Integrated or Power Amp for Martin Logan Theos

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PTgraphics, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member Thread Starter

I am looking for some power for my Martin Logan Theos Speakers.

I had a Adcom amp but it was starting to buzz so I sold it before it got real bad - the dude is an Adcom fan and was OK with it buzzing a little. I currently have them hooked up to my Integra DTR-40.5. I have an original Auralic Vega DAC so I think I am good in the DAC department. I do have a SuperPhon SP100 Passive Pre that I could use if I go back to just a power amp. I do play records and my photo stage is a Nighthawk. I do have a step-up transformer form my phono also.

I know I need some muscle with the Theos to really make them sing and sound great. Right now everything is a little thin sounding but I expected that once I got rid of my Amp.

Not looking to get into Tubes since I don't do much 'critical listening' any longer and I have a line on a tube amp if I go that route. So Solid State is where I am looking right now. Room is only 12 feet wide by 18 feet deep with a real low ceiling since I am on the 3rd floor, basically near the roof. If I can find a Integrated great, if not just a power amp will do. In that price I think I am looking into something used, and I don't have an issue with that but I am done with older amps like Adcom. Budget is around $1,200 if possible. Thanks.

2. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

Hattor NC500 mono blocks ($600/ea)

3. PTgraphics

I read somewhere that maybe Class D power was not a good match for Martin Logan. Too sterile. Not sure how true that is.

4. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

There's class D and then there's Ncore. The stigma against the former is justified, to be sure. In my experience Ncore sounds sweet and tube-like; pure, in other words. I don't doubt that regular class D isn't a good match for Martin Logan or anything at all, really. But don't make the mistake (as I once did) of lumping Ncore (or Purifi etc) in with the blighted scourge of ye olde class D.

PTgraphics likes this.
  5. PTgraphics

Any other suggestions?

6. PTgraphics

No Martin Logan fans here or is my price point for different amp ideas too low?

7. Mr_J

Mr_J Active Member

Quad 606, 909, or their elite monos.

PTgraphics likes this.
  8. PTgraphics

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Looks like my receiver I used for the family tv watching and surround sound went bad tonight. Relay won't kick on to HDMI out, so my Integra that is powering my Theos will be put to use in that system and my old Creek 6060 will come out of hibernation and at least for now power the Theos. Can't imagine that sounding too good though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.