Intervention Records Hybrid SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Blair G. likes this.
  2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

As soon as the Gene Clark is released I’m ordering it along with Billy and Murray, makes more sense for me shipping wise to order them all at once, direct from the label

bruce2 likes this.
  3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

No one is wasting their time, enjoying the music, regardless of whether this music is on some list or not.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Forum Resident

Has anybody that ordered the Billy Squier SACD from Amazon received their copy yet?

5. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I cancelled mine and ordered from importcds instead, cheaper and arrived in one week. I don't do SACD but the cd layer is superb.

toilet_doctor and George P like this.
  6. Steve Simm

Thanks. I guess it is time for me to do the same.

7. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Steve Simm likes this.
  8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Yup there were two listings. One that went up real early and never actually shipped and the new one that is in stock and could even be delivered to me today if I didn't already have it.

Steve Simm likes this.
  9. Steve Simm

I didn’t realize there were 2 listings. Just ordered and should get Thursday. Thanks!!

10. maybe IR can continue the Spirit releases that AF was doing. :)

Crimson Witch, art, Dok and 2 others like this.
  11. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

This is what I was hoping, given Kevin Gray is already doing some sterling work for them.

12. If , and I realize this is a Big if the Gene a lark release sells in large numbers, is it possible that IR might pursue other Clark titles? What I really like about IR is that they go after both big sellers and smaller ones as well.

13. toilet_doctor

IR (Lost)90's Series

The series continues with 3 more albums of Matthew Sweet

Sep. 29, 2017
    Matthew Sweet 100% Fun + 7 (Expended Edition)

Oct.19, 2017
    Matthew Sweet Altered Beast + 6 (Expended Edition)

Nov. 16, 2017
    Matthew Sweet Girlfriend + 3 (Expended Edition)

100% Fun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"1995's 100% Fun is the third leg of Matthew Sweet's Holy Trinity of Power Pop! Produced by Brendan O'Brien, it's a densely-layered production full of grinding guitars, heavy bass lines and BIG drum sounds.
    Intervention's 19-track Expanded Edition SACD set is the defining presentation of this great album conically and in all other respects
    !"
    • Original Release Date: 1995
    • Original Label: Zoo Entertainment
    • Artist-Approved Expanded Edition
    • 7 Bonus Tracks Not Included On Original Release!
    • Mastered Direct-to-DSD FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOG MASTER TAPES!
    • Mastered by Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound
    • Super Jewel Box Packaging
    • Format: Hybrid CD/SACD
    • IR Catalog: IR-SCD11
    • UPC: 707129301628
    Mastering Notes:
    "100% Fun is Direcct-to-DSD Mastered from the Original Master Tapes by Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound. The Master Tapes are 30ips 1/2" analog reels, and the seven bonus tracks are on their own reel. Intervention's cut is big, punchy and dynamic with plenty of producer Brendan O'Brien signature crunch completely intact. Matthew's amazing vocals really shine here amid the layered densities of O'Brien's mix. A big, bold improvement over the 1990s original LP, and so much better than the CD as to make that comparison a total farce."

Review
    "While Intervention often handles a wide variety of genres and eras, they’re readying another set of ‘90s classics to be rolled out over the next few months with their re-release of four Matthew Sweet albums: Girlfriend (1991), Altered Beast (1993) and 100% Fun (1995). These reissues have all been approved by Sweet himself, are presented in Hybrid SACD format.

