Ipod Classic Battery Service??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by johnny q, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Ipod Classic is about 6 years old. Recently, the battery no longer holds a charge. It will say it's fully charged when placed in a docking station or connected to a PC or Laptop, but once it is disconnected the battery will die in about 10 minutes.

Can anyone advise a remedy? Can I simply take it to an Apple store?

JQ

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Three choices, tmk - use an Apple Store or Authorized Reseller, which I believe costs $60. 2nd would be an non-authorized seller / third party which would probably be a bit cheaper, and of course there's the DIY solution which is the cheapest but would require the most tech skills.

3. johnny q

So the Apple store route - they will service it? I assumed (hopefully incorrectly) that because it is discontinued I am out of luck.

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/ Looks like it's still supported for battery replacement, which imo is a smart move on their part since the battery, and the HDD, are usually the first parts that would go on the device.

johnny q likes this.
  5. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

It's a super simple repair, like 5 minutes simple. Rapidrepair.com has the parts cheap

Thing Fish and krisbee like this.
  6. johnny q

I know...I gathered that from some articles and tutorials I read on the web. However.....you are chatting with a guy that struggles to hang a picture or make toast....I have 0.0 tech chops! :)

Gaslight likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yeah, it all depends on your comfort level with these things. I love to take electronics apart (and sometimes I probably shouldn't), but that's just me.

timind and johnny q like this.
  8. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

There's several really good You Tube videos on how to change the battery in a classic. The hardest part is actually getting the thing apart, everything else is very simple. May want to see how much it would cost to have someone do it for you and then decide, but if you're gentle and can get it apart, you shouldn't have any trouble.

- Buck

johnny q likes this.
  9. johnny q

So I went to the Apple store yesterday and they looked at me like I had two heads! I mentioned the battery service blurb on the website and they told me they don't offer any services for Ipods older than 5 years (mine was purchased in 2009.) Seems in contradiction with what the website says.

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

:( Good to know. Could also be a store-to-store thing, keep in mind. Ie. how well trained they are.

11. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Ipodbatterydepot.

12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

The red x of death appeared on my 160gb friday evening. Messed with it a bit and now stuck on ok to disconnect. Have an older 80gb which works like new, never serviced yet.

13. johnny q

I may just take a stab at that....battery+tools+instructions. Thanks.

14. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

If you don't have experience and the aptitude for doing "close in" delicate electronic repair, have someone else do it. Period.

BluesOvertookMe and papatwo like this.
  15. johnny q

The problem is finding someone. Apple store will not touch it and all of the local cellular repair type stores only service the touch or nano.

16. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

They used to offer a 10% discount on a new iPod purchase if you turned in an old one that could not be repaired.

17. johnny q

The thing is, I don't want a new one - I need the storage space of my 120gb. I am on the verge of ordering the parts/tools kit online and attempting the repair myself.

18. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

The older Ipods were fairly simple but the newer Classics are a bit of a challenge to crack open. That said, as others have posted there are lots of YouTube videos on this. I say give it a try yourself carefully. I have found that guitar picks are very helpful and tend not to damage the case as much as thinner tools once you crack a section open. Now, should you end up butchering the case back you can find new replacement backs online if you need one. Lastly, if you are going to all this trouble don't skimp on the battery. Get the best quality one you can find. Randy

johnny q likes this.
  19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I had this issue with my iPod Classic as well. Ended up replacing it with a Pono.

20. rod

rod Senior Member

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Try a reset first if you haven't already done so. If it's really the battery prepare to operate doctor!

22. johnny q

It's the battery for sure. It never completes charging and even though it says its at "max" if it is not docked, it dies in about 5 minutes (battery meter drained.)

23. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Ive used kingipod.com and they were quick and fair, i thought.

24. johnny q

So this is one of those places you ship the unit to? What was the turn-around time?

25. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

I've used these folks several times for my iPod Photo. Fast and reasonable.

http://www.irepair.com

I've gotten my unit back usually within 7-10 days max.

randy9700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.