Integrateds with Mono switch ??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Waynefi, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ? Thread Starter

It seems there are a lack of integrated amps with a Mono function. With all the new found love with vinyl, with many Int. Amps coming with phono options(preamps also), I would think there would be more mono functionality. This is certainly an easy way to play mono which is fairly common, short of a mono cartridge and or jumper cables to mono.

My NAD Master Series M3 and Mac Preamp have mono, but as I look some many others in what is being offered new now, I do not see it.

What are others doing playing Mono vinyl ?. Or what are some current mono function equipped units ?

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

McIntosh is more conservatively and practically designed. Most units don't have mono switches, tone controls are also rare.

3. Good Vibes

Good Vibes Forum Resident

My Luxman SQ-38U integrated has a mono switch.

4. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

My ARC VSi60 doesn't have a phono stage built in, but it has a mono switch.

5. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

MA 6600 integrated has a great MM phono stage with a mono switch.

7. missan

missan Forum Resident

Most Accuphases

8. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My vintage Sansui has a mono switch. My Rega doesn't.

10. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Most modern integrated amps don't have a phono stage from the get-go - to find something that offers mono playback without an external phono stage is going to be one very rare bird.

11. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

My Luxman L-505u has a mono switch AND tone controls. I hope more modern amps will have this in the future, as well as retro look.

12. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The mono switch in early stereo pre-amps/ receivers was originally for cleaning up weak FM signals. Since almost all sources had migrated from mono to stereo, there was no need for mono mode for playing back vinyl, because who was still playing mono records? It is not until recently that mono has become a necessity for playing mono records. First of all, a great majority of vintage mono vinyl has wear, so the mono mode cancels all difference signal noise, therefore cleaning up distortion and noise from groove wear.

The mono switch is the most convenient way to play a mono record.

But the best way to play a mono record is with a mono cartridge. The cartridge should be designed with a single coil in line with the laterally cut groove. (not a stereo 45/45 degree alignment wired to mono) A stereo cartridge bridged to mono will work since it tracks and resolves the mono component in a stereo groove anyway. (the sum signal) However a mono cartridge more efficiently converts lateral mechanical movement of the stylus into a more robust electrical signal... a more accurate electrical analog of the groove itself. The mono cartridge preserves the full dynamic range and nuances recorded in a mono groove.

Just as an after thought, the best way to listen to a mono record is through one speaker.

Steve VK

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    CarterB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.