Intervention Records Hybrid SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Don't wait until then. Need shipping updates!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  2. ROTFLMA OFF! :biglaugh:

3. George P

George P Notable Member

So, how is the sound on the Intervention Records Stealer's Wheel S/T SACD?

4. It's decent but not spectacular. Didn't use DSD. Went the PCM route in mastering. A missed opportunity. Well that and the sandpaper treatment that was used to give the disc a horribly scratched look, of which the label did nothing to remedy. Just sayin'.

George P likes this.
  5. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

So the replacement disc was also scratched?

6. Mine wasn't scratched. While DSD would have been a choice, I think it sounds pretty darn good.

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I think it sounds excellent.

8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I realize that Intervention Records focus is on vinyl, but I will and have ordered all(2) of their titles on SACD.
    If the money is there please do dual vinyl\SACD releases.
    Would love Stealer's Wheel 2nd album and the Joe Jackson's on SACD, I have the original vinyl on those as well and a couple of JJ 12" 45s from back in the day.
    BTW, Shane, we have a mutual friend in Kris D.
    I met you at his house a few years ago.
    Don't expect you to remember me, I already knew of you by your work in print.
    Just want to say I really respect what you're doing and know that you will deliver the highest quality product possible.
    The Gilded Palace of Sin has been a favorite of mine for too many years to count and yes I do have the original vinyl ;)
    That your company is doing it justice is quite astonishing.
    Keep up the fine work.

Jarleboy and Joti Cover like this.
  9. It was but not as bad as the first. I had to pay shipping cost to return the defective disc to MD.

10. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

That is not okay for a product like this.

11. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I would like to compare the SACD to the Japanese SHM-CD I have. If anyone in Vancouver has the SACD, let's have a listen?

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You have the better deal, great sound and first rate packaging. I am hoping they do the second album in Japan.

13. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Happy to announce: We are moving on!

New SACD release from IR moved in a different direction:

Nov.03, 2017

The Flying Burrito Brothers Gilded Palace of Sin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Intervention Records Premium Reissue Features: Hybrid Dual-Layer CD/SACD Disc, Compatible with all CD and SACD Players • Mastered From Real Analog Tapes by Kevin Gray At Cohearent Audio • Super Jewel Box Packaging- Is this the album that made country cool? Former Byrds Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman picked up where they left off with Sweetheart of the Rodeo with this stunning masterpiece of a debut album by The Flying Burrito Bros. While Parsons had already pushed rock in a country direction during his brief stint with The Byrds and The International Submarine Band, The Gilded Palace of Sin is why the Burritos are widely viewed as the inventors of country rock. Indeed with this album, Hillman and Parsons carved a substantial place in music history as one of the most influential albums and bands of all time."

LP version was released in July and has favorable reviews on a new Kevin Gray's remastering:
    5* ”I still have my original copy of A&M's initial pressing of the Burritos' epochal debut album, purchased the week it was released when I recognized Chris Hillman and then identified Gram Parsons. (I was and am a lifelong Byrds fan, and had fallen for Sweetheart of the Rodeo, the project that brought Parsons briefly into the fold.) That copy is still in excellent shape -- what vinyl nerds would easily term VG+ as far as the disc goes -- but this meticulous AAA re-mastering blows away the original. The bass, overdriven during the original sessions, is more tightly focused without losing its visceral punch, and the doubled vocals likewise prove much clearer and crisper, while Sneaky Pete (Kleinow's) pedal steel sounds glorious. That the album itself remains near perfect in the caliber of the song, with even its tongue-in-cheek side closers, "My Uncle" and "Hippie Boy," proving to be more than countercultural punchlines, only underscores the triumph. Kevin Gray's mastering justifies the new Intervention label's aspiration to the front ranks of audiophile reissue labels. Worth its admittedly bespoke price." (July 11, 2917)

"In 1969 BOB DYLAN handed me this album and said ''here, listen to this, you may listen to it more than once''.... (comment)

The album (SACD version) available at importcds.com for pre-holiday price of $23
    The Flying Burrito Brothers Gilded Palace Of Sin on ImportCDs
    Limited hybrid SACD pressing mastered from the original master tapes. The Gilded Palace of Sin is the first album by the country rock group The Flying Burrito Brothers, released in 1969. It continued Gram Parsons' and Chris Hillman's work in modern country music, fusing traditional sources like folk and country with other forms of popular music like gospel, soul, and psychedelic rock. The Gilded Palace of Sin is listed at number 192 in Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  14. One step closer to seeing Gram Parsons' entire output on SACD.:) The International Submarine Band is calling...

15. toilet_doctor

When I said: We are moving on, I mean it:
    From the voice of Judas Iscariot ('Jesus Star Superstar').

Dec. 01, 2017

Murray Head Nigel Lived

45th Anniversary Edition of Murray Head's
    Groundbreaking 1972 Classic!

