INXS LP Boxed Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by celticbob, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rocketdog and Thurenity like this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

"The box will contain all ten Hutchence-era studio albums remastered at Abbey Road using the digital 2011 remasters."

I'll pass.

richbdd01, Agent57, Paully and 2 others like this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I might pick up Welcome to Wherever You Are and Elegantly Wasted. Actually, it depends on how expensive the entire box is. I have all of the albums on CD but don't listen to most of them. The 2 aforementioned albums are, by far, the INXS albums I listen to the most and, in my opinion, are among the best albums of the '90s.

It seems that they are going the Doors route by pretending that the post-Hutchence album, Switch, doesn't exist just as The Doors pretended that the 2 post-Morrison albums didn't exist in their various album reissues.

Rocketdog and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. I'm a huge INXS fan but I'd be more interested in a comprehensive, official b-side collection than this.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I think most of my INXS LPs are awesome sounding, and they are NOT hard to find. "Kick" usually gets sold for a premium, but the other ones shouldn't ever run you more than $4-$5 in a used bin.

Christopher B and mjthomas001 like this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

One LP is a vinyl debut in the box.

Shabooh Shoobah actually goes for a premium. My friend has spent 5 years and a couple dozen record stores trying to find a clean copy. So far only 2 copies with different flaws.

7. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I'm in Australia and have never seen X onwards on vinyl.Have them all on cd and a few on vinyl but will probably pony up for the box

8. celticbob

KICK and ELEGANTLY WASTED are the titles I want. Anyone hear the 2012 reissue of the MoFi Silver?

9. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I might have been in, but mastering from existing digital masters is just plain lazy - perhaps I'm being unfair, but unless the 2011 digital masters are an amazing source to work from, I doubt these are going to be that impressive sounding.

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Kick" and "Shoobah" can be found dead easy over here for five Euros. I know because I see them very often:)

11. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Forget it.
    • Shabooh Shoobah
    • The Swing
    • Listen Like Thieves

are all really nice, analogue recordings. The originals, the Australian pressings, sound great.
    "remastered at Abbey Road using the digital 2011 remasters"
    Who are they trying to kid???
    The MoFi of Kick is the best sounding version of that one too. And that is mostly digital.

A No-Brainer Boycott.

Christopher B likes this.
  12. celticbob

Thanks, Mofi KICK and EW from this.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Especially since most of them are available for around $1 as good sounding original vinyl issues.

krlpuretone likes this.
  14. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

The MFSL of Kick sounds terrific, it's done from a tape copy of the original master as far as I recall from when they answered that question on their FB page.

celticbob likes this.
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

HALF of this catalogue is tough to find on vinyl. You would be making a mint on ebay if you regularly see them(SS & post kick) in bargain bins.

5 are easy to find, 5 are hard/difficult/expensive to find(one of which is exclusive to this box set)

16. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I own original US copies of Shabooh Shoobah, The Swing, Listen Like Thieves and Kick. All sound great. As a matter of fact Kick sounds amazing on vinyl. This set is a bit enticing only for "X" and all the albums after. Especially for Welcome to..., Full Moon..., and Elegantly Wasted, which never saw US pressings on vinyl.

Szeppelin75 and Rocketdog like this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I'd definitely give X a shot. It's my favorite of theirs, right after Listen Like Thieves.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  18. Try the MOFI Silver. Close to the UK original. imo, of course.

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The first two albums are lot harder to find than Kick, in my experience. In the last few years, the only time I have ever seen Underneath The Colors in the wild was when I was thousands of miles away from home!

There's an RL Shabooh Shoobah, in case you didn't know that was out there. :whistle:

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Amazingly, I see them both around here frequently. Of course, they're always pretty beat up. Since INXS isn't apparently deemed valuable around these parts, I haven't been in any rush to grab 'em. It's hilarious how the same store will price an EX copy of Kick anywhere from $5-$15 depending on which nimrod is doing the deed.

21. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Has anyone found any pre-order listings for the individual LPs yet? So far the only price listing I can find related to these releases is for the box set on Amazon UK; unfortunately no individual listings yet:

Amazon.co.uk - £201.99

Amazon Spain have a listing for the box set (no individual LPs), but no price.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd be interested in Elegantly Wasted and Welcome, as another poster stated. I've tracked down a nice copy of X and randomly found a South American pressing of Full Moon, Dirty Hearts (for $7, no less!). Not sure I'm enough of a fan of the early stuff to need anything prior to Listen Like Thieves, but those albums also seem pretty easy to come by, for the most part.

INXS has their fans, but as someone said, other than Kick, none of their titles really command a premium.

edit: anyone notice this is the first time Elegantly Wasted has been included in ANYTHING? It's the only album not on streaming services, and the title track (one of their best singles, ever) has never been on any compilations, as far as I know.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The single version of the title track was included on the INXS anthology Shine Like It Does and on a couple of video compilations. I agree that it is one of their best. The entire album is one of my favorites from the band. It's a mystery as to why tracks from the album are rarely included in compilations. Perhaps it has to do with the album being on a different label than the others and possible record company negotiations to get the rights to use the songs.

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I always assumed it was a label thing, but most compilations I've seen don't include anything from it. Hopefully they'll restore the album to Spotify, etc, as well now. Uneven, like most INXS records, but some really great stuff on it as well.

25. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

ptijerm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.