Internet Radio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nate, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

Nate Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking to be able to listen to Internet radio via my system. I would like to hear the gamut of options, cheap (iPad app and a cable) to upper end (Magnum a Dynalab).

What are people using to good effect without breaking the bank?

2. kamcma

kamcma New Member

I surveyed the landscape of hardware internet radio players recently, but ultimately decided against any of them because clunky and infrequently-updated software from companies that are historically not competent software companies turns me off. That may not be a deal breaker for other people. I landed on a DAC capable of getting a digital signal from my iOS device (Rotel RDD-06), and use the well-supported first and third party software on that to do streaming.

One hardware solution I thought was promising, because I feel like it would have the best software support over time, is the Sonos Connect, from which you can output a digital signal into any DAC you might already have.

3. Nate

I've considered the Sonos- maybe I should look at it again

4. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

My Samsung Galaxy S4...

5. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

I have one of these and overall it has been a good experience. There was a hardware issue that needed resolution very near the end of its warranty period and after they tried once to fix it and the results were unsatisfactory they replaced the unit completely. I was pleased with that kind of service.

...as to ongoing software issues I can't speak to that.

Good luck with your search!!

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hificomponents/networkaudioplayers/ceolpiccolodtns

6. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Audiophiles have a tendency to come up with overly complicated solutions to satisfy very simple requirements. Not to imply that there's anything wrong with these proposals, but a cheap cable connecting your smartphone to your existing system is really all that's necessary.

7. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

^^^^^agreed when suitable for the application in question - as is likely for the OP.

For me the Denon was a relatively inexpensive solution (with a pair of Monitor Audio BX2's) for a
    completely self-contained music source for a small family room.

[​IMG]

Long Live Analog likes this.
  8. kamcma

kamcma New Member

Maybe, but know that the 1/8" headphone port on your mobile device is not the same thing as a fixed-level line out, and it's a less-than-ideal proxy for one—introduces two volume controls into the chain, potential distortion, etc. Again, as I say, I do like to use my phone for this stuff, but there's a handful of hardware options out there to get the stream out of your phone digitally, feeding it into the rest of the chain 'correctly'. If you don't care about it and want to just do it quick and dirty out of the headphone jack, be my guest. But if someone asks about it on the SH forums ... obviously people are going to offer some mildly more complex solutions.

9. Nate

Ok, so I own a good DAC, what's the best way to get to the digital stream on an apple product using a lightning connector? Is a Pure dock with lightning adapter the way to go?

10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Whats wrong with optical out ?

11. kamcma

kamcma New Member

The problem is getting digital audio out of an iOS device requires being a "Made for iPhone/iPad" product which involves the manufacturer paying Apple a small fee for the rights and technical schematics. Only a handful of manufacturers do that. Some of Rotel's products have the right USB type-A port, I think I've seen some Marantzes that do. Maybe some Sonys. Some tiny portable DACs can with the Lightning USB adapter, such as the HRT microStreamer, but that's just by being a class-compliant audio device, not an MFi device, so they won't charge your iOS devices while you use them. Myro makes a hifi AirPlay DAC. If you're going the AirPlay route, you make think of the AirPort Express or Apple TV because they're cheaper, but those forcibly resample your audio to 44.1 and 48, respectively, which you may not want—I don't. Some iOS device docks, including first party, will give you fixed-level line out, but analog, not digital, which, let's face it, for internet radio is probably enough.

So, anyway, not the easiest path, I know, but to me it's the most appealing option. YMMV

12. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

A Nuforce Icon iDo is what you're after. They're out of production now, but you can still find them if you look.

13. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I would. I have a Play 5 and love the selection on it. Internet, Pandora, my music library, Spotify, Soundcloud, and many others.

The Connect can go straight into your current system (digital or analog): http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

14. Quiet Earth

Quiet Earth Forum Resident

I use a Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 for Internet radio. It's kind of expensive just for the Internet radio feature, but that's all I really use it for. I use the single ended analog line outs rather than send the digital signal to another DAC. It sounds very good to me. (Considering what it is.)

Right now my favorite station is Somehow Jazz which is usually broadcast at around 192kb. I love the Internet radio......it's all about the programming for me. I can't listen to my local FM stations for more than about twenty minutes. Too much talking and not enough music.

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Tune-in radio app for iOS. Install on your iPad and go. Apple TV thereafter and it has a (poor) scrolling radio function. The iPad via the ATV will let you stream out if the amp will take it.

16. Honestly, I thought my Sonos streaming Rdio sounded a lot better... A LOT BETTER... than streaming Rdio, Tidal, Spotify or Deezer from my laptop going thru the DAC in my CD player. I need to investigate since that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense since I think the DAC in my CD player should be a lot better. Point is, I think Sonos sounds pretty good. There's also a mod you can get to make it a bit better, or so I've heard.

17. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Logitech Squeezebox Touch or Squeezebox Classic (SB3).

The best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.