Intervention Records Hybrid SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Dec 16, 2016.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

IR The (Re)Discover Series

TBA

The Flying Burrito Bros. Burrito Deluxe

[​IMG]

"Intervention Records is thrilled to present The Flying Burrito Bros.' classic 1970 sophomore effort Burrito Deluxe on beautiful-sounding hybrid CD/SACD.
    Burrito Deluxe is the second and final hot Burrito made while the band was still led by former Byrds member Gram Parsons. The Flying Burrito Bros. are widely viewed as the inventors of country rock and are one of the most influential bands of all time. Burrito Deluxe is another classic full of great tunes written and sung by Parsons and Hillman.
    The original LP art is restored by IR's Tom Vadakan and housed in a super jewel box
    ."

· Original Release Date: 1970
    · Original Label: A&M Records
    · Mastered Direct-to-DSD from OMT!
    · Mastered by Kevin Gray at CoHEARent Audio
    · Super Jewel Box Packaging
    · Format: Hybrid CD/SACD
    · IR Catalog: IR-SCD8
    · UPC: 707129301512

Mastering Notes
    "Burrito Deluxe is mastered Direct-to-DSD from analog tape by Kevin Gray at CoHEARent Audio from the best source available- a phenomenal sounding 1/2" safety copy of the original stereo master tape. Intervention's CD/SACD preserves all the top-end energy and “snap” of the original A&M LP, while the bass foundation is fully restored to make this new Intervention reissue the definitive listening experience for this classic!"

Light Folk Rock and R'n'R you might surprisingly like again with 'Wild Horses' in the end:

Lazy Days (Live)
    Lazy Days - Lazy days (Flying burrito brothers)

Flying Burrito Bros.-"High Fashion Queen" from "Burrito Deluxe"

Man In The Fog

If You Gotta Go

The Flying Burrito Brothers "Farther Along"

LoveandTheft and PhantomStranger like this.
  2. toilet_doctor

- edit -

IR Hybrid SACD

Jul. 22, 2016
    Stealers Wheel S/T

Nov.03, 2017
    The Flying Burrito Brothers Gilded Palace of Sin

Dec. 01, 2017
    Murray Head Nigel Lived
    Billy Squire Don't Say No

June 20, 2018
    Gene Clark White Light

Sep. 29, 2018
    Matthew Sweet 100% Fun + 7 (Expended Ed.)

Oct.19, 2018
    Matthew Sweet Altered Beast + 6 (Expended Ed.)

Nov. 16, 2018
    Matthew Sweet Girlfriend + 3 (Expended Ed.)

TBA
    The Flying Burrito Bros. Burrito Deluxe

Dok and George P like this.
  3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Hadn't heard Nigel Lived. Terrific sonics. What a great album!

4. I'll speak up for Stealers Wheel. It's a very solid SACD in terms of micro-detail and soundstage presentation. Probably the best you are ever going to squeeze out of that recording from the early 1970s.

I wish it had sold better for Shane to have released their latter albums on SACD.

5. toilet_doctor

I missed it in the '70s, but happy that I got it now. It is kind of music that you can get in deeper with each listening, and I do.

Jarleboy and jh901 like this.
  6. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Same here. I really like the next album after that one. And I didn't buy this one because of the packaging. Re-do it in a super jewel case and I'll pick one up.

7. The packaging concerns on IR's first SACD issue are overblown.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I don't have any Intervention SACDs. But if one of the titles sparked my interest the quality of the packaging would not be a concern. The last run of Audio Fidelity SACDs had what I consider to be cheap jewel cases. But that never stopped me from buying quite a few of them and so glad I did! It's all about the music and the SQ not the packaging IMO.

D.B. and Jarleboy like this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

That's definitely not going to happen. The masses spoke and Shane switched to Super Jewel Cases after this release (and all moving forward have had SJCs). If you care about the music, as @PhantomStranger has noted, the disc didn't sell well so once the inital run sells out, that'll be it. Also, it looks like it's only $20 on Amazon U.S. now, so it's priced to move as well.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If someone spends their hard earned cash and gets product that looks "used" due to the packaging they have a right to express displeasure IMO. The disc does sound excellent however.

Saw a post over at IMWAN that Intervention had a flood at their office resulting in damaged stock. Hopefully this will all work out for Shane and company, very sad news.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Shane may have lost all of his IR inventory in that fire and subsequent flood.:shake:

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

His inventory with Amazon should be fine, as 3rd party sellers who are fulfilled by Amazon have their stock stored at an amazon fulfillment center.

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yes, but he keeps his inventory with Amazon very limited, due to recurring stocking fees. So anything currently available from IR via Amazon probably won't last very long.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just a heads up - 100% Fun by Matthew Sweet in stock at Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc. Considering Intervention's situation where his office was flooded, I would have preferred to order direct, instead I ordered from Elusive Disc.

15. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Did anyone manage to order 100% Fun from Target.com before than ran out of them? I signed up to be notified when stock has returned.

16. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Just got my shipping notice on the first of the Matthew Sweet subscriptions, 100% Fun.
    October & November are going to be expensive & exciting.