The first reissue out of the gate is 100% Fun, Sweet’s highest charting album that is best known for its lead-off single “Sick of Myself” (which peaked at #2, also giving Sweet his highest chart performance for a single). Produced by Brendan O’Brien and originally released on vinyl on February 28, 1995 (with the CD version coming out a couple weeks later), 100% Fun featured Sweet at the top of his power pop game. Eschewing the dour, angst-fueled vibes of the second-wave commercialized alt-rock copycats that saturated mid-‘90s radio, Sweet’s nuanced melodic range and sugary pop hooks helped set him apart from the majority of what was categorized as alternative music at the time. The insanely catchy “Sick of Myself” made a huge impact on radio and MTV and Sweet rounded out a busy 1995 with a nice trio of soundtrack appearances (National Lampoon’s Senior Trip, Ace Venture: When Nature Calls, and The Babysitter’s Club) and a memorable slot on the Saturday Morning: Cartoon’s Greatest Hits compilation with his perfectly paired “Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?” cover.
    On top of the superb audio and visual aspects of this 100% Fun reissue
    [speaking of vinyl], Sweet has also included seven outtake bonus tracks that were a part of the original 100% Fun master tapes. Some of them have found their way onto previous releases (“Sense of Adventure” and “Slowly” were bonus tracks on the Japanese import CD, “Never Said Goodbye” was the b-side to the “Sick of Myself” CD/cassette single, “You” was the fourth song on the “We’re The Same” 4-track CD single) and some of them have never been released at all. Either way, all seven tracks are presented in this setting on vinyl for the first time and make up the entirety of the second vinyl disc." (Will Hodge)

Bonus Tracks:
    “Sense of Adventure”
    “Slowly”
    “Breaks My Heart”
    “Walk Out” (Alternate Mix)
    “Never Said Goodbye”
    “You”
    “Our Song”

Sick of Myself
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ROABjhzocg

Lost My Mind

Matthew Sweet - Walk out

Super Baby

Altered Beast

[​IMG]

"SACD pressing. Digitally remastered and expanded edition. Intervention's mastering opens up the sound stage and for the very first time presenting this amazing recording will full bass extension and dynamic power! The result is the best-sounding Altered Beast that's ever been or ever will be! This is simply a fabulous-sounding rock recording that's big, bold and super fun to listen to. The middle entry in Matthew Sweet's holy '90s power pop trilogy, Altered Beast is a sprawling, multi-dimensional power-pop trip finally presented at its artistic fullest. Sweet was a songwriting machine in this period, and in doing source research a third analog master reel with 6 extra tracks was discovered. Intervention's expanded SACD is a 21-track Beast that shows a master songwriter at his prolific best. While many of these extra tracks were used as b-sides on CD singles and saw release on other compilations, Intervention's Expanded Edition places these songs in the context they belong, with the album for which they were recorded. Hearing the quality of tracks like 'Superdeformed' one wonders how Altered Beast wasn't originally a bigger CD set! 'Altered Beast is a brilliant, ambitious creation..."
    UPC: 680270758032

Review
    "Matthew Sweet follows up Girlfriend by getting the same band back together and making an even better album. This is Sweet's best record. Don't believe me? Check it out. While there's not a track here that quite reaches the bliss of the song Girlfriend...some come very close. And there's so many of them. After you get thru the solid opener, Dinosaur Act, the great songs start rolling. Devil with the Green Eyes, The Ugly Truth (which in "Hey Hey, My My" fashion appears in both acoustic and rock versions) Time Capsule.
    When Sweet and the band downshift into the slow songs, the record shines. The harmonies shimmer and heartbreaking hooks abound in songs like Reaching Out, Life Without You, and Do It Again. The album closes with another breathtaking song, Evergreen. This is a guitar album and whether the songs rock or wind into the slower tempos, Robert Quine and Richard Lloyd (and Sweet himself) lead the way with stellar electric and acoustic playing throughout. Truth be told the entire band is great--Menck on drums and multi-instrumentalist Greg Liesz do themselves proud, too.
    For my money, this is Sweet's best record. Girlfriend gets the publicity, and it's a great record, too. But if I could own only one Matthew Sweet album...this would be it. (...the song Girlfriend is still Sweet's best song.)
    "

Matthew Sweet - Time Capsule

Matthew Sweet - The Ugly Truth

Do It Again

Girlfriend

[​IMG]

"15 of the 18 tracks on this Expanded Edition are mastered Direct-to-DSD from the Original Master Tapes by Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound. The last three tracks are Matthew Sweet's own demo DAT recordings and therefore mastered to DSD from digital files from the DAT masters. Intervention's amazing new Girlfriend is presented with maximum bass and dynamics. There are big, fat guitar tones and controlled but very expressive bass and a massive soundstage. Girlfriend is not only a 90's classic but an amazingly pure and simply tremendous rock recording!"

