Introduce 10 of your post 2000 'go-to' albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights, Antics, Our Love to Admire. (Any of the 3 would be in my top 10 but I want to list 10 different bands)
    Arcade Fire - Funeral/Suburbs. (Both in my top 10 of 2000)
    Tool - Lateralus. A bit bloated at the end but nearly 60 of it's 76 mins are fantastic.
    Diiv - Oshin. Very atmospheric and cohesive post punk album, reminiscent of the Cure
    The Cure - Bloodflowers. The last great Cure album
    The National - High Violet. Beautiful album from start to finish
    A Place To Bury Strangers - Exploding Head. It's brick-walled and mastered way too hot but it's 40+ mins of post punk heavy guitar effect mayhem. Love it.
    Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth. Fantastic comeback album.
    The Shins - Oh, Inverted World! It never fails to put a smile on my face.
    Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies that Paralyze. Everyone likes "Songs for the Dead" better except me

Machiventa likes this.
  2. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

PJ Harvey - White Chalk
    PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
    David Bowie - The Next Day
    David Bowie - Blackstar
    David Bowie - Heathen
    David Bowie - Reality
    Bjork - Biophilia
    Bjork - Vulnicura
    Madonna - Rebel Heart
    PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project

These are the only post-2000 albums that I listen to, and the last 8 I've only heard in the last year.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Bob Dylan- Love And Theft-2001- (its held up very well. Throws everything into the pot. So I get to listen to the best words with rock-a-billy, broadway jazz country, rock and whatever else Bob could sprinkle in when Im wanting it all at one time. My go to album when Im too lazy and Dylan says "Its cool man, here Ill sing em all for you")

Beck-Sea Change- 2002-(my go to depression album when I cant sleep)

Modest Mouse- Good News For People Who Love Bad News- 2004- ( Such an unusual group. Listened to this when I had a gf that had a convertable. She got me hooked on it. Still something I play with no regrets and with smiles)

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds- Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! -2007- (My favorite rock album mid 2000s. Still gets a lot of play.)

MIA- Kala- 2008- (Shoot I didnt even know this was Hip Hop at the time. Crazy ****. And when my brain is crazy I play this crazy ****. Its my go to when Im crazy as **** album)

The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs- Its Blitz!- 2009-( Screw Sleeter Kinney, Screaming Females and TuneYards!! (Ok not really I love those bands too). But to me this is tall girl punky that I still like. My go to girl rock)

Jason Isbell- SouthEastern- 2013- ( I almost picked Sturgills as my go to. But this ones better. Sorry Sturg. Better writing too. My country album of this decade to go to. And no his latest is not better.)

Lights- Little Machines- 2014- (Well, Im not suppose to like this album because its youthful dance electronica kinda stuff. All I know is that when i listen to it while I run I get high as a kite)

Father John Misty- Honey Bear, I Love You- 2015- (Ill stand on Bon Ivers beard and still say "This is the best damn singer songwriter album in a decade." My go to album on walks in the local parks scruffy the sun would be beautiful if my eyes werent so grainy. The only new-ish album that I can say I know will be a classic in my collection.)

Russian Red-Fuerteventura- 2014- (Too many later 00 albums. How do I know these will be my go to albums in 5 yrs? Well this one is now. Shes my go to voice album.)

Chev and CybrKhatru like this.
  4. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Oh, damn. Forgot about Kate Bush's Aerial and 50 Words for Snow!

johnaltman likes this.
  5. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I've already mentioned the albums I like from Japan, and so here are my go-to albums from closer to my home.

Aurora - All My Demons Greeting Me As A Friend
    Emilie Autumn - Enchant, Opheliac, Fight Like A Girl
    Jessie J - Who You Are, Domino Remix EP, Alive, Sweet Talker
    Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday, The Pinkprint

And that's exactly ten. Guess I did better this time.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Beamish13 likes this.
  6. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Glaring Omission:

[2001] Tenacious D - Tenacious D

fallbreaks and ARK like this.
  7. Inconnu

Inconnu Member

Mekons - Journey to the End of the Night
    Neko Case - Blacklisted
    Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
    Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
    Duffy - Rockferry
    PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
    Beck - Morning Phase
    Beach House - Thank Your Lucky Stars
    Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
    David Bowie - Blackstar

Davey and DLD like this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Wow, some good lists in this thread, be nice if there was more in the way of introductions, but be that as it may, here are a few of mine, didn't quite work out to 10, worked out more to 4x4, which is kind of fitting as this is 2016, just picked from the ones I have on vinyl to narrow it a bit, all ones I've talked about a bunch of times around here so no need to blather on again ....

Left to right, top to bottom ...

