Interesting/famous time signatures

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DanG, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Cool Cool Water is in 9/8

2. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

I still don't get time signatures.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

ooooooooo....good one......7/4, 4/4 ....i think

4. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

Goodness - I forgot "Uncle John's Band" (The Dead)

"I still don't get time signatures."
    You'd get time signatures in a heartbeat if we were face-to-face, but it's a tough thing to describe in print. Anyone want to give it a try?

5. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Yes, try playing those John songs live on an arranger keyboard (where the time signature has to be preset).

No fun at all!!

6. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

But at least we have several of his albums out on CD, which is a far cry from a few years ago, where all we had was Electric Bath and some of the small group albums.

The two live albums on Pacific Jazz are out. Koch has reissued Live in Montreux and Shock Treatment (Columbia #2). Sony and GNF have reissued Electric Bath (Columbia #1). Rumor has it that MPS might be reissuing Soaring in Germany!

People often steer newcomers to Electric Bath (since At Fillmore and Tears of Joy are unavailable), but I think Live at Montreux is as good an introduction as any. I wish I had gotten the chance to hear him in person!

- Joe

7. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member

What about Time Further Out? Brubeck starts from 3/4 and evolves up to 9/8 (?) increasing time signature from track to track. Nevertheless all tracks sound natural.

Nobody mentioned Gentle Giant so far. Many tracks with very complex time signatures. On Reflection is an example.

8. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

A rare case of a big hit far removed from the four-four rock beat is The Stranglers' 'Golden Brown.' It's always wrongly described as a waltz but there's a bar of 4/4 or 5/4 or something (I forget! And I can't check by playing the tune right now!) thrown in at the end of each verse which really 'makes' the song...

9. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

This stuff is great. I guess this was a good reason why I always got along best with drummer's I've known and had a chance to play or jam with.
    Polyrhythems are fun too.

Anyway one of my favorite songs that I have heard rock player's play the song and they never had a clue what they were really playing this one in.

Jimmy Page's Guitar riff on the song "THE OCEAN" Now this is another great reason why I loved Pagey and his inventions as I like to call them the main riff of the song like many of the Zepplin's song including Black Dog and many other's.

THE OCEAN's main riff is in 15/8 then the song goes into a straight 4/4 rock beat and back into 15/8 for the solo and at the end they go into a nice swing rock 4/4 beat to end the song.:thumbsup:

10. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Also I must agree with many of The Beatles songs having the odd time signature in a measure here and there that always makes things interesting.

However I also in mentioning Jimmy Page in my last post I felt after reading all the other posts so far, I felt that if anything I was wrong not to mention that Jimi Hendrix was also great for using the odd time guitar riff and or rhythms in many of his tunes. So thumbs up for my man Jimi also:thumbsup:

11. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Keeping the thread from dying.. :D

Bowie's 'Aladdin Sane' was playing here yesterday and 'Panic in Detroit' caught my attention. Something sounded a bit off, .. Mick Ronson's guitar did sound like he was playing 'straight' however :confused:

12. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street Thread Starter

I remember being struck especially by Rock and Roll Doctor. On their album Hoy Hoy co-writer Fred Martin notes, "Lowell was determined to make 'Rock and Roll Doctor' musically complicated... Lowell used to talk in terms of the cracked mosaic... and I think that song is a prime example of intentional irregularity."

I really like the song, but I could not begin to tell you what is going on with the time signature! :rolleyes:

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

If you want to see time signatures you thought you'd never see, check out the liner notes to a Cecil Taylor recording. The Mosaic box includes notes from bassist Buell Neidlinger, with times I wouldn't think humanly possible: lotsa crooked double-digit numbers in there.

14. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Well, there was a Chicago mention, but nobody specifically mentioned "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?". That part right after the horns come in when Lamm does his little keyboard flourish sure as hell contains some weird time signature changes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.