"Limited Hybrid SACD pressing. Digitally remastered audiophile edition. Murray Head's Nigel Lived is a groundbreaking classic and one of the boldest, most daring and inventive albums of all time. Recorded by the great recording engineer Phill Brown, Nigel Lived is from the golden era of all-analog recording, a sonic and musical masterpiece that every music lover and audiophile simply must have. In Spring of 1972 Murray Head was just 25, coming off amazing success on the stage and screen, when he recorded his debut album, Nigel Lived. And Nigel isn't just any album, it's an ambitious, experimental album full of great songs that required stunningly diverse recording techniques and instrumentation on every track. There are beautiful acoustic works that draw a straight line to Murray's later albums like 'Ruthie' and 'When You Wake Up In The Morning,' there are straight-up rockers and amazingly innovative tracks like 'Religion' and the sprawling 'Junk.' Nigel's story arc unfolds as a three-act play in which Nigel leaves a small town for the big city, finds love and success before crashing into addiction and despair. The background locations, characters and scenes change sonically throughout as Nigel was a adventurous & pioneering effort in blending studio recording with an incredible array of location recordings captured all over London's West End. In the same way that films today operate on the 'found footage' motif, Murray's ahead-of-it's-time conceptual treatment for Nigel consisted of hand writing a 'diary' for Nigel that was then 'found' by Murray, who put Nigel's life to song. It's a brilliant narrative tool that allowed Murray to weave aspects of his own rich experiences in the whirlwind of late 60s London into the songs. Murray saw great success, making a splash on stage in Hair and on-screen in films like The Family Way and John Schlesinger's avant-garde Sunday Bloody Sunday. And he saw the depths working in a drug-addiction clinic and watching friends disappear into and eventually succumb to heroin."

Mastering Notes:
    "This reissue would not have been possible without the overwhelming generosity of Phill Brown, who introduced us to Murray and supplied the master tapes. Thanks Phill!
    Nigel Lived on CD/SACD was mastered from recording engineer Phill Brown's 1/4" 15-ips analog tapes from 1972. Phill was gracious enough to let Intervention and CoHEARent Audio's Kevin Gray cut directly from these beautiful-sounding tapes to DSD. As THE master tapes can no longer be found in Sony's vaults in the US or the UK (Sony bought CBS and its assets), Phill's 1972 tapes are the de facto Original Master Tapes.
    The sound quality on these tapes is a revelation, with deep but tuneful bass, sweet highs, gorgeous vocals and VERY WIDE dynamics! Murray and the musicians put so many fascinating sounds and textures down, and the tapes are simply stunning
    !"

The Hybrid SACD will be housed in a super jewel box. (The same is with The Flying Burrito Brothers SACD)

Nigel Lived is Rock/Crossover album

[​IMG]

Review
    5* "This is a sterling debut album from vocalist Murray Head, who sang the role of Judas Iscariot in the hit rock opera JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR. Originally released in 1972, " NIGEL LIVED" is a concept album made of 14 tracks of well written songs performed by a barrage of talented musicians utilizing dozens of instruments and augmented with natural sounds (chirping birds, crowd noises, trains, etc.). All of which create a platform highlighting Murray's unique and fantastic vocals. Although "NIGEL LIVED" borrows elements from SUPERSTAR, I wouldn't call it a rock album. In fact, it is hard to categorize: sometimes bluesy, other times jazzy, and the song "Ruthie" is one of the most beautiful love ballads I've ever heard from anyone. And, there's a bit of the Judas character here, too; pondering "Have I paved the way to hell?" in one cut and scathingly attacking institution in "Religion". . . "did they crucify their God just for show?" A well recorded and even album, featuring guitarist Mark Warner, drummers Cozy Powell and Michael Giles, saxophonist Chris Mercer, and trumpeter Henry Lowther amongst others. A MUST HAVE for anyone who collects music from different genres." (2005)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  16. Dok

Dok Senior Member

New Record Label: Intervention Records

toilet_doctor and George P like this.
  17. toilet_doctor

Thank you for reminder. I usually re-post everything about SACD here.

Dok said:
    Shane, Elusive Disc is showing Nov. 10th for Murry Head's Nigel Lived on SACD. Is that accurate?

No, that's not accurate. I would guess early 2018 but it's just a guess. Right now Universal SACDs are the easiest because they handle all of the production- the art, reduplication, etc. Flying Burrito Bros. has shipped to retailers and is on-sale 11/3!

"I am in the process of working out the production workflow and am hoping to have that ironed out this week. Then I can get some orders in- aside from Nigel Lived I have some others lined up that haven't even been announced, and I am moving toward making SACDs part of my deals on an ongoing basis, so there will be more to follow.

But I am in the process of ironing out the kinks. I'll have it dialed in soon and then it will move faster.
    " -- IR Shane (Oct.22, 2017)

Classicrock said:
    Intervention are selling through their own Amazon store so you are buying from them not Amazon but get benefit of Amazon shipping and return policy.

"Prime shipping fulfilled by Amazon!" --
    IR Shane (Nov.01, 2017)

Dok said:
    So, are we shooting for a Spring 2018 SACD release? :)

"Yes, that should hold. I just got my production quotes today, so the process is in place."
    -- IR Shane (Nov.03, 2017)

bruce2 said^
    I just received the Flying Burrito Brothers SACD from Music Direct. Having my first listen now. Have never owned or heard this album before but the sound quality on this SACD is superb! Not sure yet if this music is my cup of tea but top quality sound and package.
    (Nov.03, 2017)

Crimson Witch likes this.
  18. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

19. There is a 10% off coupon floating around that makes it even cheaper.:)

toilet_doctor likes this.
  20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am glad that this is still happening.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  21. Glad what is still happening?

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  22. I purchased the FBB SACD and I’m very happy with the SQ and the super jewel case is a huge improvement from Stealers Wheel cardboard case fiasco. Happy they turned it around. I’m back on board for future releases. :targettiphat:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  23. mongo

mongo Senior Member

That what I'd like to know about it ;)

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Maybe he means the ongoing sale?

Gilded Palace Of Sin

[SACD]
    ~ The Flying Burrito Brothers
    [​IMG]