Electrelane - The Power Out
    Songs: Ohia - Didn't It Rain
    Honeydogs - 10,000 Years
    Golden Gunn (Steve Gunn and Hiss Golden Messenger)
    Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs
    Life Without Buildings - Any Other City
    All Them Witches - Lightning at the Door
    Nina Nastasia - The Blackened Air
    Notwist - Neon Golden
    Richmond Fontaine - Post To Wire
    Manitoba/Caribou - Up In Flames
    The Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus - Beauty Will Save the World
    Shearwater - Palo Santo
    Joanna Newsom - Ys
    Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
    Califone - Roomsound

[​IMG]

Beamish13 and Gaslight like this.
  9. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Bob Dylan - Modern Times

10. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

My number one rock album is still Primal Scream's XTRMNTR. No other record captures the zeitgeist of the last 20 years like it.

11. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

10. Koi No Yokan - Deftones (2012)
    09. Stankonia - Outkast (2000)
    08. Settle - Disclosure (2014)
    07. Lemonade - Beyonce (2016)
    06. Morning Phase - Beck (2014)
    05. Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem (2007)
    04.My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West (2010)
    03. Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age (2002)
    02. Kid A - Radiohead (2000)
    01. To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar (2015)

azjvm05, notesofachord and Gaslight like this.
  12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Not order kind in any:
    Muse-Black Holes and Revelations
    Pat Metheny Group-The Way Up
    Foster The People-Torches
    The Raveonnettes-Chain Gang Of Love
    Radiohead-Kid A
    Local H-Whatever Happened To P.J. Soles?
    Death Cab For Cutie-Plans
    The Jayhawks-Smile
    Dashboard Confessional-Alter The Ending
    Green Day-American Idiot
    Honorable Mention: Sloan-Pretty Together

13. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

This was really hard.

1. The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers
    2. Kathleen Edwards - Failer
    3. Shea Seger - The May Street Project
    4. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    5. Josh Rouse - Under Cold Blue Stars
    6. Say Lou Lou - Lucid Dreaming
    7. DJ Shadow - The Private Press
    8. Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself
    9. Florence + the Machine - Lungs
    10. Pete Yorn - Music for the Morning After

Lewisboogie and Beamish13 like this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Great group/album, but Im pretty sure that was pre 00s

15. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Released on 31 January 2000

mpayan likes this.
  16. gurkenmann

gurkenmann New Member

First: Hello Guys, iam the New One ;)

To pick only 10 Records is very difficult i think. but i'll Go with:

Jay-Z - The Blueprint
    HipHop has quite a lot of good records coming After the Millenium but Hov's Blueprint is, in my oppinion, the best of them all. produced mostly by Young Kanye West and Just Blaze we got Classic Beats and Jay-Z on the top of his Game. This is a masterpiece, Not only in HipHop.

Lorde - Pure Heroine

Iam Not that of a pop guy, but this? damn, to put on a Record like that with only 16 years of age? wow. she has some very nice lyrics and a great Voice. and the Beats Are, Hands down, the best that i've heard in years. very simple and clean, but perfectly fitting.

System of a Down - Toxicity

I Loved this Record from Day 1 it came out. i Never heard Sound like that before (only discovered similiar Music later that turned Out to be Older) the fast Parts and the Slow parts mixed up. and One big reason is Serj Tankjans incredible Voice.

Paul Kalkbrenner - Berlin Calling

He got me a little in Love with Electonic(techno) music with this record. it is truly beautiful.

Tool - Lateralus

Lateralus was the first Ever Record i heard by Tool. and i was like: damn, what the hell is this? it was Loud, and some Kind of ugly and weird. but it was also some Kind of dope sound. but to get it in full i had to hear it a Lot of Times. it is so complex, there Are so many things to discover in each of the songs. Tool is such a great band...

Kanye West - My Beautiful dark Twisted Fantasy

I Could have choose College dropout too, it's awesome. But My Beautiful... is such an amazing Record. Kanye is maybe hiphops greatest Producer of HipHop After the year 2000. his Raps Are meh, but the way he Builds up his Tracks is wonderful. and this Record is the Perfect example for it. every Sound, every Single Little Noise is perfectly Placed. wonderful...

Gentleman - Journey to Jah

Theres a Small Edge in Reggae Music between sounding good and sounding annoying in that Jamaican Slang. especially if u r Not a native Speaker (comes for me too, iam sorry for my
    Not so perfect English ;) )
    but German Born Gentleman put on an Late roots reggae classic with some dancehall accents. he has a Great voice and some of jamaicas biggest artists like Bounty Killer, Capleton, Morgan Heritage Are featured on this Record.

Non Phixion - The Future is now

Best.Underground.Record.of.all.time.

Andy McKee - Art of Motion

I really Love him as a Guitar Player and as a composer. incredible Skills.

