Interstellar - Christopher Nolan

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I find his movies so far quite daring and ambitious, which seem unique characteristics in the 'remake-happy' Hollywood these days. Sometimes Nolan overreaches a bit (the last Batman-movie), but I'm interested in this!

carrick doone likes this.
  2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I think Inception was dumbed down a bit for mass audience appeal, but I still loved it. I think it does what the best action movies tend to do, and that's elevate the action with great story and characters. That's something that I think a lot of movies miss nowadays (looking' at you, JJ Abrahams / Zach Snyder). Action is more intense when there are real stakes involved.

kevintomb, In-Absentia and Vidiot like this.
  3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I need to sit down and watch Inception again at some point, I've seen it twice but I'm willing to give it another shot. I was just disappointed by the direction it took because I think it could have been so much more.

4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I can agree with that. I know of several people who fell asleep in the movie theater. To each their own. But I think its' issues also say a lot about Nolan as a filmmaker, in that at the end of the day he's still a very Hollywood director. He has great stories and characters of depth, and knows that emotional connection to these things is what takes a movie to the next level. But he still infuses his movies with a Hollywood gloss, rather then delve head first into artistic ambition. I think it's great that he can balance these things well (I think The Dark Knight the best example of this), but I wished that he'd lean more toward his ambition than catering to appease studio demands. I'm really hoping that Interstellar is a step in that direction.

5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Maybe the villain will mumble all his dialog while wearing a jock protector cup over his mouth in this film too.

6. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I wish Man of Steel had used repurposed music from damn near anywhere else. That 2013 Hans Zimmer score sucked beyond anyone's worst nightmare.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Because Hans Zimmer gets paid a lot of money?

Made $817M worldwide and was on something like 40 critics "10 Best of 2010" lists. 86% positive critical rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm not saying this necessarily makes it a good movie, but there's clearly a lot of people who liked it, including the major critics. At least it was a non-sequel, not made from a comic book, an original idea we haven't seen before (although you can argue it's a Mission:Impossible con inside of Dreamscape, which is how a few film fans described it).

Yep.

Good example, and I think that's exactly the reason that piece of music was used. I think the filmmakers are trying to evoke something profound and interesting, rather than just a giant lizard on the loose in downtown San Francisco. 2001 was a lot of things, but it wasn't predictable and it wasn't silly. Those scenes were scary as hell and intense in 1968, at least in my childhood memories.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Dan C likes this.
  8. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I grew to love Inception, after being lukewarm on first viewing, therefore count me in on this new one.

9. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I loved most of his movies that I have seen so I might be kind of a fan. I first read about this movie back in 2008 when it was in the hands of Spielberg and was a bit curious even then. The plot seems to be that scientists have discovered an actual wormhole and an expedition is taking place. It might be great or absolutely crap.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Loved his Inception. Even bought the Warner Bros deluxe Blu-ray version of the movie which comes in a metal suitcase me has one of those metal spinners.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Did it eventually stop, or does it keep on spinning?

ggergm and Simon A like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nolan's Batman's are a snooze fest. Funnily enough not Inception, or the fabulous Bowie cameo in Prestige.:)

13. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I don't know but I'm in. Christopher Nolan's work is always interesting to me.

14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

As much as the Dark Knight movies? That's impressive for that film. I went to it for the premise and the ideas in the movie and that it was Christopher Nolan. Maybe many people did.

15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Nolan fans online have already declared this the greatest science fiction film ever made. Apparently it is better than 2001 A Space Odyssey in portrayal of space travel. I really wish I could get a hold of some of the Nolan Kool Aid that so many people seem to have swallowed. I do hope this is not only the greatest scifi film of all time but the greatest piece of art ever created by man so no critics give it a bad rating and have their families threatened again.

mikeyt likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

DAMN, this looks good!

I'm totally in the mood for this kind of thing, after being jazzed by Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos for the last few months. That's a great show, though it hasn't done stellar (ahem) in the ratings. I think Nolan's trailer at least gives us a few glimmers as to where the movie could go, despite having echoes of Contact and a few other movies.

Much too early to say. We'll know in November.

17. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

For me the first 'must-see' movie this year!

18. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Can't wait.

19. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The Prestige was a music hall mental - confection, somewhat enjoyable in passing.
    Though I was apprehensive at the promoted 'complexity' of the Inception plot, I found I was never losing track of its mental layers. Some say it had 4....I was happily down into a 5th layer.
    At last, like Malick's Tree of Life...we had a film for intelligent minds to have an 'exercise stretch' for a change, instead of the cinematic swill offer, we tend to see offered every week to clog our brain cells . The last '12 after-life minutes' of Tree of Life .... once coupled and connected to the Kier Dullea's big mental space trip in Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odessey..... gives that "2001 S O " sequence -a new and totally clearer meaning .

20. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

But is not Zimmer noted.... for having other far lesser known composers working under him, 'providing factory line music material by the yard' so to speak, in what one would then imagine calling, a form of business franchise?

21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I found The Following and Insomnia to just be boring. Memento, The Prestige and Inception would have been good or even great in the hands of someone like David Lynch. Batman Begins is pretty good, the Dark Knight is the most overrated thing ever created and The Dark Knight Rises is the single dumbest movie ever made. I will still give this a change but my expectations are low. Nolan will be aiming for 2001 A Space Odyssey greatness but I have a feeling we are going to end up getting Prometheus drivel.

22. Actually in Lynch's hands all of Nolan's work would've a pretentious mess. And I like Lynch. Nolan's films I. Nolan's hands work just fine for me.

Collector Man likes this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This.

24. Now we know there is a spaceship and what prompts the voyage is starvation on a massive scale.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.