**INXS- Kick** Official album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JuniorNB, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ciggy40

ciggy40 Forum Resident

Great album from '87. I just picked up a West German pressing with a graphic disc, silver, blue, and grey, by Mercury records (832 721-2). Does anyone know if this is a keeper? Thanx.

2. 905

905 Senior Member

Kick is one of those albums that plays like a best of. Nearly every song sounds like a single.

I often play Mystify and Never Tear Us Apart more than once when I listen to Kick.

3. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Has anyone picked up the MOFI Vinyl of this one? I've had my eye on it for a while but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The last great record INXS made in my book. They had 3 killer ones in a row before that as well. :cheers:

5. Great album! Loved it when it came out and ever since. I seem to remember there were TONS of CD and vinyl and cassette maxi-singles and EP's that came out along with it. Heck, there were probably more non-album tracks released that accompanied Kick than there were songs on the album!

6. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

I used to think that too, but recently I've revisited Welcome to Whereever You Are and unlike my snap judgement in 92, I think that's a great one too. To be sure, there is a little filler but its also chalk full of great songs.

Anyway, I think Matt's comment above about Kick seeming like a greatest hits/singles record is spot on. Each song is bold and stands well on its own. My friend used to describe INXS's music of this mid-late eighties era as "perfect" Maybe finely honed and complete is better way to put I understand what he meant by the term perfect. Everything in its right place.

7. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Killer track.

Jimmy Barnes is the guy who sung it with Michael Hutchence.

Good Times

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

There's another song on the Lost Boys soundtrack where it's more Jimmy Barnes with INXS backing him up ("Laying Down The Law"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fBlAmDyh_0

9. PaulE

PaulE Forum Resident

Jimmy Barnes is a rock legend in Australia. His band Cold Chisel were huge in Oz and still have a big following. They sometimes get together for a few reunion shows every now and then. He also had/has a big solo career in Australia. I was never a huge fan. I have always thought he was only the 2nd best singer in Cold Chisel with Ian Moss taking the prize. Now Mossy is a talented guy. Great guitar player as well.

I digress though, back to Kick. Great album. As mentioned above, INXS were on a 3 or 4 album roll at this point in their history. Kick is one of those albums you can enjoy all the way through.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed- one of those songs you hear and go "what is that?". So fresh and unique at the time and still blows me away when I hear it. Have to say though that I hate the single mix that shows up on all the comps. "Mediate" must be attached to it just like on MTV!

Anyone know why they re-recorded The Loved One for Kick?

11. The rear of my original Aussie CD states DAD.

12. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Another deluxe edition is on the way, this one a 3 CD/1 DVD set:

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2012/07/13/inxs-kick-25-anniversary-reissue/

INXS’ 1987 album Kick sold 6 million copies and spawned four Top 10 singles in the U.S., turning the Aussie rockers into global superstars. Now, 25 years later, the band this fall will release an expanded edition of the album featuring three CDs and a DVD packed with remixes, demos, “unheard tracks,” a documentary and home video footage.

The band — which last year enlisted new lead singer Ciaran Gribbin — has not officially announced the 25th anniversary reissue, but it is beginning to appear on U.K. music retailers’ websites with a Sept. 17 release date via Mercury Records.

The tracklist hasn’t yet been unveiled, but, according to the reissue’s packaging, the set will include the original album on one CD plus two more CDs filled with “remixes, demos, unheard tracks.” The DVD will include a new documentary on the album, plus previously unseen home video footage and promos. Finally, the set also will include a hardback book called “The Story of Kick,” a poster and a sticker sheet.

This fall’s reissue won’t be the first for Kick. In 2002, the album was reissued in the U.S. with four previously unreleased bonus tracks. Two years later, it was given a two-disc Deluxe Edition reissue in the U.K., with a dozen bonus tracks featured on the second disc.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't think it was bad.

I have the CD, and it's been a couple of decades since i've played it, but I like it too. It's like they put everything they had into the album

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It was a digital recording.

15. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

No, but it would be hard to top the original Atlantic I have. Dirt cheap and mint. Sounds great, especially on the singles played to death by radio ever since. You can clearly pick out all the little effects used.

16. The original CD sounds great, too. I'd be really surprised if any of the remasters improve on it in any way.

sunking101 likes this.
  17. Can anybody list the bonus tracks contained on the various reissues?

The ones I know about are the following:

1989 Japan "special edition" with different cover
    2002 US remaster
    2004 UK double disc set

18. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Japan (including typos):
    13. Devil Inside (Re-mix Version)
    14. New Sensation (Nick 12" Mix)
    15. Move On
    16. Need You Tonight (Mendelsohn Mix)
    17. Different World
    18. Guns in the Sky (Kick *** Mix)

US remaster:
    13. Move On (Guitar Version)
    14. Jesus Was a Man
    15. Mystify (Chicago Demo)
    16. The Trap (Demo)

UK double disc set:
    13. Move On
    14. I'm Coming (Home)
    15. On The Rocks
    16. Mystify (Chicago Demo)
    17. Jesus Was A Man (Demo Outtake)
    18. Trap (Demo)
    19. New Sensation (Nick 12' Mix)
    20. Guns In The Sky (Kick *** Remix)
    21. Need You Tonight (Mendelsohn Extended Mix)
    22. Mediate (Live From America)
    23. Never Tear Us Apart (Live From America)
    24. Kick (Live From America)

19. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Cool but I wish they would pay a little attention to one of the other albums for a change like The Swing or Shabooh Shoobah. I won't turn down unreleased stuff though! :)

20. Thanks! I wonder what the new deluxe set has in store.

Anybody care to list the tracks contained on the singles, maxi-singles, promos, and EP's released contemporaneously with Kick? I wondering exactly what is out there. I remember the Devil Inside EP with On the Rocks pretty well, as well as the New Sensation EP with the cover showing the band gathered around the car, and wish I would have bought them back in '88!

21. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

This post at The Second Disc lists a bunch of tracks that weren't on the previous 2CD version:
    http://theseconddisc.com/2010/02/15/reissue-theory-inxs-kick/
    *Move On (Guitar Version) [on the Rhino reissue]
    *I'm Coming (Home) (Remix) [Japan-only b-side]
    *Devil Inside (12" Remix) [on the Japanese special edition]
    *Shine Like it Does (Live) [New Sensation b-side]
    *Guns in the Sky (Kookaburra Mix) [New Sensation b-side]
    *Do Wot You Do [Pretty in Pink soundtrack]
    *Different World [on the Japanese special edition, but there's also a 12" version]
    *Need You Tonight (Ben Liebrand Mix) [Need You Tonight 12" single]

There were some other songs used as b-sides from this era, but they were primarily songs or remixes from previous albums ("What You Need," etc.), so they wouldn't really make sense on a "Kick" reissue.

Plus, as others have noted, there's a Video Version of "Never Tear Us Apart" that has an extended instrumental intro. If they would clean this up a bit it would make a nice inclusion on this release.

22. buckets

buckets Forum Resident

I found a tracklisting for the new 3 CD/ 1 DVD Kick 25th Anniversary Edition. Looks like I'll be keeping my 2 disc Deluxe edition from 2004.

Disc 1: Original LP

Guns In The Sky
    New Sensation
    Devil Inside
    Need You Tonight
    Mediate
    The Loved One
    Never Tear Us Apart
    Wild Life
    Mystify
    Kick
    Calling All Nations
    Tiny Daggers

Disc 2: B-sides and rarities

Move On (B-side to "Need You Tonight" ¨C Mercury INXS 12 (U.K.), 1987) *
    I'm Coming (Home) (B-side to "Need You Tonight" - Atlantic 7-89188 (U.S.), 1987) *
    On the Rocks (B-side to "Devil Inside" ¨C Atlantic 7-89144 (U.S.), 1988) *
    Mystify (Chicago Demo) **
    Jesus Was a Man (Demo) **
    The Trap (Demo) **
    New Sensation (Nick 12'' Remix) (12'' A-side ¨C Atlantic 0-86572, 1988) *
    Guns in the Sky (Kick *** Mix) (12'' B-side to "New Sensation" ¨C Atlantic 0-86572 (U.S.), 1988) *
    Need You Tonight (Mendelsohn Extended Mix) (12" A-side ¨C Mercury INXS 1212 (U.K.), 1987) *
    Mediate (Live @ San Diego Sports Arena ¨C 3/31/1988) *
    Never Tear Us Apart (Live @ San Diego Sports Arena ¨C 3/31/1988) (B-side to "Mystify" ¨C Mercury INXS 13 (U.K.), 1988) *
    Kick (Live @ San Diego Sports Arena ¨C 3/31/1988) *
    Move On (Guitar Version) **

Disc 3: Remixes

Do Wot You Do (from Pretty in Pink soundtrack ¨C A&M SP-5113, 1986/B-side to "New Sensation" ¨C Mercury INXS 9 (U.K.), 1988)
    New Sensation (Nick 7" Mix) (12'' B-side ¨C WEA 0-258016 (AUS), 1988)
    New Sensation (Australian 12'') (12'' A-side ¨C WEA 0-258016 (AUS), 1988)
    Devil Inside (Extended Mix) (12'' A-side ¨C Atlantic 0-86622 (U.S.), 1987)
    Devil Inside (7''Version) (single A-side ¨C Atlantic 7-89144 (U.S.), 1987)
    Different World (7'' Mix) (B-side to "Never Tear Us Apart" 12'' single ¨C Atlantic 0-86538 (U.S.), 1988)
    Calling All Nations (Nile Rodgers Remix) ***

Disc 4: Track Baby Track DVD

Various Band Footage
    New Sensation (Live @ the Midtfyns Festival)
    Never Tear Us Apart (Live @ the Midtfyns Festival)
    Need You Tonight (Live @ the Midtfyns Festival)
    Kick (Live @ the Midtfyns Festival)
    Devil Inside (Live @ the Midtfyns Festival)
    Mystify (Live @ the Midtfyns Festival)
    Guns in the Sky (promo video)
    Mystify (promo video)
    Need You Tonight (promo video)
    * indicates track from deluxe edition ¨C Mercury 982 355-0 (U.K.), 2004
    ** indicates track from expanded edition ¨C Rhino R2 78204 (U.S.), 2002
    *** indicates previously unreleased track

Already have everything except the Nile Rodgers remix of Calling All Nations. Wish they would work on Deluxe Editions of "Shabooh Shoobah", "The Swing" and "Listen Like Thieves" instead of another rehash of "Kick". They have tons of B-Sides that have never been released on CD. Oh well.

23. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I don't think this album has aged well at all. It's still OK, but not as good as Listen Like Thieves.

24. buckets

buckets Forum Resident

The 3 CD/ 1 DVD set is still missing a few B-Sides from the Kick era:

Guns In the Sky (Kookaburra Remix)
    Different World (12'' Mix)
    Need You Tonight (Ben Liebrand Remix)
    Shine Like It Does (Live)
    Good Times
    Laying Down The Law

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I will have to wait and see how this is priced before making a decision. If it is a bargain like the Simple Minds x5 set earlier this year, I'm in. If it is like U2's Achtung Baby boxsets, I'm out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.