Review
    "Matthew Sweet's third album is a remarkable artistic breakthrough., which melds all of Sweet's influences into one majestic, wrenching sound that encompasses both the gentle country-rock of "Winona" and the winding guitars of the title track and "Divine Intervention." Sweet's music might have recognizable roots, but Girlfriend never sounds derivative; thanks to his exceptional songwriting, the album is a fresh, original interpretation of a classic sound." (Stephen Erlewine)
    UPC: 680270758032

Divine Intervention (Live)
    Matthew Sweet & John Hiatt - Divine Intervention VH1.mp4

Matthew Sweet - "Winona" (Live at WFUV)

Matthew Sweet - Does She Talk?

Thought I Knew You
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMxRzGLERx8

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

Matthew Sweet - Don't Go

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  14. toilet_doctor

15. The Murray Head SACD from IR is down to $20 on Amazon.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  16. toilet_doctor

I remember when I ordered mine on a release date, first print was already gone. Now they probably overstock.
    There is no warranty that it will happen again... Everything depends on the demand and their stock.

17. Shane of IR explained how Amazon is increasing fees for slow selling items through its FBA (fulfilled by Amazon) program. That is apparently what motivated the price drop on Amazon.

jhm and toilet_doctor like this.
  18. toilet_doctor

Amazon Selling Experience

I will never sell on Amazon again.

I sold the book on the Amazon for $4, and the buyer paid also for the shipping - $3.98;
    Amazon charged a sale fee - $4.05 - more than the cost of the book;
    Then they cut 5 cents from the cost of shipping and reimbursed me $3.93 for shipping and said: "This is what you earned."

This is not a toilet_doctor's Halloween story, I swear.
    The greed of the Amazon has no limits.

Shane should consider selling on eBay.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I had assumed that Kevin Gray would be mastering all of the IR SACDs. Looks like Ryan K Smith did the Matthew Sweet ones.

Crimson Witch and Joti Cover like this.
  20. I'm looking forward to the Matthew Sweet SACD's. Preordered all of mine through IR--that way Shane gets more money without Amazon cutting into it. Support smaller labels!!

21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Shane also mentioned on the IR Records thread that for a $40 LP, Amazon's cut is like $12.98. It's insane! Needless to say, although it won't be your cheapest option, IR Records gets a much bigger cut of the purchase if you buy directly from them. In fact, he also stated that building his direct sales will be a big part of his furture business viability.

Joti Cover and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. toilet_doctor

It's probably the time to put them all together:

IR Hybrid SACD

Jul. 22, 2016
    Stealers Wheel S/T

Nov.03, 2017
    The Flying Burrito Brothers Gilded Palace of Sin

Dec. 01, 2017
    Murray Head Nigel Lived
    Billy Squire Don't Say No

Sep. 29, 2017
    Matthew Sweet 100% Fun + 7 (Expended Ed.)

Oct.19, 2017
    Matthew Sweet Altered Beast + 6 (Expended Ed.)

Nov. 16, 2017
    Matthew Sweet Girlfriend + 3 (Expended Ed.)

23. toilet_doctor

Shane said that Kevin Gray is his #1 mastering engineer, while Ryan Smith is his #2 or Plan B something for east cost:
    "Kevin [Gray at Coherent Audio] does everything I can get to the west coast. If tapes won't be released from the east coast, as is the case with Sony, I'll cut with Ryan Smith at Sterling. I wouldn't rule out in the future that I might even travel abroad to cut titles if they won't send tapes to the States."

24. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Don't forget
    Gene Clark White Light
    (IR-SCD9)

... or the upcoming ...

The Flying Burrito Bros. Burrito Deluxe
    (IR-SCD8)

I also made some edits to your list, in the above quote, mostly adding the catalog numbers. Thanks for getting this started!

Craig.

25. toilet_doctor

Thank you for correction. Don't know, how I missed Gene Clark (Post #222)... and sure, new title: