iPod Nostalgia (2003 - 2007) - Or, feeling growing pains at 26.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The7thStranger, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

Sure you can. $178.99 total for a player with 200GB (around 183GB effective) storage. Great sound quality and it plays more audio formats than an iPod.

FiiO X1 $99.99
    Amazon.com: FiiO X1 High Resolution Digital Lossless Media Player (Silver): Electronics »

SanDisk 200GB microSD $79.00
    Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A): Computers & Accessories »

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I thought the X1 capped out at 128gb cards. Did they release another firmware update to raise the roof?

3. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation Thread Starter

I think they cap out the number of files, but that may have already been solved with the firmware update?

4. The7thStranger

Automation is never a good idea, but for me it's the fact that the iPhone actually deleted my entire library from the device when I tried to use Apple Music with it. What a mess.

5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ugh... Yeah, pass!

Oh, and with regard to the file limit on the X1, I can't speak for higher capacity cards, but Amazon reviews lead me to believe that it's been eliminated with some firmware update or other in 128gb cards.

6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That is why I prefer to store my music locally and load the content on my player from one source. I don't have much of a problem with automation as long as I'm the one setting up and controlling the process and it does exactly what I want it to do.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

None for me (I wouldn't use an iPod if you paid me) but I could understand becoming attached to it like you described if that was your thing.

The7thStranger likes this.
  8. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

I'm using two 200GB cards in an X5II and haven't had any problems (note: I use folder mode exclusively on the X5 and can't comment on scanning speed or library-related button delays.) I also used a 200GB card successfully in a 1st generation X3 before I bought the X5. The only issue I've found is that the FiiO devices sometimes don't recognize higher capacity cards when trying to install new firmware so I keep a 32GB card handy for doing firmware upgrades.

Found this thread on the FiiO forums:

"I have a FIIO X1, 200gb card formatted exFAT works great with 140gb of 256kbs AAC files. The X1 is very slow with that many files, some times delays of 10-20 seconds with button selection, folder mode works best with no delays."

"I just bought the Sandisk 200gb card,already formatted exFAT, copied my flac files, and all is well, working great in my Fiio X1."

Do x1/x3/x3ii/x5/x5ii/x7 support Sandisk new 200gb mirco SD card? - General Discussion - FiiO Forums - Powered by Discuz! »

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Rupe33 likes this.
  9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The performance slowdown is off-putting... Color me spoiled, but my 160gb iPod operates almost instantaneously. Granted, I'm using lossless files, so if the issue is file count, I'm probably fine.

10. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

Yeah, I guess if you're used to the iPod interface it's a bit of a step backwards. I never really used iPods much (my previous players were various Archos and Sansa models running Rockbox) so I just use the file/folder mode on the FiiO devices and it's pretty quick. I set up top level folders "A","B", "C"..."V", "Various", "W", "X", etc, then each letter folder contains artist folders, and under the artist folder are album folders containing the audio files. It only takes a few seconds to find a particular album and I usually listen to an entire album at a time so having a fully indexed library isn't really a big deal for me.

11. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Hmm... That file system may actually work with what I have by default, which is artist folder, albums arranged by year and then the songs. Do the FIIO devices have a "shuffle all" or some similar function?

12. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I first bought the iPod when it was it's 3rd gen, the one with the light up press buttons. It had 20 gb I believe. I got it from CompUSA and I also bought a case with it. It came with a dock at that time. Since then I bought every iPod ever including the photo, the mini, and the shuffle. I hung on to my first one and then it died when it slipped and fell into the toilet bowl (yea don't ask how) but that was the end of that one. Right now I still have my iPod 5.5 with 80 gb, the monochrome 4th gen with 40 gb, the mini, the first shuffle, the second gen nano, the 160 gb Classic, and a 128gb iPod Touch. To this day I maintain that a Mac formatted iPod sounds better than a PC formatted one, regardless of whether it is a Mp3, ALAC, or AAC.

Runicen likes this.
  13. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

I believe you can do a "shuffle all" if you index the files on the device and use the regular (non file/folder) interface.

Runicen likes this.
  14. The7thStranger

My new Mini came!

