Introduction to Bob Marley

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

The video above is my own copy so I can guarantee its authenticity. I also own a copy of the edited 1971 mix that fades before the 'Don't call no cops...' verse.

I was told by one of the researchers that the alternate mix (with the dropouts) was an authentic 1971 'dub' mix, but as I said previously I have my doubts about that - for one thing it sounds far too clean

Maybe the unedited mix no longer exists in the Tuff Gong/Universal vaults, although there does exist a reel containing most if not all of the songs that were released on US Tuff Gong/G&C in 1971 and 1972 (plus unreleased songs/masters) that may have it; but that is presently in private hands and Tuff Gong/Universal declined to buy it as they felt the asking price was too much

crozcat and Edmoney like this.
  2. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Although I'd love to have the original unedited full length version on CD from a historical, purist standpoint, the only difference I can tell between that and this alternate mix are the dropouts (which seem intentionally placed for effect). Otherwise, to my ears they both seem to use the same vocal and instrumental takes (with dropouts added subsequently for the alternate). That little skip at 3:03 appears at the same spot in both, so perhaps that exists in the original source. Seeing that I don't have a choice, I can live with this alternate mix.

3. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Interesting, just listened to my JA Tuff Gong copy of it and it has the end part cut off. Somehow I was unaware that there were early pressings with the full ending all this time.

4. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I'm sure everything has been said, but my starting points would be:
    1. Do you need anything beyond Legend, one of the best greatest hits packages ever ?
    2. If you do, start with Exodus, then maybe one of the earlier albums like Catch A Fire (that with the Jamaican and UK versions) or Natty Dread, or a later one like Kaya, and maybe the Live (in London) one;
    3. Decide if you need the whole Island label album set - Bob and the Wailers didn't make a bad album, even the posthumous one was decent - they are all consistently good/great and you won't go wrong;
    4. Decide if you want to explore the pre Island JA albums; and
    5. Decide if you want to explore some of the solo albums e.g. Blackheart Man, Legalize It, Bush Doctor etc;
    6. Decide if you want to look beyond Bob to other groups like Black Uhuru or singers like Gregory Isaacs.

5. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I started with cheap, pirate, grey area versions of the Trojan years and I loved them...They abounded in supermarkets for next to nothing back in the day (I bought a couple for 12 french francs each). Never regretted it and explored anything i could get my hands on from then. Articles with full discographies helped me out a lot when i was 13.

6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It's not, the original single version is the one marmalade166 posted above.

I have to point out again that there are no US releases, the ones that mention Koch were made in Canada, just so people don't start looking for something that doesn't exist. Also the Part I set was released in the UK (by Koch), in a paper fold out package, don't know why it was only that one that came out like that.

I said "original full lenght single version", so I was talking about the one posted earlier, which is not on any CD as far as I know. The single edit can of course be found all over the place, on many Trojan releases and basically any release that is not by Universal.

Good to see that you are back up on YouTube. It ruined all my posts where I have linked to your uploads when you were taken down. ;)

If a person has Legend I would not suggest Exodus as the next step, simply because one already has half the songs on that album, seems like a waste. I'd suggest getting one of the three albums that Legend neglects: Natty Dread, Rastaman Vibration or Survival.

7. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Do you happen to know where I can find a complete and accurate discography that lists all of the Bob Marley and the Wailers singles (A-sides and B-sides) in chronological order from the pre-Island period? The closest thing I found is this entry on Wikipedia (Bob Marley and the Wailers discography - Wikipedia ), but I'm not sure how complete and accurate it is. For example, in your post you mention singles such as Hammer, Sugar Sugar, Mr. Chatterbox, and What Goes Around Comes Around that don't appear in the Wikipedia list. And Wikipedia lists something like "Dub Feeling" from 1972 as being a single, but that PDF by KAZO mentions it as a B-side to a track called "Trouble Dub" (I think the KAZO PDF is very useful as a reference for some things, but not really as a source clearly listing all of the singles). Is there a definitive discography online somewhere?

8. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Werner's site is probably the best

www.wailer.de

Edmoney and onionmaster like this.
  9. onionmaster

Would highly recommend you get this book. I've relied on it for years. It has a centre panel of all the single labels:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Bob Marley and the Wailers: The Definitive Discography

As far as I understand the four singles you mention were only released as blanks, ie that the Wailers pressed them up for DJs and not commercial release.

Edmoney likes this.
  10. onionmaster

Have you got a link to more info on that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.