Interesting Peter G. Up News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lbangs, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member Thread Starter

Up will be distributed via a fairly unique online method, and then will be released in January in both a DVD-A AND an SACD edition.

Now if only I wasn't so disappointed with this album... sigh

More info:

http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news.asp?contentID=210559

I guess that is one way to sidestep the format wars.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I hated the album as well. :(

I expect higher performance from Peter Gabriel, one of my heros.

3. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Many will not like this album, initially; that is if you will give it a chance(at least 3 times). It is a slow grower, but with most people; will EVENTUALLY grow on you. When I first heard Barry Williams, I said to myself, 'I waited 10 years for this?'. Now it has sunk in, and I hum the tune frequently. This is a Gabriel masterpiece, but you just have to give it a chance.

P.S. Some will never like it. And like they always say " You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time":D

4. lbangs

I've heard it several times now, and while I can't say I hate it, like some can, I do still hold that it is very disappointing. Well, sorta. After that long wait, I'm not really sure I expected too much.

More for fans who thought that Us was an undersung masterpiece than for me, who still thinks he hasn't bettered his melting face album.

But as Sly says, different folks, different strokes... :)

Regardless of the quality of the album, I am especially intrigued by the announcement that it will be released in BOTH the DVD-A and SACD formats. Has any other album seen this sort of dual release yet?

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

5. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Can you describe it more fully? I have it on order from CD Universe but haven't heard it yet. I'm a huge fan, though I was pretty underwhelmed by US.

6. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I don't know, to me it sounds like Peter Gabriel. How can anyone be disappointed?

Unless of course, you really don't like Peter Gabriel. :laugh:

Or you expected more than what you knew you were going to get (thanks Lester!)

7. lbangs

I'm just a weird person. I read something like, "I don't know, to me it sounds like Peter Gabriel. How can anyone be disappointed? ", and I just cannot relate to that. Maybe it is because I don't have much money to spend on music, but there is no artist I love that much. Every one has awful albums, and few have great ones. Each artist really has to audition with each new album for my love. It has to be really good to get my dough.

I mean, Dylan and Elvis Costello are my favorite artists, and there are probably over 10 Dylan albums I can't stand, and at least 6 I liked but not enough to keep (I sold them) ! I didn't think the latest Costello was worth my money! I'm poor and picky!

Maybe I'm just a cranky critic, as my friends accuse me of being, so always keep that in mind when I grumble about a new album...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

8. syogusr

syogusr New Member

I liken it more to his 3rd (melting face) album, than others. It is NOT commercial, as 'So' was to a degree. True, there is nothing here like Mercy Street, or maybe even Sledgehammer (Barry Williams is somewhat in that arena), but there is so much else here to grab onto. I am still a long way from really "getting into it", but I know its there, if that makes any sense to you! Or to use another phrase "If you know what I mean"!!!!
    But seriously, give it a chance, I think you will find it a keeper, and that is saying a whole heck of a lot in these days.;)

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Well Bryan Ferry - "Frantic" was released on both MCH SACD and DVD-A in Europe. (In addition a few Telarc titles came out on both SACD and DVD-A).

Regardless, it has been announced that the entire Peter Gabriel catalog is due on SACD and DVD-A - all in stereo though. It appears that "UP" is the only MCH mix in the bunch.

10. Shoes4Industry

Shoes4Industry Senior Member

Is anyone going to order the Classic vinyl of this? Does anyone know what it was sourced from (I assume this is a digital recording...)?

11. tenuous

tenuous New Member

My few cents...

Hated up on first listen, was very dissapointed. Listened again and the music came alive. The thing about PG's music is you have to listen to the lyrics, and then all of a sudden the instrumentation you didnt like makes perfect sense. Wait till late at night, turn off the lights, and give it a listen all the way through. It's worth it.

12. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Even if a multi-zillionaire and could afford to buy any album I wanted, I couldn't relate to this, even with my favorite artists. Every artists has ups (no pun intented) and downs. Especially with an artist thats as experimental as PG. When it works its great. When it doesn't, well....

Its like everything else, taste is subjective.

13. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

If it's anything like the 3rd, I'll be very happy. That's my favorite PG album. Us was my least favorite, followed by So.

14. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I take the comparison of "Up" to the 3rd album to mean that they're both experimental, not necessarily 'the same', if that makes sense.

I've only heard one track from "Up" and it's nothing like anything from the 3rd album (which, FWIW, is also by far my favorite Gabriel album).

I actually liked the track from "Up" that I heard, so I think I'll give the new album a try.

Dan C

15. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Dan: You hit it right on the money:) There might be a little sameness in there, though. IMO, some of it hearkens back to early Genesis days, any other opinions on this?

16. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I'm a huge PG fan, and with one listen, was initially disappointed. That said, I'm going to reserve any "full judgement" until I've had about 8 or 10 listens. Typically, the more I've loved an artist, the longer I need to digest how "good" I think an album is and where it fits in their overall canon.

I did find it extremely moody and "murky" (not in a quality sense, but in a musical/arrangement way). There is some super-heavy percussion in it, a la "3" and "Security," but overall I find it more reminiscent of songs like Love To Be Loved, Only Us, Family & The Fishing Net...maybe a little Milgram's 37 (if there's any common thread with these songs?!?). It's very subtle, with little "force" (meaning it's not like Not One Of Us or Rhythm Of the Heat).

Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.