Johnny Cash - IV The man comes around

He still had it. i Love this Record, i Love Johnny Cash but the way it's mastered makes me Wanna cry. it's SO Loud :(

Other honorable Mentions:

Lana del Rey - Born to Die
    Amy Winehouse - Frank
    The Game - Documentary
    Busta Rhymes - Genesis
    Herbert Grönemeyer - Mensch
    Daft Punk - Discovery
    Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent by Design
    Madonna - American Life
    Chezidek - Inna di Road
    Masta Ace - A Long hot Summer

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Davey and Gaslight like this.
  17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I posted 10 a couple of years ago. Here's 10 more

Krokofant - s/t. Norwegian jazz/rock instrumental power trio.

Avishai Cohen - Triveni II. My favorite current jazz trumpeter. Triveni II, by Avishai Cohen »

Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree. A great downtempo album from a band that changes style on every album. My favorite of thiers by quite a bit. Goldfrapp Seventh Tree »

Dawn of Midi - Dysnomia. Techno played by an accoustic piano trio Dysnomia, by Dawn of Midi »

Ekova - Space Lullabies and Other Fantasmagore. Interesting French band from the late 90s and early 2000s. American singer who sings mostly a made up language, an Algerian oud player and an Iranian percussionist, plus electronics. I was lucky enough to see them live. The French Embassy brought them to DC for a French Cultural Festival. This video is a live version of one of the tracks from the album. Ekova - Siip Siie (LIVE) »

Lee "Scratch" Perry - Jamaican E.T. My favorite reggae album and the trippiest album I've ever heard. Lee Perry - 10 Commandments, Jamaican E.T. »

Get the Blessing - Lope and Antilope. Trip hop jazz. Jazz sax and trumpet front line and the rhythm section from Portishead. This album and OCDC are my favorites. Viking Death Moped »

Janel and Anthony - Where is Home. Electric guitar and cellow with lots of effects. They're a local band that does have some following outside of DC. Before I heard of them, the frequently did shows around DC. As soon as I heard of them, they went on tour in the EU and I didn't get see them for a year. I finally saw them open for Kaki King. Where Is Home, by Janel and Anthony »

Kaki King - The Neck is the Bridge to the Body. Speaking of Kaki King, I went to her show to see Janel and Anthony. I owned two of Kaki King's albums and liked them well enough. She's a great guitarist. Her show was one of the best shows I've ever seen. She had a white guitar on a stand. She dressed in white and bleached hair. The guitar, her body and a screen behind here were video mapped. If you get a chance to see her do this, you won't regret it. The Surface Changes by Kaki King »

Battle Trance - Palace of Wind. Tenor saxophone quartet as in four tenor saxophones. This is pretty uncatagorizable music. The musicians all have jazz pedigrees but this is composed music. They use circular breathing so it's pretty unrelenting and a bit droning. I love drone music so it's right up my alley. They're second album is coming out in August and I've preordered it. Palace of Wind, by Battle Trance »

Machiventa and Davey like this.
  18. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

This album is sooooooo good...

19. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Man, I do love this album, listening right now after work, helped along with a cold bottle or two of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale, and the world does seem alright tonight. Really a great record, cool cover by Johnette Napolitano (Concrtete Blonde) too, should get much more attention, Steve has been going strong since the late 70s, pretty amazing career, one he should be truly proud of, even if not quite the success he might've wanted. Coulda shoulda woulda been on my list too, but I only have the CD, and the picture and list I posted just a little ways above was just for records to try and narrow it down to 16 (note to self, I really should probably try to get this on vinyl before I die, and should kick myself in the ass for not getting it when it was cheap and easy).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  20. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Samantha 7 by Samantha 7.
    Daredevil by Pete Anderson.
    Master of Disaster by John Hiatt.
    Lightning Strikes Again by Dokken.
    Limelight by Rush.

21. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I've chatted with him after some shows. Such a great guy too. I have the Dream Syndicate stuff on vinyl but I regret not grabbing the Miracle 3 stuff as well.

Davey likes this.
  22. AudioRoss

AudioRoss Well-Known Member

An acoustic evening at the Vienna Opera theater - Joe Bonamassa
    Tour de Force - Live in London Hammersmith Apollo - Joe Bonamassa

Manimal likes this.
  23. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I had crossed off Local H from my notes which means I checked out a couple songs on youtube and was not interested. Whatever Happened To P.J. Soles? is a good album though. I just picked it up over the weekend.

twowwheels likes this.
  24. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Gillian Welch - The Harrow and the Harvest
    Aoife O'Donovan - Fossils
    Dylan - Love and Theft
    Della Mae - s/t
    Duhks - s/t
    Peter Rowan - Dharma Blues
    Sam Bush - Circles Around Me
    Sierra Hull - A Troubled Mind
    Tim O'Brien - Traveler