I've been working on it all day, and it's not up and running. Syncing now:

[​IMG]

Bhob and Rolltide like this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'd like to be 26 again:cheers:

Mr X likes this.
  16. The7thStranger

Funny. I'd like to 6 again.

17. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'd settle for 46.

Mr X and The7thStranger like this.
  18. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Can I just have my 19 year old body back and keep my present mind in it? I wouldn't mind being indestructible again. :D

billnunan and timind like this.
  19. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I feel a little sad/nostalgic thinking about some of these gadgets, how much I enjoyed them and how short their eras lasted.

I got my little one-speaker Radionette radio with cassette deck when I was 7 years old in 1985.

A double deck cassette radio with speakers that you could move further away (forgot the brand) in 1988.

A Sony Walkman in 1990.

A NAD CD-player in 1994.

A portable Sony Minidisc player in 1999.

A JVC boombox for student life in 2000.

iRiver mp3-player 2005.

iPod (classic) 2007.

My current home system (Onkyo/B&W etc) in 2008.

iPhones since 2011.

Now I only use the last two...

Runicen likes this.
  20. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

The iPod hard drives were too sensitive to shock, they never had enough hard drive space, you couldn't do basic things like customize the EQ/listen in MONO/change output sensitivity, and the DAC was garbage that you couldn't easily bypass for some reason. Good riddance.

21. The7thStranger

PREACH!

Here's a full list of the portable devices I've used over the past 15 years as DAPs:

• iRiver IFP-300 - 5/5 - Capacity was either 256MB or 512MB. I can't recall.
    • iRiver IFP-180 - 3/5 - 128MB
    • iRiver H120 - 5/5 - 20GB
    • iPod+HP - 4th Generation - 3/5 - 20GB
    • iPod - 5th Generation (Video) - 4/5 - 80GB
    • iPod Mini - 1st Generation - 4/5 - 4GB
    • iPod Mini - 1st Generation 4/5 - 4GB upgraded to 128GB
    • iPod Nano - 3rd Generation - 4.5/5 - 8GB
    • iPod Touch - 1st Generation - 3/5 - 8GB
    • iPod Shuffle - 1st Generation - 2/5 - 1GB
    • iPod Shuffle - 2nd Generation - 1.5/5 - 2GB
    • DMC Digmind Xclef HD-500 - 5/5 - 80GB (later 40GB)
    • Creative Zen "Touch" - 3.5/5 - 20GB
    • Creative Zen Vision: M - 4/5 - 30GB
    • Sansa Sandisk Clip - 1st Generation - 5/5 - 4GB
    • Sansa Sandisk m200 - 4/5 - 1GB
    • Samsung YP-K3 - 3/5 - 2GB
    • Archos Jukebox (???) - 1/5 - 20GB
    • Sony Walkman NWZ (E Series?) - 4/5 - 16GB
    • Zune - 4/5 - 30GB
    • Zune 3G - 4/5 - 8GB
    • Zune 120 - 4.5/5 - 120GB
    Phones:
    • HTC Droid Incredible - 5/5
    • HTC Droid Incredible 2 - 1/5
    • Samsung Galaxy Nexus One - 3/5
    • Medion E5001 - 4/5
    • Nokia Lumia 820 - 3/5
    • Nokia Lumia 520 - 4/5
    • LG Quantum (Windows) - 3.5/5
    • Sony Xperia Z1 - 4/5
    • iPhone 4S - 3/5

billnunan likes this.
  22. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Quite a list!

23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Does anybody remember iTunes Essentials playlists in the iTunes Store? Why did they do away with those? Some of those were good playlists.

24. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I bought one (a 1GB) after reading that they could pass a very nice squarewave out of the headphone jack. That impressed me at the time, for some reason. I read some reports that it was the best sounding ipod - due to reasons that I have forgotten. I thought that I would put enough wave files to get me through a work shift and keep rotating those. I ended up filling it with 320kbps mp3. I experimented with IEMs until I found a Sony brand ($50) that seemed like a good sonic match. I even bought a nice case that I attached to a lanyard. I enjoyed it back then.

It must be around the house somewhere. I'd like to listen to it again.

Runicen likes this.
  25. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

You can turn off notices on your phone so you can listen uninterrupted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.