Interconnect Cables- Eating my Words

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What's banal about "But measurements!" vs "Your brain doesn't work as well as mine!"? We're just now getting to the good part.

jimbutsu and new world man like this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My system is very modest but also revealing and slightly forward / aggressive. My room is a little on the live side as well. Seems like the combination of revealing aggressive sound in a somewhat live room can be a prime candidate for a being helped along with good interconnects.
    Warm laid back systems in plush rooms might have a more difficult time hearing the differences?

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Funny, I have a couple of pairs of the Terminator 2 that I bought at least 15 years ago, and it's still a pretty good cable in a pinch.

And yes, Grover is still making cables.

John K.

Grant likes this.
  4. avanti1960

don't think so, all new hardware.
    per another post, i'm betting that a revealing, slightly forward / aggressive sounding system in a live room is more apt to show of the differences cable can make.

5. avanti1960

I only find a need to change something when I hear anything fatiguing or objectionable coming from my speakers. I did hear some slight nastiness on occasion and needed to do something about it.

If you don't hear anything objectionable coming from your system, consider yourself blessed!

jukes likes this.
  6. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I have at hand a Wireworld Equinox pair for an acerbic high end cd-/dvd-player. High capacitance wire vs. the other, more normal, cables.

7. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Listening fatigue is actually a serious matter, almost like a serious stress, I gather. It's just great if it can be avoided by swapping the cd-player interconnect.

8. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I have found the problem to be voltage overload. Cd players have ridiculously high output compared to most amps input sensitivity. An attenuator fixed all that for me.

9. enjoithepanda

enjoithepanda New Member

Being an objectivist (not to ambiguate with cynic or skeptic), my own perception was put through the double blind rigor. I'd perceived a change in frequency response when using certain different interconnect cables, and the difference was not a unique event; with each pass, the results were repeatable. As far as the resolving capability/price/brand tier of the electronics, the changes in sound that took place between different cables was as noticeable on modest '80's separates/receivers as it was on my main separates.

Grant likes this.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I think a big part of cables is managing gain and peaky frequency response from recordings and source gear.

11. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Thanks! I'll keep that in my mind.

12. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Cables have no blinky lights. I like blinky lights.;)

carrick doone likes this.
  13. enjoithepanda

enjoithepanda New Member

Bare in mind: In the case of a source CD paired with a preamp or integrated amplifier, there is an FR filter and potentiometer which reduce the input signal according to how loud the listener wishes to hear the music. This prevents overloading of the input. For most preamplifiers, overloading will occur at its output stage before its input, typically above 0dB attenuation.

Overloading the aforementioned CD player is another situation, and that can occur when the signal clips the DAC, or when the load impedance is too low or reactive for the CD player's output stage to reproduce the signal magnitude.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    gregr likes this.
  14. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

I make my own interconnects. Use Mogami as the other poster mentioned shielded cable with whatever plugs/jacks I prefer. Much cheaper and I know what gauge wire was used and that it was soldered correctly. Costs are very minimal. I choose the size, etc. Not hard to do at all.

carrick doone and Huck Caton like this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yep, that is another good test for cables. Put em' in live with them for a while, then take them out and put the old cables back in.

Dave likes this.
  16. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have been a fan of the "lower end" audioquest cables for quite a while.i think they make a difference.

17. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Golden ears are not required. What makes you think that folks who buy something other than basic cables aren't listening to the music? You have a lot erroneous assumptions going on here.

F1nut and Dave like this.
  18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Defensive much? Lighten up, Art. The problem some people here seem to have is rather thin skins.

Huck Caton likes this.
  19. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Nonsense. Not a bit defensive. Just telling it as I see it. Speaking of defensive....

F1nut, Preston and Erik Tracy like this.
  20. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Looks like my posts are getting deleted again. Fair and balanced ... sigh :(

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thread craps and troll posts will be deleted by moderators. If yours was one of those, it's gone.

Let's not get this thread closed down again, please.

Dave and avanti1960 like this.
  22. avanti1960

wasnt that a bowie tune?

23. avanti1960

i think you are on to something. with the cheapo patch cable my fm tuner would bleed through and be heard through the speakers at zero volume position. new interconnects- totally silent.

24. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Let the flames of the nonbeliever consume them...

Everything matters!

The humble wire have a sound. Mains cable will surprise as well. Source first/Mains: the other source.

Grant and Dave like this.
  25. new world man

new world man Member

Source first to a point. Biggest influence in sound and change though? Speakers. You can achieve minimal/modest changes with cables (I lean towards minimal). You'll get more with turntable and cartridge changes, but it's the boxes where the sound comes out by a long way IMO.

csgreene and enjoithepanda like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.