tape 2 Mon. :righton:

13. coopmv

I am pondering if I should go for the Pass INT-150 ...

14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If you want us to enabl...ah...encourage you....go for it!! :righton:

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. coopmv

But the Bryston B135 with a 20-year warranty is quite good too ...

[​IMG]

I would buy American or Canadian anytime.

16. coopmv

One of the problems with receivers from the 1970's is the lack of solid speaker binding posts ...

Sneaky Pete, gd0, EmmEff and 2 others like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Indeed, just this last weekend I was in the hardware store buying spade connectors so I can attach speaker wires to the screw in speaker outputs on my Sony STR-6055 receiver. :)

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

At least screw-on speaker terminals are better than the wire-clipper types ...

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

Unfortunately, for a $5,500 integrated, it does not provide an onboard DAC. But it does have one tape loop ...

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I agree. :)

But if nobody goes near the wires then they shouldn't come loose or anything.

21. coopmv

Looks like the Tandberg TR 2075MKII has similar accommodations for speakers ...

[​IMG]

But have never run more than one pair of speakers since my quadraphonic days ...

bluemooze likes this.
  22. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I'm surprised CJ hasn't done something with the DNA 750. They took the basic architecture of the DNA 250, upgraded the parts and tweaked the circuit topology to make the CJ MF2550. The DNA 250 was a fast, powerful amp, but the MF 2550 really took the refinement to the next level. A CJ MF 7550 would have been a very interesting proposition. Re the comparison test you ran with the Pass..I don't now how long the folks listened. Good as they were, I found the McCormacks DNAs fatiguing after a while, which is what separates the men from the boys at this level. The Pass gear is amazingly non-fatiguing.

23. AmericanHIFI

They listened for a few hours back and forth. I find most Pass amps a bit colored AND fatiguing unfortunately. Owned and auditioned a few since Alephs (which are not fatiguing).
    Not every MC has been a success. Love the DNA500 and 125. 225 sounded rather 'muscular' to me.

Now......a 500 is two 225s parallel bridged resulting in a push-pull amp configuration. But it sounds magical......
    The topology yielded itself to success in that type of config. One designer never knows till he tries.....

24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I wanna hear some Floyd on dat thing.

25. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Couldn't be further from my experience with my Yamaha A-S1100. With a SUT feeding the MC section it s freaking incredible. In fact it is quite tube-like, especially comparing it to my former Line Magnetic 216.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.