Inverted / Backwards "B" on ABBA CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CraigWilliams, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigWilliams

CraigWilliams Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have four redface ABBA discs (The Visitors, Super Trouper and The Singles double CD) that have the first "B" in ABBA backwards. I've seen other redface discs where the "B" is normal. ABBA experts: what significance is the "B" in terms of pressing number or desirability?

2. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

There is none. There was only ever one edition of those discs. The disc with the normal "B" is Greatest Hits Vol. 2, where somebody had a brain fade when setting the text on the disc face. The mistake was only fixed on later blue face and clear face pressings.

3. CraigWilliams

CraigWilliams Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

You learn something new everyday. It seems that it is a very early copy of Super Trouper - it has a matrix indicating that it is a first pressing and it has the longer barcode which early copies were known to have. Obviously they corrected their mistake early in the run once it was spotted.

5. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I'm a graphic designer, and believe me, letters don't get backwards unless it's intentional. Turning the first "B" backwards made the name symmetrical, and you'll find several examples of that on their records, CDs, etc. It's an intentional graphic device.

6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

It seems the issue was only discovered on this forum when questions were asked about a certain Russian seller in the classifieds. It has since been accertained that he is a legit seller, and that the non reversed "B" text is a valid variation for the red-faced Super Trouper too.

7. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

The reversed B has it's origin in a photo-session they once had with a german photographer. He had them in a studio and placed them around four big models of the letters A and B. By coincidence in some shots one of the Bs has been turned around. They liked that and from that moment on used the reversed B in many cases when it was possible to do so. Remember: ABBA worked in the 1970s, when the typewriter still ruled and it was not easy to reverse a letter.

8. ABBAFANUSA

ABBAFANUSA Forum Resident

Love the α—…α—Ία—·α—… logo :righton:

Basenote66 likes this.
  9. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

As they say, that backwards b is called d - or maybe not ;-)

10. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

Adba o_O

Basenote66 likes this.
  11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

For what it's worth, my orange-faced Super Trouper CD with the backwards 'B' has the first matrix code ending in 01. It also has the mirrored dead space on the play side, indicative of a very early Polygram pressing. The pressing with the normal 'B' must be very rare.

The backwards 'B' pressing with the orange paint coating is also rare in my experience. I have a West German pressing with no paint coating that was made from the first glass master (01 matrix code) and that has the mirrored dead space. This suggests that Polydor transitioned from the orange-faced pressing to the no-paint pressing early on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.