Interesting article on budget, tube based audiophile system.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by freeflyt, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member Thread Starter

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Very Interesting!

3. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Thanks for posting this article. Does anyone have/use the Wave amps mentioned in the article? I'm thinking about getting some new equipment and haven't decided whether to go for the tube sound. I do have to be careful about cost but the more I read and learn on this forum the more I want to play around with the hardware than I have in the past. Any comments about the suggestions for capacitors mentioned in this article? I need to replace some caps in a couple old radios. Good advice?

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Anybody have a link for these tube amps?

5. RDK

RDK Active Member

Another inexpensive tube amp that I'm using and really like is the $499 Zen amp from Decware. It's a SET and only puts out a watt or two, but it sounds absolutely lovely. Their website is filled with lots of good info for tube newbies. Check out www.decware.com

Ray

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Thanks for posting this story! FUN! This writer is our pal, he's done several good articles for MSNBC.

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I am seriously considering buying the preamp, amps, Speakers (but the next model up from the Atom) and doing the capacitor change and seeing what my vinyl sounds like thru it.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Great article. It goes to show that sometimes the more modest your budget it is, the more you will be happy with your system.

9. RetroSmith

i also wonder how much better the sound woulf be if you replaced the tubes it comes with and put in telefunkens? Do I hear "the breath of life"..............................

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

There's the theory that new gear is designed and "voiced" with current tubes, so vintage tubes might not be so good. Depends on the tube, gear, and the listener's tastes I guess. Vintage tubes can be soooooo darn pricey too, defeating the whole budget audio idea.
    Dan C

11. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

My wife was casually mentioning this exact point the other day while she was chasing me around the kitchen with an iron skillet!

-Jeffrey

12. RetroSmith

Hey Jeff, as long as she doesnt wack the tubes.......you will heal!!

PS....a friend of mines wife threw his Mcintosh 1964 tube receiever out of the window. Only time in 20 years I saw the guy cry.....and that includes his fathers funeral!!

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:eek:

Better keep on her good side!

:eek:

I wonder what would happen if I chained mine down?

14. BradOlson

What an idiotic thing your friend's wife has done, Mikey.

15. BradOlson

Speaking of hardware, my sister tried using my DVD player and she didn't like it one bit. She says it is too "high tech" for her.

16. Jeffrey

Hi Gary,

You best be talking about your McIntosh! :D

-Jeffrey

17. Jeffrey

Hi Mikey,

You're right, I'll heal! I'm feeling better already after reading about the alternative. :D

-Jeffrey

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

When I first got my VAC 140 monoblocks and 70/70 I went crazy with New Old Stock tubes until Kevin Hayes told me that he voiced the darn things with Chinese tubes in place. So, (a bit distastefully I might add), I put the stock tubes back in and yup, he was right.

However, in other cases it might pay to experiment, but not on a 99$ amp.

19. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

This is true. Perhaps it is not a matter of being modest but something you don't pay attention to its sound.

There is somewhere an analogy with stereos, trophy wives and girls-next-door.

20. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

How hard is it too install Auricaps? I don't think I even know what a soldering iron is. :(

21. RetroSmith

Its only a couple of them to do. its not a big deal.

As soon as My bonus comes in Feb, I'm picking up this whole 1,000 kit, but with the better speakers...their next model up from the Atom.

22. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Looking forward to hearing how it sounds. Anyone know which preamp the article refers to? I can't seem to find the one the author is talking about at the Antique Sound preamp page, http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html#PRE .

23. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

I couldn't find it either. I just found the amp.

24. RetroSmith

Im almost positive they mean the "Mini Phono Preamp" for 249$. Its the only one that seems to match.

25. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Isn't that just for a record player though? The one he mentions in his article has three inputs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.