Intervention Records Hybrid SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Dec 16, 2016.

1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yours looks exactly like mine with that cut-out mark over the bar code.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Man, those Burrito SACDs are already being sold as cut-outs?

ispace likes this.
  3. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

I bought a few of the Beach Boys SACDS when they first came out on ebay and they were still sealed with that large hole in the rear art.
    I think these are touted as PROMOS???
    Not sure if these were meant to be sold or not but they are def. out there.
    They don't appear to be re-seals either as they have that strip on the top with the title etc, as well as the shrink/hype-sticker. (as seen in the Burrito photo above)

George P likes this.
  4. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Thankfully mine are more visually pleasing given the location of the hole.
    Bought 5 titles with the punch between July/Dec 2016 for $18-$24 ea.

[​IMG]

toilet_doctor likes this.
  5. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

If they did Taco on SACD it would probably become a cut-out just as fast. I'm with the idea of putting out Stealers Wheel 2nd album on SACD. Never did like their first album (Can't stand Stuck In The Middle With You) but I love Star. Had the vinyl back in the day.

Crimson Witch and jonathan_s like this.
  6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yay! The wait is over...Nigel Lived has arrived!

toilet_doctor and Juggsnelson like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Been waiting for mine! Let us know how it sounds!

8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Just giving the Nigel Lived the first spin. This title is new to me so I will probably have to give it a few listens before I could say anything solid. However, what I have heard thus far I really like. A lot of it reminds me of early Traffic and Murray sounds somewhat like Winwood on vocals. The sound is certainly very nice for an early seventies recording.

9. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Really nice write up on “Nigel Lived” in The Second Disc today, very complimentary of the sound & packaging.

toilet_doctor and art like this.
  10. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

I received my first SACD from this label, Flying Burritos - Gilded Palace Of Sin

Apart from the tedious cut out in the cover (not OK to pay full prize for that), it’s a great sounding disc really, very easy to crank.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I think they're promo copies (not cut-outs).

12. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

If I received a cut-out I'd be asking for an RMA and sending it back.

Crimson Witch and toilet_doctor like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

My copy of Nigel lives arrived today on sacd. Luckily I was able to hear the album on Spotify and really liked it so I ordered the sacd. Can't wait to hear it!

Joti Cover and toilet_doctor like this.
  14. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Let us know what you think of it. I am going to give mine a second listen some time this weekend!

George P likes this.
  15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Where are people getting these cutouts from?
    I haven’t picked up my order from ImportCDs yet (sitting at my US ship to address waiting for me to PU) but I sure hope it’s not a cutout

16. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Amoeba

17. George P

George P Notable Member

I have never received a cutout from importcds, and I have bought a lot from them.

agentalbert likes this.
  18. art

art Senior Member

The Murray Head sacd is drop dead lovely.

Dok, Joti Cover and toilet_doctor like this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really like mine too. I was completely unfamiliar with the material going in, only knowing Murray Head from "One Night In Bangkok". But I appreciated an SACD release outside of the old standby artists, so gave it a blind buy.

All that static sound on track #3 IS supposed to be there, right? That threw me for a loop at first.

20. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wonder if this is only being released as an SACD. @IR Shane

22. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

New Release

June 20, 2018

Gene Clark White Light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Classic Solo Album From Founding Member of The Byrds!

"... one of the greatest singer/songwriter albums ever made."
    (All Music)

"Gene Clark's 1971 classic "White Light" is a bittersweet and knowing statement from a singer/songwriter at the peak at his creative powers. Having fronted The Byrds, Clark on his own here is stripped down in guitarist Jesse Ed Davis' stark production. The lyrics, singing and guitar playing are so powerful that less production here is immeasurably more musically.
    The album art is beautifully restored by IR's Tom Vadakan and housed in a super jewel box
    ."

Mastering Notes

"White Light's CD/SACD is mastered Direct-to-DSD by Kevin Gray at CoHEARent Audio from the best source available- phenomenal-sounding 1/2" safety copies of the original stereo master tapes. The results are amazing! The beautiful guitar playing is full and rich, and listeners can hear the full body of the instruments, not just the strings. Gene's aching vocals have never been so emotive and immediate."

Release Note

Original Label: A&M Records 1971

Mastered Direct-to-DSD FROM THE REAL ANALOG TAPES!

Mastered by Kevin Gray At CoHEARent Audio

Hybrid CD/SACD Plays On All CD and SACD Players

Super Jewel Box Packaging

IR Catalog: IR-SCD9

UPC: 707129301598

Retail: $30

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. It's an important SACD release considering Audio Fidelity has gone MIA and other changes to the music market.

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Man I am completely floored by the Nigel Lived SACD. I'd say I have a slightly above average music appreciation breadth, and certainly a few friends with much broader range that hip me to stuff, and I hadn't heard squat about Murray Head. Maybe that is one curse of being a Yank. I purposely didn't listen to a note of anything of him when this was announced and put it all on the first play. I loved every bleedin' note of this thing. What incredible production, really wonderful tones throughout many extremely unique yet tasteful, as wide a range of instrumentation but again great taste used, the piano playing was great, the organ notes so vibrant, shimmering and deep, then all those little effects tricks to keep you guessing. My ears were right tweaked to full attuned. On and on I could talk about this thing; I get the first few musical references thrown out there but I had about fifteen more running through my head; again loved it first note to last. The tape seemed in great shape to me. I now half wonder how much Kevin G. knew about this recording and how much his mind was blown trying to remaster this one. I'll bet he had to spend a good bit of extra time figuring the right way out with this one, but no doubt he did fantastic as everything is so well framed to do its thing on your head.

If this thing isn't in a top 500 albums list it sure should be in a top 500 album productions list; and if not that then certainly a 1000 albums to hear before you go tits up. Bravo Shane, what an inspired choice; and thanks so much for having this on SACD for a non-vinyl guy. Kudos again Kevin this was a sublime listen and the SACD is my new favorite thing.

PS I plan on buying direct next time and was planning to for this and Billy Squire, but both of them were list price at Twist & Shout Records in Denver when visiting last week so I took it as a sign. What a fun audiophile and music experience today, thanks again.

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Unfortunately, Nigel Lived didn't make the list:
    1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - Wikipedia

So sorry to inform you that you wasted your time listening to this.

:wiggle:

bmoregnr likes this.