iPod Classic Is Gone, Which Portable MP3 Player Do You Suggest?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oneslip17, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I can use a 128gb card on my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and then run the Onkyo HF Player for WAV, flac etc. Very pleased with it. I also have an excellent ipod Touch, 3rd gen with 32gb which has a lovely sound.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sony should bring back the "Walkman " with a friendly consumer price.

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

It's functionality is built into my phone. If anything, Walkman is the term for the software as much as the hardware from the brand.

4. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I didn't know they'd stop selling them. I have one and use every bit of storage.

Every time I heard Ipods were on sale I'd check to see the savings on the usual $249 price, and it was usually on $20 so I didn't bite...I guess I should have, lol.

5. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Grab virtually any model of iPod classic - get one of these to replace the hard-drive with (the hardest part is opening the ipod!) and you can then use compact flash, or SDXC memory cards of whatever storage value you prefer. The iPod should last for a very long time - the only moving parts then being the buttons (without the harddrive installed):

http://www.tarkan.info/20080115/tutorials/iflash-ipod-compact-flash-mk2

Just done this to my old 80GB iPod video (5th gen) and now have 128GB of storage wich I can change/upgrade easily :)

John

hvbias likes this.
  6. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I just picked up an E12A (so-called "IEM Edition") and it sounds pretty good. Improved the sound of the X5 considerably. Much quieter than the stock E12.

7. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Checked iPod classics on ebay -- just out of curiosity based on this thread. Wow! The prices! If not used off ebay, swapping out the HD, I suppose it's:

a) iPod Touch, 64gb (and learn to deal with 128AAC if your music collection is as big as I'm guessing it is).
    b) laptop
    c) will you have internet? cloud service loaded with your tunes, or stream with Spotify.

8. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I suggest products from Cowon.

9. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Damn, glad I got my 160gb classic last year! It's a shame really... in my opinion, the best portable device for music lovers with large collections.

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Neat! The E12A is so new I wasn't even thinking of it.
    The specs comparison to the E12 shows some nice improvements.
    http://www.fiio.net/en/products/33/comparisons

Much better crosstalk measurement. The 65dB crosstalk for the E12 is really kinda sucky. Creates a restricted soundstage with too forward mids. That's the part I dislike most about the E12. If the E12A does better it would be well worth it. The E12A has less power than the E12, but looks like it still has more than plenty for even full size headphones. And the E12A has a bigger battery so a longer run time. Price on Amazon for the E12A is $160 compared to $130 for the E12.

11. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Good suggestion, or one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nuforce-ICON-...d=1416256808&sr=8-1&keywords=nuforce+icon+ido

12. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What app did you use?

14. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I'm tempted to sell my last generation IPod 160GB Classic on eBay now - had no idea they were going for so much. I've not used mine in over two years since I got an iPhone.

15. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I think it was Samsung Kies.

16. There are many sources for iPod Classics--I know Sam's here in the US still has them. Also various eBay members are selling new or reconditioned ones at fairly decent prices Were I you, I'd buy several.

Also on the same lines, my son is captain on a semi-submersible drilling ship in Gulf of Mexico and has the same problem. He uses several Nanos filled with different types' music; i.e. one for rock, one for classical, one for jazz, etc. Another idea

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Cool, thanks!

18. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Let's say you have $400 to spend and are interested in clarity and warmth with regard to sound. Do any of the MP3 players top the others with respect to the quality of the DAC? PONO looks very interesting but what if you can't afford really good headphones? Is it still worth it? My BOSE phones got stolen so I opted for a Skullcandy Uprock set for $40 and they sound decent. Any suggestions?

19. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which Sam's store are you referring to? Here in Portland Oregon, We don't have any retail stores by that name. At least, none that I have seen.

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It's a warehouse store like Costco owned by Walmart.

21. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ah, ok. I just checked their website, and it doesn't appear they have any available within my area. Darn.

22. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

Sony D100

23. My Sam's didn't have it on their website either, but had them in the physical store. May want to try an actual visit

24. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Yeah, me too. I've been using my new phone for music.

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

How much?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.