Interesting/famous time signatures

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DanG, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes New Member

Isn't it "picking his nose?"

Honestly, I think that most of the songs mentioned in this thread have pretty easy/basic rhythms and metres...

???

2. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Even "Keep It Greasey" on Joe's Garage? Impressive.

How about I Hung My Head by Sting? Nice 9/8.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

When I think of 5/4, the first songs that pop into my head are the "Mission Impossible Theme" and "Everything's Alright" from Jesus Christ Superstar. I had a music teacher in high school who could not get his head around 5/4 time. It was both funny and sad. He would conduct the first three beats like triplets and the last two like eighth notes. Half the class just tried to follow him, and the rest of us wept. :D

Regards,

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Keep it Greasy is nuts!!!!!! I'd be fired from his band in a second!

5. Duke of Prunes

Funny... "Keep It Greasy" was the one that stuck out in my mind when I wrote my post; it's a bit cluttered, in the solo part, whew... Well, maybe I should qualify my statement... I really like that groove; Vinnie Colaiuta is my favorite drummer! In reality, though, a time signature is really only "difficult" if I don't know what it is (usually in orchestral works without "definite" percussion accompaniment, or very irregular syncopation), or there is a complex polyrhythm.

Also, you replied before I edited my post to replace the word 'simple' with 'basic' to avoid confusion with 'simple' vs 'compound' time signatures, which I was not referring to.

Robert

6. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Vinniefan here too! I agree, it can be confusing when you hear odd times for the first time before knowing what it is. It's really fun figuring those out.

7. Duke of Prunes

Oh, and apart from the solo part, there is another part of "Keep It Greasy that's pretty crazy. I think it's the second verse... Anyway, one of the verses where Ike is singing bluesy like it is a regular beat, and I have NO IDEA what the hell is going on in the instrumental backing. Granted, I've never attempted to analyze it (note to self: remember to try to transcribe that some time!), but it's enough to trip me up if I was the singer! (I was an instrumentalist too, I'm quite sure) Absolutely magnificent.

BTW, admittedly, I haven't heard all the songs mentioned in this post (eg that Sting song you mentioned, ybe), so bear in mind that I exclude those from my statements, as I am not familiar...

8. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

That's Vinnie Colaiuta there with Sting, of course. Check it out!

According to Vinnie on "Keep It Greasey" guitar, bass and drums were done live in studio and they changed the time signatures following Zappa's hand gestures! It has 4/4, 19/16 & 21/16 in there.

Info on "Keep It Greasey" and other Vinnie stuff here:

http://digilander.libero.it/drumland/INTVinnieMD82.htm

http://digilander.libero.it/drumland/INTVinnieRHTMNov2000.htm

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Little Feat had some pretty strange timings going on. "Day at the Dog Races" is the first one that pops into my head, but Lowell George was always screwing around with things.

John K.

10. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

Living In The Past (Tull) is straight 5/4 (you don't necessarily count time signatures only on the accents, which may be on the off-beat), and between that track and Brubeck's "Take Five", you can see how catchy 5/4 time can actually be.

And the "All You Need Is Love" verses are either 7/4 or one bar of 4/4 and one bar of 3/4, whichever floats your boat. I'd call the whole song 4/4 with occasional 3/4 bars thrown in for good measure (that's a pun, by the way....)

11. Duke of Prunes

Yeah, I know Vinnie's worked with Sting a lot, so I'll check the stuff out some time...

Hey, did you ever read that interview, or whatever it was, with Terry Bozzio where he told that anecdote about Vinnie sight reading a part of (the very complex) Mo 'N Herb's Vacation while turning the page with one hand and pushing his glasses up on his nose?

Heh heh. :bigeek:

12. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Yeah. How about his audition with Zappa when he sight read two thirds into "The Black Page" when Zappa stopped him and said: "Okay, yes, you can read." :cool:

Another Vinnie goodie: "Saint Augustine In Hell" by Sting, in 7/4 with ride cymbal in 4/4.

13. Nebin

Nebin New Member

Dance On A Volcano from the Trick Of The Tail Album by Genesis.
    Taurus Bass Pedals Rule!!!:D

14. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

Tool's latest album "Lateralus" has some pretty nifty time signature. The title track switches between 5/4, 7/8, 8/8, 9/8, 4/4, and probably some others.

15. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

ybe- I count the beginning of Whipping Post the same way. 11/8

MagicAlex- speaking of Rush, Time and Motion and the title track from Test For Echo have some real cool rhythm things going on. I heard a radio interview with Ged and Alex where a caller asked what the time signature of Time and Motion was. Geddy said, "Which part?"
    Kick-ass.
    And then there's Limelight, where the main riff is 7/4, the chorus is 3/4, and the verses are mostly 6/8 with an extra beat before the main riff enters again. Or something.

Peter D- I never read that about Discipline before. I never could pick one time signature, because it's in rhythmic counterpoint. Tony Levin's bass line sorta sounds like 13/8, but that's all I could ever come up with.
    God I love that song.

And Zappa- man, we could go on all day about some of his stuff. The man who can calculate what the heck time signature is going on in The Black Page (#1, not the disco version :) ) is a genius.

16. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

The intro to "White Room" by Cream.

17. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Me too. And you may well be right about the bass -- I wouldn't be surprised if Fripp, Belew, Levin, & Bruford are all playing in different time signatures...

18. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Ah, thought of a couple more. Hope no-one's mentioned them yet

Radiohead's 'Pyramid Song', off Amnesiac. I don't have the slightest clue what's going on there.

PJ Harvey's 'Man-Size' (and probably a couple others) off 'Rid of Me'. Sounds fairly conventional but every so many measures it goes weird.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what's happening on those two.

Cheers,

Damián

19. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

What, no Mahavishnu yet? How about "Celestial Terrestrial Commuters" from Birds of Fire—a very swinging 19/8!

One of my fusion favorites was keyboardist Jan Hammer's "Magical Dog" from his (sadly not on CD) Oh Yeah! album—another one in 11/8. I hummed some of it for an Indian tabla-player friend of mine. He counted to himself for a minute and said, "Actually 5 1/2—but you could say 11!":D

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ah, Dave Bryant checks in, probably one of the few famous players out there who could keep time in 19/8!
    :)

My simple brain wouldn't be able to keep up....

21. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I'm too lazy to check now - but didn't Paul Simon have a song (Cool, Cool Water?) on the Rhythm of the Saints album that went all over the map?

22. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Well, I can count along when Billy Cobham does it...

- Living Legend Dave

23. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Chicago is another band that loved odd time signatures - Goodbye in 7/4 and All Is Well in 5/4 from V, the crazy stuff going on in Manipulation, and lots more. ("Can you play free / or in three / or agree / to attempt something new?" - A Hit by Varèse, also from V.)

For big jazz bands, the champion of complex time signatures in Don Ellis. Bulgarian Bulge moves along in 33/16 just like a Bulgarian folk tune, apparently (I've not been to Bulgaria to verify this). Much of his music hasn't made it to CD, but his last album, "Live in Montreux", is out on Koch. This one usually sticks to 4/4, but has some amazingly involved subdivisions. Yet it all swings with great joy. Ellis is a genius musician and bandleader who unfortunately has had no successors in this era of jazz conservatism, though Dave Douglas might come closest.

Stan Kenton also has quite a few odd-meter charts, especially those by Hank Levy, who wrote for both the Kenton and Ellis bands.

- Joe

24. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Tattooed Love Boys by The Pretenders. :thumbsup:

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I used to love Don Ellis. I had all of his albums on Columbia and went to see his band play many times here in town.

He's forgotten today I'm sorry to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.