Integrated amps under 2K that can properly run 4 ohm speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metalmunk84, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are there any integrated amps under 2k that can run 4 ohms speakers without struggling?

2. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

Naim ...

3. metalmunk84

Which model(s) are you refering to?

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Well, if it's a Naim integrated, it must be one of the Naits...

And I disagree with the notion that they'll properly drive four ohms. Except for the biggest models, Naim amps usually have a single pair of output devices and get very warm when asked to provide any real current. In my view affordable Naim amps are only suitable for easy loads.

anothertribe likes this.
  5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

New or used? SS or tube?

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

The Naim XS would be able to do it, but it is just over the 2K limit.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Bryston have an integrated that will do it, however the B100 is well out of range at 4K, but I'm sure a S/H B60 could be found for under 2K

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The B60 is only a 60w amp. While it might be stable at 4 ohms with some speakers and at some levels, I wouldn't recommend it without knowing what speakers he has. 4 ohms isn't enough info...
    -Bill

9. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I don't ge tit, most amps that are properly designed can deliver a clean signal down to 4 Ohm, many even down to 2 Ohm.
    Stereoplay tests each amp they review with different loads and show how they beave and up to which Watt numbers they can deliver a clean signal. After all you can even use a multitude of amps for electrostats that go down to 2 Ohm..

I will check a few names ...

okay the first would be CREEK's EVO 2 A1 a budget amp with very good sound for its price = 769 Euro

The power output was measured with 78 watts 8 Ohm / 84 6 Ohm / 118 watts at 4 Ohm and even a clean block ( clipping would be red in the drawing ) with 130 watts at 2 Ohm.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

11. Baron Von Talbot

5 brand new amps around 1000 Euro a piece

Arcam A 28 - 104 /125 w, 3 ohm 146 w, 2 ohm 139 watt .
    safe use recommended up to 146 watts at a complex load at 3 Ohm !!!

Pioneer A9 MK II - 66/91 8 and 4 Ohm - 'good power output, but reduced at complex loads' - massive clipping occurs at 4 OHM already 58/118 ( 41/130 at 3 / 25/215 w at 2 Ohm)

Music Hall a50.2 - 113/168 watts - 'High power output but best at less complex loads - safe to 168 watts maximum music '
    clipping starts at 4 ohm already 98 / 217 w at 4 Ohm maximum - 45/106 at 3 and 88/121 at 2 ohm measured.

Moon 1.5 - 58/92 watts 85 / 93 at 4 Ohm ( clipping beyond 85 watts ) 63/106 at 3 ohm and 88 / 121. lots of red clipping alerts - safe use up to 58/92 watts
    no complex load
    - still a good sounding amp

and the very good french
    ATOLL IN 100 SE - 110/162 w , 150 at 3 and 104 w at 2 ohm - safe use up to 162 watts at 4 Ohm

only 2 of these have clean, black blocks all the way down to 2 Ohm = ARCAM + ATOLL

the big sellers :

Marantz PM 8003 = 88/132 at 8/4 Ohms 'HIgh, but at complex loads reduced output) lots of red blocks = clipping alert !

Roksan Kandy L2 = 124/187 ' High music output up to 225 watts at 2 OHm (!) - clean as can be !!!!

Vincent SV 232 = 133/212 watts 'Very high power rating,s only limited at very complex loads - Tiny red clipping at 3 Ohm and more red at 2 Ohm

Perfect stable amps would be Creek / Arcam / Atoll and Roksan

12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

13. metalmunk84

I guess I'm looking for something new, although either SS or tube will do.

14. metalmunk84

I've been looking at the Polk LSi series which are all rated at 4 ohm. The two models in particular, the LSi15 and LSi9, are both rated at 88db efficiency. My listening space isn't that big (10x12) so I'm not sure that the LSi15 would work as well as the LSi9. Have most of you here found that floorstanders don't work well in smaller rooms?

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I called Crutchfield last week about the LSi7 and LSi9, to see if the Denon 395 (80 wpc @ 8 ohms) I bought from them three years ago would drive the speakers, and they told me they'd work well together.

Call them and ask them about it. 1-888-955-6000.

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The LSi9 is the better choice of the two, but not because of your room size. It's because the LSi15's bass doesn't integrate well with the mids/highs. However, that issue can be fixed with a crossover upgrade.

The Wyred 4 Sound STi-500 ($1995 MRSP) will have no problems driving 4 ohm loads. Sounds good too.

17. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

Arent most NAD, Cambridge and Rotel stable at 4ohms?

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I would think so. We already have a recommendation for Cambridge Audio. The NAD C 375 should have ample power to drive a 2-ohm load. I would think Rotel amps could do it as well.

19. winged creature

Thats what I thought, my Rotel power amp can run a 4ohm load with ease, I dont see why the integrated cant.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I believe that the 840v2 Cambridge Audio is the only integrated actually rated at 4 Ohms.

21. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

My Rotel RA-1062 integrated drives a 4 Ohm 90 dB pair of VA Mozart Grands just fine. I assume the current production RA-1520 that replaced the 1062 will do the same.

22. Baron Von Talbot

What you believe is wrong. The NAD c 325BEE / 326BEE and 355BEE integrated I owned i the last few years all have the exact same power ratings given in their manual at 8 and 4 Ohm, 50 wrpm and 80 watts rpm - that has something to do with the NAD specials, soft-clipping etc.

The Yamaha AS 700 I had last year had power ratings listed with 90 watts at 8 ohm and 160 watts at 4 Ohm RMS.

The Yamaha RX 495 Receiver in my bedroom lists 70 / 100 watts rms in it's manual.... Unless you got a real lemon no 4 Ohm speaker should be a problem for any amp.

If you read a lot of reviews you will see that there areabout as many 4 Ohm speakers out there on the market than 8 Ohm and this doesn't change a bit- Do you think if those couldn't be driven with most amps they would still be in production ?

Plus 8 Ohm speakers also go down to 4 Ohm at some frequencies. To deserve the 8 OHM plague the speaker may not get lower than 3,6 Ohm at any point. 4 Ohm speakers may not go below 3,2 Ohm at any given int. Large 3 way speakers are often beasts with critical loads as low as 2,8 and need clean designed amps like those listed above as mega clean - Creek, Arcam, Atoll, Roksan in the budget region. and of course those with lots of power on tap like the Vincent...

Bigger High End amps usually have around double the power at 4 Ohm than at 8 Ohm and can drive any speaker properly, 2 Ohm Electrostats included.

SET and Tube amps qqualify, to..

23. winged creature

24. winged creature

Thats what I thought, Rotel integrateds can drive 4ohm loads without an issue just like the power amps.

25. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

PS - sorry I did not realize the OP was talking about 4-ohm units

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.