Interesting Shootout - Rega P3 vs. Technics SL1200Mk5

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Hmmm. Are the dude's microphones that bad? I didn't hear what he was describing most of the time. And is there really a kick drum on a Daft Punk record? I'm puzzled by some of the things said in this video. I did notice more piano harmonics with the Technics but on my speakers, the piano sounded more like a real piano on the Rega. I guess what I'm hearing is that the dynamics were more apparent on the Technics, but the sustain on the piano notes were better on the Rega. In a lot of the cases the Planar 3 sounded better. Timing just seemed better. Slap on $100 subplatter and the noise floor drops on the Planar 3. I think this fixes the biggest flaw with the Rega in this comparison.

I really don't like that he was switching around cartridges for different comparisons. Seems like a flawed comparison overall. Why didn't he just pick a well matched one for each deck and compare that?

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  4. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

Agreed. Some contributors seem quote this guy at every turn and take his word as gospel in all things hifi. Treat with caution and make your own judgements is what I say!

chili555 likes this.
  5. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Don't you just love apples to oranges comparisons.

Wngnt90 likes this.
  6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

He made clear in the description on Youtube that he used the same cart on both. He goofed on inserting the video captions of the carts.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Ian is a great guy and very enthusiastic about vinyl.
    I don't agree with everything he says but I take his opinions seriously.

8. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Seems like a decent guy, but it's like some dude just picking up some ad copy and reading it at you verbatim. I think some decent rips of the gear he's reviewing would add insight.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Seems like a nice guy but I don't take him seriously at all.

JackG likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And a real turntable which didn't have to have a subplatter upgrade, speed controller, belt upgraded, is designed and built to standards which are orders of magnitude higher as regards to precision engineering. Install the cartridge of your choice. Set up carefully, set tracking force, enjoy music.

Daniel Thomas and recstar24 like this.
  11. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

i think he is probably right on the money.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I take his reviews with a grain of salt but I like his enthusiasm.

13. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I honestly can't see the point of the posting that, how are you supposed to make a comparison in terms of how good each sounds via a Youtbue video.

We could have had 5 second clip "The Technics is better", job done.

Surely nobody going to choose any deck based on a video, although you'd what a dem of both to make your own mind up.

tzh21y and JackG like this.
  14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Agreed. At minimum his videos are really polished and professional looking and he just seems like a great guy, I’d love to hang with him in Singapore or tag along on one of his vinyl journeys in Japan! He exudes a lot of warmth and seems to be a very welcoming kind of person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.