17. David Cunningham

David Cunningham Forum Resident

Are the other two Matthew Sweet SACDs getting close to being released? I've pre-ordered the full set from IR. I love 100% but am sooooo eager to hear "Girlfriend".

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm very excited about the Joan Armatrading SACD release and I'll probably end up ordering the Matthew Sweet Girlfried SACD also. So far I've only gotten the Gene Clark White Light and have thoroughly enjoyed that.

19. toilet_doctor

- new title -

IR The (Re)Discover Series

[​IMG]

April 5, 2019

Joan Armatrading S/T

• Hybrid SACD
    • Original Release Date: 1976
    • Original Label: A&M Records
    • Mastered Direct-to-DSD from Analog Tapes
    • Mastered By Kevin Gray At CoHEARent Audio
    • Super Jewel Box Packaging
    • IR Catalog: IR-SCD5
    • UPC: 707129301475
    [​IMG]

"Intervention Records is absolutely thrilled to introduce another classic record in it's (Re)Discover Series, Joan Armatrading. Produced and recorded by legend Glyn Johns, Joan Armatrading is the breakout record that saw Joan assume full command of her extraordinary talents and leap to the forefront of rock's great female stars. A soulful, soaring voice and a powerful and evocative songwriter. The smash hits include 'Love and Affection,' 'Down to Zero,' and 'Somebody Who Loves You.' Joan Armatrading's 180-gram LP is 100% Analog Mastered by Kevin Gray at CoHEARent Audio from the best source available- phenomenal-sounding 1/2' safety copy of the original stereo master tape. The remastering is amazing! Thanks to Glyn Johns' recording and production work, Joan's vocals and guitar playing have never sounded so rich, resonant and dynamic. This is an audiophile demo disc all the way. Gray mastered the hybrid CD/SACD Direct-to-DSD from analog tape, using the same mastering as the amazing-sounding LP."

[​IMG]

Joan Armatrading

"Joan is the complete artist, no-one else comes close, she
    has written so much more than has been mentioned here
    try 'Save me', 'The Shouting Stage' many more - too numerous
    to mention. Look at the body of work written over 30 years,
    then you'll get an understanding of just how great she was -

and still is."
    (comment)

"Singer and composer Joan Armatrading, best known for her influential and eclectic music styles, ranging from rock, soul, pop, and even reggae, was born on December 9, 1950 in Basseterre in St. Kitts and Nevis. She lived there for seven years until her and her family relocated to Birmingham, England.

Armatrading began writing music when she was a child. When her family purchased its first piano, she started to put her writing to music. She also taught herself to play the piano and guitar. Inspired by a TV appearance of Marianne Faithful at the age of fourteen, Armatrading began playing with a band in Birmingham area clubs.

At the age of eighteen Armatrading got the lead role in the London production of Hair. This allowed her and fellow cast member Pam Nestor, to sign with Cube Records. In 1972 Joan and Pam released the album Whatever’s for Us. Armatrading eventually became a solo act and signed with A&M Records where she recorded her first U.K. Top Ten hit , the song, “Love and Affection.”

Armatrading's music never developed a comparable following in the United States. Throughout the 1970s she unsuccessfully searched for the right combination of backup artists and record labels that would promote her success. Her albums, Me, Myself and I, Walk Under Ladders and The Key, all produced by Richard Gottehrer, did well in Great Britain but not generate much success in the U.S.

Armatrading never embraced the R&B style performed by most U.S. black artists at the time and most popular among American music consumers. Ironically her music was considered “white” even though she was black. This mix of “black” to “white” did not work as well with American audiences as it had with British music lovers. Ironically when American artist Tracy Chapman became popular in the late 1980s, she was called the “new Joan Armatrading.”

Interest in Chapman led to greater publicity in the U.S. for Armatrading's music than in the 1970s. Joan Armatrading's story illustrated both the possibilities and limitations that existed outside the established ‘mold’ for black artists. Her work ultimately help break down the racial barriers of “white” and “black” music."
    (Bayrlay Ryan, University of Washington)

Tall In The Saddle

Like Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VswSw_nQyTU

Joan Armatrading - Help Yourself

Joan Armatrading - Down to Zero

Joan Armatrading - Love And Affection

What I can say: cannot wait to try it in my system...

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

An update from the other thread, the remaining 2 Matthew Sweets, Joan Armatrading and Burrito Deluxe SACDs have been officially cancelled.

New Record Label: Intervention Records

[Moderator note: Added strike-through as Burrito Deluxe SACD is not officially canceled]

21. mwheelerk

My heart is broken over the Joan Armatrading

22. George P

George P Notable Member

From the other IR thread:

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Right there with you!

24. I'll be heartbroken if we don't get Burrito Deluxe.

25. mwheelerk

I think others have mentioned and I'm the same in that I never do pre-orders. If there is something I really want I keep a close look out for the actual release and then jump on it. I did not realize that preorders might set the tone if something is or is not released. I wonder if this is the case with MFSL where things are announced and either don't show or don't show for a long time in that they are waiting for a certain pre-order count possibly to cover their production costs.

MartinR, toilet_doctor and ispace like this.